Your first apartment/house at your first facility

Bart Harley Jarvis

Trusted Contributor
So whenever I go to my first tower, most seem to start at around $45k and go from there. Financially speaking, how did you go about purchasing/renting your first place knowing you would more than likely not be at AG pay the entire year?

Good life lesson that took me some years to figure out is learn to live below your means. If you rent/purchase anything with the expectation of what you will eventually be making, bad things can happen. My advice would be to find an apartment/house that you can afford on AG pay (obviously take into account your life situation, the area its in, etc) for an extended period of time. That way if training takes longer than expected, you aren't putting yourself further in debt by renting/purchasing a place expecting that raise in x amount of time and when you do get a raise, you'll have extra income for other things since your rent/mortgage isn't taking up a huge portion of your pay.

Good life lesson that took me some years to figure out is learn to live below your means. If you rent/purchase anything with the expectation of what you will eventually be making, bad things can happen. My advice would be to find an apartment/house that you can afford on AG pay (obviously take into account your life situation, the area its in, etc) for an extended period of time. That way if training takes longer than expected, you aren't putting yourself further in debt by renting/purchasing a place expecting that raise in x amount of time and when you do get a raise, you'll have extra income for other things since your rent/mortgage isn't taking up a huge portion of your pay.

I know everyones experience is different but if you don't mind me asking what level tower did you start at and how long did it take between AG to D1, D1 to D2, etc?

I know everyones experience is different but if you don't mind me asking what level tower did you start at and how long did it take between AG to D1, D1 to D2, etc?

Level 5 tower in a very high cost of living area. It took about 3-4 months from when I walked in the door to get D3 (GC). I've been here about 8 months and am close to certifying on LC. I'm not at your typical level 5, as we are class B and have a multitude of other things going on that won't/don't happen on a daily basis at most other airports. The training here has been great, but a very slow going process. I got GC just above minimums and just hit minimums on LC last week, so you can do the math on how long it can potentially take. Every place will be different depending on the operation, the person training and even who your trainers are. A friend of mine started the same day at a different low level tower and was fully certified within a couple months and is already transferring out to a new place. Every situation, facility, person, etc is unique so definitely plan your life around what you can actively afford, instead of what you will potentially be able to down the road.

Another piece of advice is dont blow all off your perdiem money in OKC. You can pocket a couple of grand if you stay at a place like Kims, it helps when you are on AG pay for a while at your facility.

Level 5 tower in a very high cost of living area. It took about 3-4 months from when I walked in the door to get D3 (GC). I've been here about 8 months and am close to certifying on LC. I'm not at your typical level 5, as we are class B and have a multitude of other things going on that won't/don't happen on a daily basis at most other airports. The training here has been great, but a very slow going process. I got GC just above minimums and just hit minimums on LC last week, so you can do the math on how long it can potentially take. Every place will be different depending on the operation, the person training and even who your trainers are. A friend of mine started the same day at a different low level tower and was fully certified within a couple months and is already transferring out to a new place. Every situation, facility, person, etc is unique so definitely plan your life around what you can actively afford, instead of what you will potentially be able to down the road.

Your airspace is Class Bravo but you’re a level 5 tower...?

Another piece of advice is dont blow all off your perdiem money in OKC. You can pocket a couple of grand if you stay at a place like Kims, it helps when you are on AG pay for a while at your facility.

I haven't sat down yet and looked at all the places to live, but Kim's place is definitely at the top of my list for convenience sake and having study groups.

Also, forgot to ask, I'm assuming you stayed there? I saw it had food options how does that work do they like bring you groceries haha?

Level 7 up/down. Don't have a D1. Ground certified in 3 months to get D2. No raise after Local. Was D3 and CPC 12 months after D2 on checkrides back-to-back.
Some towers you'll be able to alternate training sessions on ground and local. Some you can't train on local until after getting ground. I like training people on ground and local combined so they can really learn how to prioritize.

Yeah, I'm over at ADW. We're only 7nm away from DCA, so we fall within the B.
It's not that ADW falls within the Class B of DCA....ADW has their own Class B airspace that would exist even if DCA wasn't there. Look at the airspace rings on a sectional, ADW, DCA, IAD, and BWI all have distinct Class B rings and shelfs.

Dallas Love is in the class B airspace of DFW, but it is not a Class B airport. Same as Nellis being in the Class B of Las Vegas.

Also, forgot to ask, I'm assuming you stayed there? I saw it had food options how does that work do they like bring you groceries haha?

I actually stayed at Anatole but one guy in my class got the food pack and she goes out and buys groceries and delivers it to you. If you dont have a car and want to cook the food pack is a good option but you get a ton of food for one person.

Don't take it, they give you 37 a day for food, you can't possibly spend that much on food each day

Even if you get the food pack you still get the 37 a day for meals.

I actually stayed at Anatole but one guy in my class got the food pack and she goes out and buys groceries and delivers it to you. If you dont have a car and want to cook the food pack is a good option but you get a ton of food for one person.

Even if you get the food pack you still get the 37 a day for meals.
And they charge more for the housing, I mean if he wants to save money its always easier to buy your own food

Of course its easier to buy your own food but like i said if you dont have a car its a good option to have. Its not like you have to keep the food pack for your entire stay, if you wanted to cancel after the first round i think she will let you.

It's not that ADW falls within the Class B of DCA....ADW has their own Class B airspace that would exist even if DCA wasn't there. Look at the airspace rings on a sectional, ADW, DCA, IAD, and BWI all have distinct Class B rings and shelfs.

True, true.

Back
Top Bottom