vfr to ifr airfile

Curious what the consensus is on vfr aircraft requesting airborne IFR flight plans.

We had a vfr pop up call today (weather is 10 and clr) and want an ifr for 300 miles out of my airspace. I said I couldn't at the time and it's been a hotly debated thing the last 4 hours.

I've got about 17 years in and it's never been questioned. The .65 mentions "airfile" and "vfr to ifr" only a couple times.

Under clearance items section there is limited guidance.

What do you guys/ gals do and why? Thanks for the wisdom.

Yah that’s why they call for IFR…
And if we passively deny him IFR services because of workload? Bottom line, they’re operating under VFR until you say “cleared to…” until then they’re required to maintain clear of clouds even if it means turning back the other direction until an IFR clearance is issued.

EDIT: I’m not saying that’s right or good service to anyone, but that could happen in a sector overload situation.

Exactly, so if there isn’t any filed flight plan prior to them requesting IFR, you need to ensure the pilot can maintain their own obstruction and terrain clearance until they are at a safe altitude.
That’s for if you have reason to believe they may not be able to do that. I.e. because of present/forecasted weather.

If the pertinent METAR is calling CLR and 10SM, you don’t have to ask that.

Last edited:
There’s no en route metars. I think what you got here is center people and Tracon people not understanding each other
Yeah I can understand that, but y’all don’t have any ERIDS capability to display metars at different airports with ASOS/AWOS on site?

If not, I would think the forecast in your pre-duty weather brief would suffice to a reasonable extent. If it’s supposed to be clear and a million all shift I wouldn’t worry about it. If a can of socked-in soup is getting opened around XXXXZ then I suppose you could pay attention to the time and/or pireps in the area, again workload permitting until someone attempting to pick up IFR in the air throws a “pan-pan” in your ear.

Last edited:
Yeah I can understand that, but y’all don’t have any ERIDS capability to display metars at different airports with ASOS/AWOS on site?

If not, I would think the forecast in your pre-duty weather brief would suffice to a reasonable extent. If it’s supposed to be clear and a million all shift I wouldn’t worry about it. If a can of socked-in soup is getting opened around XXXXZ then I suppose you could pay attention to the time and/or pireps in the area, again workload permitting until someone attempting to pick up IFR in the air throws a “pan-pan” in your ear.
You can’t just assume the weather in a mountain pass or some other high terrain area.

You can see the metar at the airport. There’s lots of room that isn’t airport that has an AWOS
Okay so use the meters you have access to or ask if they can maintain their own terrain and obstruction clearance until the applicable altitude. Bottom line tho is you do not always have to ask that if you have no reason to believe they can’t in order to pick up IFR in the air.

Back
Top Bottom