Why do people typically fail out of the FAA academy?

Either “that guy” who failed out of basics, or just made it across the street i believe from his timeline.

Academy failure here. Enroute 2018.

I just sucked at it. I wasn't mentally tough enough to handle critique from the instructors. I had a share of good runs, but the toll the bad runs took on me was too much. Lost all confidence by the final week. It's a gauntlet.

No nerves going into final evals because I knew it was a long shot. Stayed cool and gave it my best. Sure enough, I bombed it. I have no business working traffic.

All that said, it is very doable. I believe that. I just wasn't up to the challenge. The skies are a safer place without me.

Good luck to anyone who goes for it.

Last edited:
Academy failure here. Enroute 2018.

I just sucked at it. I wasn't mentally tough enough to handle critique from the instructors. I had a share of good runs, but the toll the bad runs took on me was too much. Lost all confidence by the final week. It's a gauntlet.

No nerves going into final evals because I knew it was a long shot. Stayed cool and gave it my best. Sure enough, I bombed it. I have no business working traffic.

All that said, it is very doable. I believe that. I just wasn't up to the challenge. The skies are a safer place without me.

Good luck to anyone who goes for it.

I know it doesn’t mean anything but I always appreciate and respect anyone that can own their shortcomings, learn from them and move on. We have all not done well at something in our lives.

Good luck.

Not sure if it's been said, but usually because they don't get perfect book scores before the sims.

And there is usually a guy who doesnt really care about passing because he is from a rich family and owns a string of Subways and some shitty hotels, something along those lines.

Not sure if it's been said, but usually because they don't get perfect book scores before the sims.

And there is usually a guy who doesnt really care about passing because he is from a rich family and owns a string of Subways and some shitty hotels, something along those lines.

I had some of the worst book test scores and passed 3rd in my class, doesn’t mean you’re out if you score low on the CKT

First thing when I went to A-school in the Navy to learn ATC, I got a tour of the student side of the base. The guy leading the tour walked around pointing out the different places he had thrown up or passed out, which was several.

He didn't have a rating -- because he got kicked out of the AC (air traffic controller) rating.

That was the majority of people during my time there that didn't make it through ATC training. Not specifically being an alcoholic, but either not caring enough or finding so many other things to do than studying and attempting to learn the job. There were only a few people I knew of that just plain didn't get it. Either that or they were good at book work and sucked at sims or vice versa. I was the latter. Killed the sims but could never score above an 80% on the tests.

Honestly, I think I learned more shit on Google than I did straight out of the book. Back when the .65 looked like pig latin to me. A third party translating the book language into plain language and giving context or examples helped a lot.

Last edited:
First thing when I went to A-school in the Navy to learn ATC, I got a tour of the student side of the base. The guy leading the tour walked around pointing out the different places he had thrown up or passed out, which was several.

I was in P-cola back in ‘06 and I could still point out all the places I threw up or passed out. Namely, Portside. I was an AO though and that’s pretty much what we do...

He didn't have a rating -- because he got kicked out of the AC (air traffic controller) rating.

That was the majority of people during my time there that didn't make it through ATC training. Not specifically being an alcoholic, but either not caring enough or finding so many other things to do than studying and attempting to learn the job. There were only a few people I knew of that just plain didn't get it. Either that or they were good at book work and sucked at sims or vice versa. I was the latter. Killed the sims but could never score above an 80% on the tests.

Honestly, I think I learned more shit on Google than I did straight out of the book. Back when the .65 looked like pig latin to me. A third party translating the book language into plain language and giving context or examples helped a lot.
Charts and publications was an absolute ass kicker!

I failed airport lighting and markings because I couldn't bring myself give enough of a fuck about the amount of feet between white dashed lines. It was the one test that was packed with numbers I had to memorize. Wasn't good at it then.

I failed airport lighting and markings because I couldn't bring myself give enough of a fuck about the amount of feet between white dashed lines. It was the one test that was packed with numbers I had to memorize. Wasn't good at it then.
How's our old friend from MRY/SAV doing at POC?

Back
Top Bottom