Advice for Army Veteran

Wouldn't he have to be a 2152 prior to reaching his 31st birthday for FAA consideration? If he successfully does that, then the higher age limit of 36 applies to get hired by the FAA. Otherwise it's only the contract towers he'd be eligible for, and maybe DOD.

Per the law that was passed, as long as you have 52 weeks qualifying experience, you can be hired on a prior exp bid.

Where are these OTS bids if USAjobs is just for current ATC's? Sorry, couldn't find it in the FAQ

There isn’t currently one out. Just watch here and it’ll be known when one does come out. Also, check usajobs and filter for u.s. citizens and you’ll see it there if one gets posted.

Per the bid, he'd be alright.
  • Age Requirements: Notwithstanding section 3307 of title 5, the maximum limit of age for an original appointment to a position as an air traffic controller shall be 35 years of age for those maintaining 52 weeks of air traffic control experience involving the full-time active separation of air traffic after receipt of an air traffic certification or air traffic control facility rating in a civilian or military air traffic control facility. Maximum Retention Age: 5 U.S.C. 8335 (a) and 5 U.S.C. 8425 (a) require mandatory separation at age 56 in a career controller position
Awesome. Not sure why I had it all twisted up in my head.

You can look into getting your Aircraft Dispatch certification. A month long program will run about $4-5k (99% sure they accept GI bill). Get hired on at a regional airline for a year or two (pay won't be all that great, but just pay your dues), then apply to the majors. I have a buddy that works for Southwest and absolutely loves it. The pay won't be nearly as high as some atc facilities, but most majors start around $60-70k and top out around $120-130k base pay I believe (10 year pay scale). They get a bunch of other benefits and pay that atc doesn't get as well.

You can look into getting your Aircraft Dispatch certification. A month long program will run about $4-5k (99% sure they accept GI bill). Get hired on at a regional airline for a year or two (pay won't be all that great, but just pay your dues), then apply to the majors. I have a buddy that works for Southwest and absolutely loves it. The pay won't be nearly as high as some atc facilities, but most majors start around $60-70k and top out around $120-130k base pay I believe (10 year pay scale). They get a bunch of other benefits and pay that atc doesn't get as well.
It is not easy to find schools that offer this.. is this something that could be self taught with some materials and then go take a test somewhere?

And judging by some of these sites flight attendants make more than dispatchers. I could deal with 45 for a bit.. not 28 or so lol.

I just emailed avel flight school to get some
More info.

Last edited:
Check into IFOD in the Dallas area and Sheffield in FL. I could have taken a two week course bc I had an aviation background, but decided to do the 5 week course (I went to IFOD) back in 2012 and at the time was really glad I did. The information you're learning, especially with no aviation background, is pretty intense overall. If you can handle the lower pay for a bit, the pay off is much higher than a flight attendant ha..

Check into IFOD in the Dallas area and Sheffield in FL. I could have taken a two week course bc I had an aviation background, but decided to do the 5 week course (I went to IFOD) back in 2012 and at the time was really glad I did. The information you're learning, especially with no aviation background, is pretty intense overall. If you can handle the lower pay for a bit, the pay off is much higher than a flight attendant ha..
Only thing I'm worried about at the moment would be flying down, housing, food for 5-6
weeks and a flight back home with no income.

I don’t know anything about the gi bill but I thought it covered stuff like that? I stayed about 2min away at an extended stay that had a kitchenette, so I was able to buy some groceries to save money. I think they had a deal with the school as well for a discounted rate.

I don’t know anything about the gi bill but I thought it covered stuff like that? I stayed about 2min away at an extended stay that had a kitchenette, so I was able to buy some groceries to save money. I think they had a deal with the school as well for a discounted rate.
You do get a book stipend and a housing allowance paid every first of the month but it goes off of the zip code, credits you take, and is prorated if you're not in class the whole month

It is not easy to find schools that offer this.. is this something that could be self taught with some materials and then go take a test somewhere?

And judging by some of these sites flight attendants make more than dispatchers. I could deal with 45 for a bit.. not 28 or so lol.

I just emailed avel flight school to get some
More info.
Academy College in Bloomington Minnesota has a dispatch course, and I believe they accept GI bills.

Academy College in Bloomington Minnesota has a dispatch course, and I believe they accept GI bills.
thanks. I found a few last night after some more time of looking around. Shaffer actually seems to offer a good portion of it online (not sure how good of an idea that would be). I dont have to stress about tuition thankfully... just trying to figure out the room/board/food. etc.

Back
Top Bottom