Using LWOP for time off for Childcare

PapaTF

Lurker
Does anyone have any experience with using LWOP to take some extended time off for child care? Or know if this is even allowed if staffing permits? Here is the situation. We used FMLA/LWOP when they were born but have since gone back full time and have been using daycare/nannies ever since. We’re just wondering if we can use LWOP again (a year later) to be able to stay home and care for them for a few months while one of us continues to work full time in a another field.

Has anyone ever heard of LWOP being used like this?

Does anyone have any experience with using LWOP to take some extended time off for child care? Or know if this is even allowed if staffing permits? Here is the situation. We used FMLA/LWOP when they were born but have since gone back full time and have been using daycare/nannies ever since. We’re just wondering if we can use LWOP again (a year later) to be able to stay home and care for them for a few months while one of us continues to work full time in a another field.

If you can get it approved by your facility I don’t see why not. But they don’t have to approve it.

You can use LWOP for whatever you want, it's your leave.

But is there a limit on how much you can use? Ideally would like to be able keep annual to be used later and just use LWOP. Essentially just trying to take another leave of absence (3-4mth) for child care, and not sure the best way or if there is even a way to do this.

But is there a limit on how much you can use? Ideally would like to be able keep annual to be used later and just use LWOP. Essentially just trying to take another leave of absence (3-4mth) for child care, and not sure the best way or if there is even a way to do this.
LWOP starts messing with benefits after I believe 5 months, someone might know better on here or BOC. That's the only caveat to it that I know of

LWOP starts messing with benefits after I believe 5 months, someone might know better on here or BOC. That's the only caveat to it that I know of

Great to know, so LWOP works completely independently of annual/sick and no limit on amount as long as it can be approved?(Other than benefits) Never used LWOP before other than at birth so unsure exactly how much and when it can be used. Thanks all for the information so far.

Great to know, so LWOP works completely independently of annual/sick and no limit on amount as long as it can be approved?(Other than benefits) Never used LWOP before other than at birth so unsure exactly how much and when it can be used. Thanks all for the information so far.
Whatever you and management come to agreement on LWOP is available, it's leave without any type of compensation so there isn't really a limit.

Article 26 Section 8 addresses this. Your ATM must approve it and it is based on staffing/workload. If it is going to cost the FAA OT money you can bet your ATM will deny it.

Back
Top Bottom