Academy pay question

It’s closer to $60k/year gross including housing per diem.
$105.60/day in Per Diem x 365 Days = $38,544
11.80/hour x 40 hours x 52 weeks = $24,544
$38,544 + $24,544 = $63,088.
Again, that’s Gross pay before benefits, Uncle Sam, and that housing per diem going straight to the provider. That’s really too bad they took that away from people. I left OKC with a few grand saved up.

You need to account for the fact that the per diem is tax free, essentially making it worth 1.35 X what you’re take home is if you are comparing to a normal salary.

So $38,544 is really worth about $58,400 (in a normal gross pay job)

$24,544+$58,400 = $82,944.

You actually take a pay cut when you become AG pay.

Doesn’t pertain to all candidates but military members can also collect their OJT portion of the GI Bill each month up to the time you CPC. That can add up over the course of your training.

It’s not impossible, my wife and I crunched the numbers. Essentially I could save up to $4k in OKC. Many housing providers provide food now. So if you say you can’t survive off academy pay, then I guess you desire to eat a 3 star Michelin restaurants, and go to the club every single day of the week. If your contemplating your earnings while in OKC and thinking you can’t survive, just remember you’re there to make it through training and not live a glamours life.

It’s not impossible, my wife and I crunched the numbers. Essentially I could save up to $4k in OKC. Many housing providers provide food now. So if you say you can’t survive off academy pay, then I guess you desire to eat a 3 star Michelin restaurants, and go to the club every single day of the week. If your contemplating your earnings while in OKC and thinking you can’t survive, just remember you’re there to make it through training and not live a glamours life.
Obviously everyone's situation is different. Yes, for you, you may be in a financial situation that allows for you to save all of the money you make here. In reality, I would say that's more rare than you think.

I don't know anyone in my class that can save $4k in our time here. People can definitely save money, but none of us go out very often, if at all, and most of us don't eat out too much.

If you have health insurance already and are able to keep it, great, that saves you money. If you dont, then prepare for your checks to be ~$500/check. And that's after not receiving your first check for 3 weeks or so. As far as the housing providers that provide food options, they vary depending on who you go through, but you also lose the comfort of having your own privacy. We had two guys staying with crash pads that still ended up moving to Anatole because they preferred to live in their own space and be closer to the rest of the class.

Obviously everyone's situation is different. Yes, for you, you may be in a financial situation that allows for you to save all of the money you make here. In reality, I would say that's more rare than you think.

I don't know anyone in my class that can save $4k in our time here. People can definitely save money, but none of us go out very often, if at all, and most of us don't eat out too much.

If you have health insurance already and are able to keep it, great, that saves you money. If you dont, then prepare for your checks to be ~$500/check. And that's after not receiving your first check for 3 weeks or so. As far as the housing providers that provide food options, they vary depending on who you go through, but you also lose the comfort of having your own privacy. We had two guys staying with crash pads that still ended up moving to Anatole because they preferred to live in their own space and be closer to the rest of the class.
The insurance bit should be helpful. I get that VA healthcare for the free lol. But like all things, you get what you pay for ??

Not saying everyone is in the same situation as I am. But everyone should realize it’s not impossible. There are far more other jobs out there that you rack up six figures in debt and have to pay that debt off over your life time. You start off being broke in ATC, but how much debt did you rack up while at OKC. It wouldn’t be six figures. There’s light at the end of the tunnel.

I went to the Academy with my wife and was able to save more than enough to pay for my move of over 1000 miles after placement. Keep in mind, you get free housing while in OKC, which in most cases includes utilities and internet.

Your food per diem is $40 per day. If you spend $100 a week at the grocery store, you can easily feed a family of two. Doing that allows you to bank over $700 per month just in food per diem. That’s on top of your salary which equates out to over $1000 per month in most cases (depending on insurance options, TSP contributions, etc).

Even if you spend half of your $1700 a month on misc. bills and expenses, you could save $850/mo in Oklahoma. That’s almost $3500 over 4 months.

It may not be true in every case (especially if you have multiple kids, tons of debt, an emergency, etc.), but for the most part, the average person should be able to save a good amount while at the Academy.

Anyone know the updated per diem or hourly rates? If it changed from these numbers at all after the new year/fiscal year?

Anyone know the updated per diem or hourly rates? If it changed from these numbers at all after the new year/fiscal year?
$12.22 hourly, $38.60 Meals and Incedentals, $63 housing that is billed directly to the FAA so all housing costs that much now, but a lot will buy food for you. I know at Kim's, you get plenty of groceries and house supplies every two weeks, so I almost never spend out of my $38.60 except for gas, but you could take the shuttle and not have to spend that either.

$12.22 hourly, $38.60 Meals and Incedentals, $63 housing that is billed directly to the FAA so all housing costs that much now, but a lot will buy food for you. I know at Kim's, you get plenty of groceries and house supplies every two weeks, so I almost never spend out of my $38.60 except for gas, but you could take the shuttle and not have to spend that either.

Thanks! When I was at the academy we didn't get per diem lol so this is all new to me (my husband is going in a couple months)

Back
Top Bottom