ACK Affordability Allowance

Me too and the gimme gimmes complaining immediately. Commuting an hour in a high COL area is not in the same ballpark as the impossible living/working situation in Nantucket. It’s a win for the controllers there and a win for natca.
Don’t work at Napa
Ok, yep didn’t read the description but this one is 23 minutes away from the airport….

900 Southampton Rd APT 32, Benicia, CA 94510 | MLS #323040569 | ZillowView attachment 8695
not bad, still don’t know how you’re affording a 3k+ mortgage with that salary. I’m not mad at ack, I just think these towers should be contracted. It’s ridiculous.

The controllers at Nantucket would kill for a 2k studio, especially one they didn’t have to move out of in June every year to allow someone else to live there for 10k a week.
I feel you. Contract it. It’s in the same boat as Martha’s Vineyard.

Nahh, Nantucket runs 7-8 traffic all summer with air carriers. Not the same boat as MVY.
Well, MVY does run about 70% of the traffic ACK does in the busy summer months. So I wouldn’t say they are that different in some respects.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 43
Does contracting it fix the issue? Like the contract companies don't pay the controllers enough either. It's shit. Pay people appropriately. Period.
It makes it worse, things end up like SQL where the controllers are miserable from working 60 hours and take it out on the pilots. Then they change the towers operational hours and bring in temps that aren't proficient nor capable of working a busy vfr tower. The ONLY side that comes out happy is the government for saving a dime.

The FAA is content with us working constant overtime, they give even less fucks about contract towers being staffed because they can just point the finger at the contract company.

Unpopular fact here, none of those other places listed come close to the issue related to Nantucket. It is impossible to commute to Nantucket because of ferry schedules, exorbitant price of ferry/ airplane shuttle cost, and weather. Every other place listed above has the ability to commute an hour and afford a rent or even buy a home in many cases, without that housing cost exceeding 30% of gross pay.

Hop on Zillow and see for yourself.
According to Reddit there was a AG controller in Nantucket camping in the facility parking lot for two weeks in a tent because they got kicked out of their rental so the owner could rent it out for 3x the money to some tourists, they couldn’t afford or find anything else.

I wonder if that incident had anything to do with this MOU

Not knocking this wonderful news for ACK, I’m glad they’re getting the bump. Hopefully it opens up opportunities for other HCOL areas even if they’re not exactly the same situation.

To the guy going on Zillow:
Napa is a bit easier to find something “affordable” but still outside of the 30% gross, just move next to the oil refineries like in Benicia - there won’t be any damage to your health while being house poor. Try SJC and ZOA.

Also, don’t forget to calculate the cost of commuting.

Not knocking this wonderful news for ACK, I’m glad they’re getting the bump. Hopefully it opens up opportunities for other HCOL areas even if they’re not exactly the same situation.

To the guy going on Zillow:
Napa is a bit easier to find something “affordable” but still outside of the 30% gross, just move next to the oil refineries like in Benicia - there won’t be any damage to your health while being house poor. Try SJC and ZOA.

Also, don’t forget to calculate the cost of commuting.
Don't forget PAO is south San Francisco Bay, so where the fuck are you gonna live? Stabsville? Smash my windows and stab me town? It's fucking san Francisco at AG pay until 109k at cpc. No insurance, no tsp not even the 5% for matching, no union dues absolutely nothing but state and federal taxes and that's $6416/month for a cpc and $3951 for AG.

No way in hell can you afford a car in california for that so you have to live close. The only thing remotely doable without a car working as an AG in PAO is LITERALLY a tiny home in someone's backyard shed for $2k/mo.

Half your check to live in a shed.

Many of the 1 bedrooms are still sheds and the others don't have in unit laundry so add that on to the starting price of over $2k/mo. Don't forget utilities.

Go be a new controller in PAO! You can live in poverty with no hope of saving for the future.

Ladies and gentlemen these are the bare minimum numbers. One must account for an entertainment budget of some sort in order to have some enjoyment in life or suicide may be inevitable. You must feel like you're progressing forward. I wouldn't even want an 18 year old that choose this over the "broke college kid life ™" to live like this.

Don't forget this is bare minimum, what if the AG has student loans? What if they have a new baby on the way? This isn't a family supporting job it's a poverty job! WHAT IF THEY HAVE TO PAY TO FUCKING MOVE FROM WHEREVER THE FUCK, ALL THE WAY TO SAN FRAN FUCKING FRISCO???

I'll contribute to the PAC when the union starts giving a fuck about new hires in a meaningful way.

This nantucket shit isn't even close to enough, it's about damn time now get off your asses and fucking fix the pay. Inflation is killing everyone without already established roots in the high cost of living areas. Was I supposed to kill my dog in order to find a place to rent? We're at the point where owning a dog is a luxury for only the 1%

Don't forget PAO is south San Francisco Bay, so where the fuck are you gonna live? Stabsville? Smash my windows and stab me town? It's fucking san Francisco at AG pay until 109k at cpc. No insurance, no tsp not even the 5% for matching, no union dues absolutely nothing but state and federal taxes and that's $6416/month for a cpc and $3951 for AG.

No way in hell can you afford a car in california for that so you have to live close. The only thing remotely doable without a car working as an AG in PAO is LITERALLY a tiny home in someone's backyard shed for $2k/mo.

Many of the 1 bedrooms are still sheds and the others don't have in unit laundry so add that on to the starting price of over $2k/mo. Don't forget utilities.

Go be a new controller in PAO! You can live in poverty with no hope of saving for the future.

Ladies and gentlemen these are the bare minimum numbers. One must account for an entertainment budget of some sort in order to have some enjoyment in life or suicide may be inevitable. You must feel like you're progressing forward. I wouldn't even want an 18 year old that choose this over the "broke college kid life ™" to live like this.

Don't forget this is bare minimum, what if the AG has student loans? What if they have a new baby on the way? This isn't a family supporting job it's a poverty job! WHAT IF THEY HAVE TO PAY TO FUCKING MOVE FROM WHEREVER THE FUCK, ALL THE WAY TO SAN FRAN FUCKING FRISCO???

I'll contribute to the PAC when the union starts giving a fuck about new hires in a meaningful way.

This nantucket shit isn't even close to enough, it's about damn time now get off your asses and fucking fix the pay. Inflation is killing everyone without already established roots in the high cost of living areas. Was I supposed to kill my dog in order to find a place to rent? We're at the point where owning a dog is a luxury for only the 1%
Sir, this is a Wendy’s…

Commute from Gilroy it's much cheaper. Problem solved

High COL with low level facilities is a difficult problem to solve. It's one that our current system of paybands does not solve adequately. And our CIP is limited in addressing this. Everyone says "it's a budget issue" and things can't be changed without an act of congress, but what about facility upgrades/downgrades - do those not cause increased or decreased expenditures without any change in policy?

Is there a possibility in the future of adding COL to facility complexity formula for determining payband? Why or why not? I mean, it would take renegotiating the contract.... which is another issue entirely.

Maybe, just maybe, AGs won’t be so scared of ACK now and they won’t always be stuck with the mandatory pick. Could have some potential unintended consequences such as more interest from the academy and/or retention to allow more movement for those that want out.

Seriously doubt anyone would ERR, but now maybe it’s a more attractive NEST option. Time will tell, but I think this is a step in the right direction

Maybe, just maybe, AGs won’t be so scared of ACK now and they won’t always be stuck with the mandatory pick. Could have some potential unintended consequences such as more interest from the academy and/or retention to allow more movement for those that want out.

Seriously doubt anyone would ERR, but now maybe it’s a more attractive NEST option. Time will tell, but I think this is a step in the right direction
I'd imagine those wouldn't be unintended consequences, but actually considered and expected.

Back
Top Bottom