Air Traffic Control Supervisor Terminal/RADAR

skykid11

I thought Iraq would have its own controllers or something by now

Al Asad is supposedly the largest US base in Iraq. No way they allow Iraqi controllers to control US jets. Even in Europe USAF controllers typically control US aircraft or are there to step in if local nationals aren't doing what we want.

Al Asad is supposedly the largest US base in Iraq. No way they allow Iraqi controllers to control US jets. Even in Europe USAF controllers typically control US aircraft or are there to step in if local nationals aren't doing what we want.
100% the US allows foreign nations to control US aircraft. Not sure about Iraq but definitely Saudi Arabia, Qatar, pretty sure Jordan as well. Definitely not the safest of operations but it happens daily

100% the US allows foreign nations to control US aircraft. Not sure about Iraq but definitely Saudi Arabia, Qatar, pretty sure Jordan as well. Definitely not the safest of operations but it happens daily

Are they daily operators out of those places or just passing through? Either way, probably a bit different when Qatar/Jordan are allies along with Saudi Arabia (kind of). I remember hearing stories of how Iraqis working on base always knew when attacks were happening as though they were assisting the enemy. I'm sure US military leadership isn't too fond of them knowing the flying schedule and potentially relaying info. But I'm a cynic, maybe Iraqis have controlled US warplanes at some point.

Are they daily operators out of those places or just passing through? Either way, probably a bit different when Qatar/Jordan are allies along with Saudi Arabia (kind of). I remember hearing stories of how Iraqis working on base always knew when attacks were happening as though they were assisting the enemy. I'm sure US military leadership isn't too fond of them knowing the flying schedule and potentially relaying info. But I'm a cynic, maybe Iraqis have controlled US warplanes at some point.
Yeah daily operations out of those places as they are US air bases where Host nation controllers work 90% of operations, gets wild at times. Like I said not sure how Iraq specifically works though. Iraq very well could be different, being it's more of a 'warzone' type air base than the others. From my experience there isn't a flying schedule that US or host nation controllers are ever made aware of and the US aircraft never have to give their destination to the controllers at those airfields. But then they get controlled by those countries approach controls 🤷‍♂️. I'd assume it's definitely different for Iraq or when we were flying into Afghanistan but idk

Yeah daily operations out of those places as they are US air bases where Host nation controllers work 90% of operations, gets wild at times. Like I said not sure how Iraq specifically works though. Iraq very well could be different, being it's more of a 'warzone' type air base than the others. From my experience there isn't a flying schedule that US or host nation controllers are ever made aware of and the US aircraft never have to give their destination to the controllers at those airfields. But then they get controlled by those countries approach controls 🤷‍♂️. I'd assume it's definitely different for Iraq or when we were flying into Afghanistan but idk
We are hardly made aware of what US Air bases in the USA are planning on doing that day.

I’ve gotta imagine it’s pretty hard to fill these Middle East spots. Curious, what is the contract time like and how much do they pay?

I would say, at least from my experience, this is far from true. We were always sent the flight schedule for the following day as well as the PPR list. Sans a last minute test flight or late PPR add, we always knew our exact flight schedule for the next day.
DCAST says… 🙃

I would say, at least from my experience, this is far from true. We were always sent the flight schedule for the following day as well as the PPR list. Sans a last minute test flight or late PPR add, we always knew our exact flight schedule for the next day.
For a tower? On the enroute side we just have to react.

For a tower? On the enroute side we just have to react.
lol it’s been a minute since I was there. GulfCharlie would have better info but our up/down got the schedule the evening before. Helped with scheduling airspace. IIRC there was a military liaison for Miami center that got the schedule as well so they could run ops around the warning areas

lol it’s been a minute since I was there. GulfCharlie would have better info but our up/down got the schedule the evening before. Helped with scheduling airspace. IIRC there was a military liaison for Miami center that got the schedule as well so they could run ops around the warning areas
Oh yah we get an airspace schedule. It just doesn’t give us any sort of scope or real idea what’s gonna happen

Oh yah we get an airspace schedule. It just doesn’t give us any sort of scope or real idea what’s gonna happen
Our airspace schedule had which squadrons, number of sorties, all that for each launch/recovery throughout the day. Flight planning was also sent the PPR schedule assumingly for SAR/overdue aircraft purposes.

Our airspace schedule had which squadrons, number of sorties, all that for each launch/recovery throughout the day. Flight planning was also sent the PPR schedule assumingly for SAR/overdue aircraft purposes.
That would be nice to see. Cus 1 flight versus 10+ flights could mean splitting or not splitting

That would be nice to see. Cus 1 flight versus 10+ flights could mean splitting or not splitting
Facts. It was nice to have so we’d know when we can combine everything up and send people packing, knock out sims, make chow runs, etc. Also helped tremendously for training purposes.

Can confirm they control US military aircraft in Qatar and Kuwait. Can also confirm not the safest operations lmao.

Anyone know the pay? Last I checked it wasn't much more than working at Bethel.... not sure which would be better though tbh.

Anyone know the pay? Last I checked it wasn't much more than working at Bethel.... not sure which would be better though tbh.
When I applied to IAP in Afghanistan in 2018 for regular controller, they offered me $130k. To give you at least some sort of idea. My understanding is they continually reduced the pay; controllers before me making $160k+. I’d applied for Al Asad as well but never heard back.

When I applied to IAP in Afghanistan in 2018 for regular controller, they offered me $130k. To give you at least some sort of idea. My understanding is they continually reduced the pay; controllers before me making $160k+. I’d applied for Al Asad as well but never heard back.
Yeah. That was my fear (not that it matters) but if it maths up, they're probably close to 110 a year then.

Back
Top Bottom