TSA PreCheck

I've heard the FAA authorized TSA Pre-Check is only for those who actually hold security clearances, so basically only center controllers... can anyone confirm or deny this?

I've heard the FAA authorized TSA Pre-Check is only for those who actually hold security clearances, so basically only center controllers... can anyone confirm or deny this?
Doesn’t everyone have a security clearance? Just differing levels? I know in terminal I have a secret clearance, but I think thats a recent thing.

yup, just received via FAA email, check there if you hold a clearance (unsure what level you need), and might have a hyperlink. took all of 5 min to get my new KTN

Oh I don't actually care, I've got Global Entry. Just trying to verify before I tell my coworkers.... sounds like for once something may actually be easy with the FAA?

Oh I don't actually care, I've got Global Entry. Just trying to verify before I tell my coworkers.... sounds like for once something may actually be easy with the FAA?
It you search “TSA precheck” on my.faa.gov it has the FAQ’s for the program. Looks like it says:

“FAA Federal employees with a security clearance (Secret, Top Secret, and Top Secret-SCI) are eligible to participate in TSA PreCheck at no cost through an agreement between the FAA and TSA”

Based on that looks like you do need an actual active clearance, not just a public trust.

If you already have security clearance do you have to go to an interview for global entry ?

If you already have security clearance do you have to go to an interview for global entry ?
Global entry interview is required for them to get your biometrics (fingerprints) and teach you how to use the machine.

My kid got global entry when she was like 2 and had to get an ‘interview’. We had to go back this year when we renewed it for another ‘Interview’ for them to get her fingerprints since she was too small the first time.

Gotta love the government.

I did the opt-in last week and received a KTN which I added to my upcoming flight itinerary. I tried to go through TSA pre check and they denied me saying I wasn't in the system. Somehow I'm not surprised ?

Edit- got it fixed. It was because I didn't put my middle name on my boarding pass. Has to be exactly the same.

Last edited:
Interesting, just checked all my emails going back to April
It seems like it’s mainly center folks, or those that currently hold atleast a secret clearance. It also seems to be going out in waves.
Low level VFR tower? Yea, good luck. ???‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom