ACK Affordability Allowance

But wait…aren’t incentives for one single facility horribly unfair???? 😂
I know you’re being sarcastic but the only place that is comparable to the housing situation at ACK is GCN and the faa provides housing all the way out there. ASE is bad too, but at least it’s not on a small island

There is so much land to build housing for federal and local workers on Nantucket it's embarrassing. At least with Aspen it looks pretty tight and developed. Nantucket has so much open space. The NIMBY people are the worst.

There is so much land to build housing for federal and local workers on Nantucket it's embarrassing. At least with Aspen it looks pretty tight and developed. Nantucket has so much open space. The NIMBY people are the worst.
Who owns it though? I doubt most of it is federal. And good luck with eminent domain, the people that likely own the land have the money and influence keep it.

According to Reddit there was a AG controller in Nantucket camping in the facility parking lot for two weeks in a tent because they got kicked out of their rental so the owner could rent it out for 3x the money to some tourists, they couldn’t afford or find anything else.

I wonder if that incident had anything to do with this MOU

I wonder the same, and I wonder if that controller is treated like a king now. This does not seem like a bad deal at all for a young controller without too many attachments. Scrape along until you can buy a 3 bedroom condo, then rent out your extra rooms and start building your own little real estate empire in a highly desirable location.

I've just incorporated this MOU into the salary info at 123atc.com/facility/ACK

Edit: this site intercepts links to 123atc now? Haha nice.

I wonder the same, and I wonder if that controller is treated like a king now. This does not seem like a bad deal at all for a young controller without too many attachments. Scrape along until you can buy a 3 bedroom condo, then rent out your extra rooms and start building your own little real estate empire in a highly desirable location.

I've just incorporated this MOU into the salary info at 123atc.com/facility/ACK

Edit: this site intercepts links to 123atc now? Haha nice.
3 bedroom condo

Just quickly looked at Zillow with no filters. Only 3 places for sale on Nantucket and they range from 3mil-20mil. Rentals range from 10k-65k. No controller is going to “scrape by enough” to buy anything there. Not even sure how they find anything affordable to rent. Oh yeah, that 10k rental is a 2bd 1b 700sqft so with a roommate you’re paying $5k/month lmao. Don’t blame anyone for quitting if that’s their only option.

Just quickly looked at Zillow with no filters. Only 3 places for sale on Nantucket and they range from 3mil-20mil. Rentals range from 10k-65k. No controller is going to “scrape by enough” to buy anything there. Not even sure how they find anything affordable to rent. Oh yeah, that 10k rental is a 2bd 1b 700sqft so with a roommate you’re paying $5k/month lmao. Don’t blame anyone for quitting if that’s their only option.
That is chump change #GreatestJobInTheWorld

I don't have any skin in this argument, so I won't continue beyond this, but what you're saying is plainly false. Here is a a 3-bedroom condo for sale right now for $995k.

That's definitely not chump change, but it is conceivable. For instance, under the right circumstances you could get an FHA loan and put just $35k down. You would mostly likely need roommates to make the mortgage, but that is the point - collect rent and use the extremely strong market to your favor, then build up equity in more and more properties.

Last edited:
I don't have any skin in this argument, so I won't continue beyond this, but what you're saying is plainly false. Here is a a 3-bedroom condo for sale right now for $995k.

That's definitely not chump change, but it is conceivable. For instance, under the right circumstances you could get an FHA loan and put just $35k down. You would mostly likely need roommates to make the mortgage, but that is the point - collect rent and use the extremely strong market to your favor, then build up equity in more and more properties.
It’s weird that didn’t pop up but when I clicked your link it then showed on the map. I have no skin in the game either, so doesn’t make a difference to me. Point being most people just want to be able to live a comfortable life. Not scrape by for years to eventually, maybe, buy a 3bd condo with a $740+ hoa fee on top of that.

It’s weird that didn’t pop up but when I clicked your link it then showed on the map. I have no skin in the game either, so doesn’t make a difference to me. Point being most people just want to be able to live a comfortable life. Not scrape by for years to eventually, maybe, buy a 3bd condo with a $740+ hoa fee on top of that.
Honestly, ACK is a prime example of a place where a remote tower would make sense.

The FAA was going to contract ACK out and give everyone there a golden ticket out but natca shut it down behind closed doors to protect those good paying federal union jobs and their pensions.

Are you insane lmfao. How do you actually think this is conceivable?

First thing, how is someone supposed to save $35,000 for a down payment plus closing costs and reserves for maintenance or savings, so really you probably need to save $60-70,0000 at a minimum. How do you expect someone to do that given the current salary and rental costs on Nantucket? If you're making $120,000 and your rent is $3,000 I can't imagine you can save more than $500-1,000 per month if you're frugal and have no debt.

Now let's say somehow maybe they are lucky had some family money and dual-income no-kids and are able to save that much. Your mortgage with HOA, (idk what property taxes are there) has to be around $9,000 per month at a 6.5% rate. You're talking about having roommates and all paying $3,000 per month to share a house.

Even if somehow the stars aligned and this was remotely as conceivable as you're describing it, the point is this is the CHEAPEST home for sale on this island. The only other two listings that cost less are small plots of land that are $750-900k. That's the real problem.

Back
Top Bottom