RV Living at The Academy - Am I Crazy?

hudso

Hey there folks!

I just today received my FAA Start Date email, and even though my Virtual Basics don't start for another 6 weeks, my brain has been racing trying to pre-arrange all the upcoming logistics of attending the Academy in OKC. (3/21/24 Virtual #178695 and 4/24/24 OKC #178696)

My biggest unanswered question involves accommodations while I'm up in OKC - I've read many a thread about Anatole/Kims/AirBnB (not anymore!)/Hotel living and making the best of the new Per Diem restrictions, but I've not seen anything about staying at a local campground in an RV. I currently live in a fully paid off camper down in Texas, and - until seeing specifics on the Per Diem allotment today - tentatively planned on towing it up to OKC and finding a nice quiet RV park with hookups to lease a space at for the duration of the Academy. That way, I don't actually have to worry about "moving" my belongings or family in any traditional sense - just pack everything up tight and start driving north! I've already made some inquiries in Oklahoma RVing Facebook groups and have a decent shortlist of campgrounds within a reasonable distance of the Academy. While I'm sure I could get receipts for the campsite and any utilities, I doubt that the FAA would let me rent the camper from myself or cover my expenses to tow it up there, so I'm curious if it still makes financial sense for me to plan on bringing my camper, or if I should just concede defeat and start looking for an apartment?

I've only found one reference to RV Living in OKC on PointSixtyFive, and it's a dead link to a StuckMic thread, so no further insight there.

Looking forward to hearing y'all's thoughts!

I'd advise against living in a trailer in Oklahoma during tornado season. I didn't want the Kim's Place option and I got a really nice airbnb just north of downtown in the Mesta Park neighborhood. Was walkable, near restaurants, and quiet enough I could study.

Legally, I'm required to say that this comment didn't load for me for some reason. Weird, as everything else on here seems to work perfectly /shrug
If your previously mentioned comment had loaded for me, which it totally did NOT. I would absolutely agree with said comment given you play dumb if any inquiries come your way as a probationary employee. Again, comment didn’t load so I have NO idea what was said.

I'd advise against living in a trailer in Oklahoma during tornado season. I didn't want the Kim's Place option and I got a really nice airbnb just north of downtown in the Mesta Park neighborhood. Was walkable, near restaurants, and quiet enough I could study.
I’ve been a CPC at OKC for 7 years…. I’ve yet to see a tornado

Appreciating the input thus far. FWIW, I was born and raised in the Midwest, so I'm not unfamiliar with Tornadoes, and I managed to move to Houston just in time to experience Hurricane Harvey back in 2017. While the thought did cross my mind - my class is slated for April to June, the heart of "Tornado Season" - I'm of the personal opinion that a Tornado is going to suck whether I'm in a camper (at a campground with a shelter, which I'm told is fairly common) or in a brick-and-mortar house.

I lived in my 5th wheel with my dogs while at the academy. Stayed at Mustang Run. Just gotta bring the monthly full time bill to the housing office or whatever it is you check in with every month and they reimburse it. I was never able to pocket money anyway, they just covered exactly what the rent was.

Say hi to Corey and Trevor for me
Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

For sure can't "rent" your own RV, but the lot fee might be reimbursable. Worth a call to student services. Report back if you find out.

I lived in my 5th wheel with my dogs while at the academy. Stayed at Mustang Run. Just gotta bring the monthly full time bill to the housing office or whatever it is you check in with every month and they reimburse it. I was never able to pocket money anyway, they just covered exactly what the rent was.
I'm happy to hear that at least one person has done it successfully, so I'm not on completely fresh ground with this one
For sure can't "rent" your own RV, but the lot fee might be reimbursable. Worth a call to student services. Report back if you find out.
Right, now that per diem is receipt-based, the extra monetary opportunity is gone, BUT there is still the incentive of "not having to move all of my junk into storage/renting or moving furniture". If they are happy to reimburse lot fees, then the cost of towing it up there might just be worth it for the ability to not have to deal with any setup besides a plug, a hose, and some leveling jacks.

I plan on giving the office a call on Monday morning to investigate further, and will report back with my findings!

I'm happy to hear that at least one person has done it successfully, so I'm not on completely fresh ground with this one

Right, now that per diem is receipt-based, the extra monetary opportunity is gone, BUT there is still the incentive of "not having to move all of my junk into storage/renting or moving furniture". If they are happy to reimburse lot fees, then the cost of towing it up there might just be worth it for the ability to not have to deal with any setup besides a plug, a hose, and some leveling jacks.

I plan on giving the office a call on Monday morning to investigate further, and will report back with my findings!
And depending on where they send you, you'll probably be better off in the rv than in the local rental/housing market

And depending on where they send you, you'll probably be better off in the rv than in the local rental/housing market
That’s what I did. Moved my rv and kept living in it when I got to my facility

It’s close to Kim’s place too so I was able to easily study *cough* and party with my classmates

An update, for anyone wondering:
Called the Student Travel department this AM - they said, unequivocally, that it would not be an issue. As long as the campground was able to provide a receipt, reimbursement would not be a problem. If I'm honest, while I'm relieved to have figured that hurdle out, I'm almost more concerned how casual they were about approving it. Maybe I should try to get it in writing just to assuage my concerns about the government yoinking my per diem away...

An update, for anyone wondering:
Called the Student Travel department this AM - they said, unequivocally, that it would not be an issue. As long as the campground was able to provide a receipt, reimbursement would not be a problem. If I'm honest, while I'm relieved to have figured that hurdle out, I'm almost more concerned how casual they were about approving it. Maybe I should try to get it in writing just to assuage my concerns about the government yoinking my per diem away...
I’m sure the campground is much cheaper than the normal housing they pay so they were probably thrilled.

Back
Top Bottom