VA Benefits for Flight Training

Gusher

Has anyone on here used their VA benefits for flight training? I have my PPL, would like to finish a couple ratings when I retire.
Thanks

you can go to the VA site and see what programs qualify. I think the gist is they have to be for job training, not just a leisure thing, but I may be misremembering.

I am about to start mine at a part 141 school so the GI Bill pays for it all. What MJ said, VA website will have the info.

I’ve heard a lot of really good things with the liberty univ. partner programs. Basically FBOs sign up and they run a satellite 141 program through and accredited by liberty university, but you do all the work locally. The one around my Area was like flight school of the year last year and has all the special aopa/eaa/whatever awards

You get more bang for your buck if you go to a university with an in-house flight program. Going 141 will deplete your G.I. Bill even before you get your SEL COMM add-on. You said you're retiring, so it's possible you already have a degree...in that case, go crazy with 141 but have low expectations on how far it will last.

You get more bang for your buck if you go to a university with an in-house flight program. Going 141 will deplete your G.I. Bill even before you get your SEL COMM add-on. You said you're retiring, so it's possible you already have a degree...in that case, go crazy with 141 but have low expectations on how far it will last.

Ummmm. Well now im wondering why the VA rep at that school said the GI Bill would cover all the degree.

Yeah already have a degree. I just wonder if it’s worth it to start another degree and just focus on the flying.

Ummmm. Well now im wondering why the VA rep at that school said the GI Bill would cover all the degree.
It will cover all of the degree, and if the flight training is in-house and part of the degree, it will cover all the flying as well. If you go to a non-university Part 141, it gets used up faster and you won't get as much of the flying covered. Go to a school, you get all the flying covered. Downside is you have to do regular classes in addition to flying.

you also get housing allowance if it’s part of a degree program, which depending where you live can be over $3k/mo tax free.

It will cover all of the degree, and if the flight training is in-house and part of the degree, it will cover all the flying as well. If you go to a non-university Part 141, it gets used up faster and you won't get as much of the flying covered. Go to a school, you get all the flying covered. Downside is you have to do regular classes in addition to flying.
Ok cuz reading that initial post sounded to me like it gets used up b4 the flying certs. Had me scared there for a sec!

Anyone apply for FAFSA or Yellow Ribbon and get any money? Thinking I might make too much to get anything. 73k btw.

Back
Top Bottom