TMC Hiring Process

LimaRomeo

Thinking about applying for TMC position in the near future. Wondering what that process was like for people who are currently (or formerly) in the position. What was the interview like. Is TMU REALLY that great?

I was offered a center TMC position without TM or enroute experience. Also knew nobody at the facility and there was no interview either. Just depends on the facility you are applying to, they can all handle things differently.

I was offered a center TMC position without TM or enroute experience. Also knew nobody at the facility and there was no interview either. Just depends on the facility you are applying to, they can all handle things differently.
How long did it take to get offered the position from applying?

I know a guy that washed at level 9 up/down, certified level 5 tower, washed level 11 center, certified level 6 tower then got picked up at Oakland Center TMU

-the selecting official was probably like, oh look center experience, Boom!

Most of the centers hire TMCs from within with 1 out of 20 being from outside. The experience is different depending on facility. In general i feel the more streams of traffic or volume complexity the better the tmu unit is regarded. Most center controllers with no experience think all you do is say released and then get upset if they have to vector a departed aircraft. In reallity tmc mange volume and routes. Wx wants to have 30 extra planes an hour through our south sectors we try and take 10 through someone else. A thunderstorm 20mile wide i dont care. One from tx to ohio is a major day.

Most center controllers with no experience think all you do is say released and then get upset if they have to vector a departed aircraft.

HAHAHAHA.

Most TMU people who haven’t worked the boards very long and end up in TMU quite early in their careers have that kind of view I find...

Most of the centers hire TMCs from within with 1 out of 20 being from outside. The experience is different depending on facility. In general i feel the more streams of traffic or volume complexity the better the tmu unit is regarded. Most center controllers with no experience think all you do is say released and then get upset if they have to vector a departed aircraft. In reallity tmc mange volume and routes. Wx wants to have 30 extra planes an hour through our south sectors we try and take 10 through someone else. A thunderstorm 20mile wide i dont care. One from tx to ohio is a major day.
That must be why I end up with 17 minute metering delays on a TMU assigned time

What? Weather negatively impacts operations? Tell us more, Mr Wizard.

HAHAHAHA.

Most TMU people who haven’t worked the boards very long and end up in TMU quite early in their careers have that kind of view I find...

LOL denial isn't just a river in Africa! anyone in TMU who isn't honest enough to admit its a joke and an amazing scam that they are on the AT pay scale (+ good time!) is lying like hell or delusional. TMU is almost universally where weak and/or scared controllers go to dodge traffic and get off the boards. In rare instances people use it for points as a stepping stone for career progression; and those aren't "lifers". Or to transfer somewhere desirable.

For the original poster.... don't do it if you have any self respect. Go there if you want the easy life and amazing lunch runs. No, TMU is really NOT that great.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom