TSEW and TETRA, what’s the difference?

LEAD004

I thought TSEW was a two week course, but I read somewhere else that it’s four. How long is it? Do all transfers that only have level 8 and below experience still have to go to it? Is TETRA only for N90 folks? What do you learn in each? Is each one pass/fail? Any other info. you all may have is appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
I thought TSEW was a two week course, but I read somewhere else that it’s four. How long is it? Do all transfers that only have level 8 and below experience still have to go to it? Is TETRA only for N90 folks? What do you learn in each? Is each one pass/fail? Any other info. you all may have is appreciated. Thanks!
TSEW is for anyone transferring to a terminal radar facility of lvl 9 and above. You are correct in presuming that TETRA is an N90 specific course. N90 is typically a pass/fail as it is a selection factor for being able to report to N90 to enter training. TSEW is not and can never be pass/fail since it is technically a workshop, (Terminal Radar Skill Enhancement Workshop.) Now, the main difference between the two is...
TSEW is for anyone transferring to a terminal radar facility of lvl 9 and above. You are correct in presuming that TETRA is an N90 specific course. N90 is typically a pass/fail as it is a selection factor for being able to report to N90 to enter training. TSEW is not and can never be pass/fail since it is technically a workshop, (Terminal Radar Skill Enhancement Workshop.) Now, the main difference between the two is that TSEW furthers on RTF in that it focuses on class bravo service area elements and running a final using “C to A” techniques. TETRA focuses on that but with some more small nuances that require just a bit more situational awareness during periods of high traffic load, it is debated to be an irrelevant course altogether. As for course lengths I’m not sure. Hope this helps!

Solution
TSEW is for anyone transferring to a terminal radar facility of lvl 9 and above. You are correct in presuming that TETRA is an N90 specific course. N90 is typically a pass/fail as it is a selection factor for being able to report to N90 to enter training. TSEW is not and can never be pass/fail since it is technically a workshop, (Terminal Radar Skill Enhancement Workshop.) Now, the main difference between the two is that TSEW furthers on RTF in that it focuses on class bravo service area elements and running a final using “C to A” techniques. TETRA focuses on that but with some more small nuances that require just a bit more situational awareness during periods of high traffic load, it is debated to be an irrelevant course altogether. As for course lengths I’m not sure. Hope this helps!
What is C to A?

Also, thanks so much! Very helpful response.

I sequence all the time, I have no idea what “C to A” means.
C to A is a sequencing technique in which you have aircraft A in front of aircraft C on final with a decent gap in between. “C to A” focuses on fitting aircraft B in between them from a downwind/base turn in different weight category and speed situations. They touch on it a tiny bit at RTF depending on instructors but TSEW has official focus on it.

You use it all the time most likely without knowing you are using it. Essentially, it's just talking about the spacing between number 1 and number 3 in a sequence so number 2 fits in between.
WOW. Thank you. A competent being- refreshing. I really thought “C to A” was something I haven’t heard of with ACTUAL meaning and a game changer. Turns out it’s just BS lingo again trying to make the job sound more complex than it actually is. I love all the type A personalities up in here thinking they’re dope as F by answering Q’s by creating more Q’s, puffing their chests up thinking they’re making a difference in this world. This forum must be full of supervisors.

C to A is a sequencing technique in which you have aircraft A in front of aircraft C on final with a decent gap in between. “C to A” focuses on fitting aircraft B in between them from a downwind/base turn in different weight category and speed situations. They touch on it a tiny bit at RTF depending on instructors but TSEW has official focus on it.
Thanks. I appreciate it!

WOW. Thank you. A competent being- refreshing. I really thought “C to A” was something I haven’t heard of with ACTUAL meaning and a game changer. Turns out it’s just BS lingo again trying to make the job sound more complex than it actually is. I love all the type A personalities up in here thinking they’re dope as F by answering Q’s by creating more Q’s, puffing their chests up thinking they’re making a difference in this world. This forum must be full of supervisors.

Thanks. I appreciate it!
It's a little more than that especially when it comes to feeding because you have an A aircraft and a C aircraft and if you have 20 or so miles between your A and C you have to determine how many aircraft in the downwind or on base can fit between them when they get on final and when you as a feeder have to start vectoring guys out to build space so you don't overload the final box and force final to extend outside their airspace.

Pretty much a useless course for most of the radars I've seen, but apparently C90 developed the technique so maybe pretty busy places actually use it 🤷‍♂️

Also both TSEW and TETRA are about a month long. TSEW could be two weeks but idk much about what is actually taught in TETRA other than it's a much busier version of TSEW and RTF and that it is pass fail

It's a little more than that especially when it comes to feeding because you have an A aircraft and a C aircraft and if you have 20 or so miles between your A and C you have to determine how many aircraft in the downwind or on base can fit between them when they get on final and when you as a feeder have to start vectoring guys out to build space so you don't overload the final box and force final to extend outside their airspace.

Pretty much a useless course for most of the radars I've seen, but apparently C90 developed the technique so maybe pretty busy places actually use it 🤷‍♂️

Also both TSEW and TETRA are about a month long. TSEW could be two weeks but idk much about what is actually taught in TETRA other than it's a much busier version of TSEW and RTF and that it is pass fail
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Back
Top Bottom