VFR cancel flight following to avoid following a vector

CaptainObvious

Forum Sage
Not true...

NOTE−
VFR aircraft not at an altitude assigned by ATC may be vectored at any altitude. It is the responsibility of the pilot to comply with the applicable parts of CFR Title 14
Yeah that’s exactly what I was saying. You can’t both assign an altitude and vector unless it’s above the mva. If he’s maintaining VFR and is below the MVA it’s his responsibility to maintain terrain separation in the vector

Josephml21

Trusted Contributor
Yeah that’s exactly what I was saying. You can’t both assign an altitude and vector unless it’s above the mva. If he’s maintaining VFR and is below the MVA it’s his responsibility to maintain terrain separation in the vector
I picked up on that afterwards. Sorry brother.

GMX

Trusted Contributor
A little off the original topic but still kind of related: There's a guy in our nightly arrival push that's known to be a bit dour and impatient. We're in a Class C so we vector IFR and VFR for the sequence. If we're on visual approaches and he's got the field 25 miles out, he's always put off if issued a vector or altitude for the sequence.

I have him near the downwind once and issue a 90 heading for the sequence and number 5...he's all, "Cancel IFR, and runway in sight" or something. I reply, "Cancellation received, maintain VFR, continue 090 heading, still number 5, it's a class C and we vector VFR and you won't beat the other planes just because you're VFR now".

He didn't like still being #5.

Robertb

Forum Sage
FAA
Facility
A80 Atlanta Tracon
A little off the original topic but still kind of related: There's a guy in our nightly arrival push that's known to be a bit dour and impatient. We're in a Class C so we vector IFR and VFR for the sequence. If we're on visual approaches and he's got the field 25 miles out, he's always put off if issued a vector or altitude for the sequence.

I have him near the downwind once and issue a 90 heading for the sequence and number 5...he's all, "Cancel IFR, and runway in sight" or something. I reply, "Cancellation received, maintain VFR, continue 090 heading, still number 5, it's a class C and we vector VFR and you won't beat the other planes just because you're VFR now".

He didn't like still being #5.
He can always remain outside the Charlie and be number 9 or 10, if he doesn’t want to comply with ATC instructions. Someone has to be first and someone has to be last...

GMX

Trusted Contributor
Heh I know. That's why it's funny. He thought being VFR was going to let him turn right in front of someone and be a tie over the numbers or something. Oh, and he was already in the C when he canceled.

Last edited: