OPEN FOR RETIRED MILITARY CONTROLLERS
Air Traffic Control Specialist
Air Traffic Control Specialist
- Accepting applications
Open & closing dates08/06/2021 to 08/26/2021
Pay scale & gradeAT AG
Salary$50,362 to $65,831 per year
Above salary does not include locality pay. Facility offered will determine locality pay adjusted salary. Facility level range ATC-4 to ATC-7.
Appointment typeTemporary - 5 Years
LocationsMany vacancies in the following locations:
Relocation expenses reimbursedNo
This job is open to
Clarification from the agencyOPEN TO RETIRED MILITARY CONTROLLERS WHO ARE ON TERMINAL LEAVE PENDING RETIREMENT FROM ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY SERVICE OR HAVE RETIRED FROM ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY SERVICE WITHIN 5 YEARS OF APPLYING FOR THE APPOINTMENT; AND, WHO HAVE MAINTAINED AT LEAST 52 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS OF ATC EXPERIENCE INVOLVING THE FULL-TIME ACTIVE SEPARATION OF AIR TRAFFIC AFTER RECEIPT OF AN ATC CERTIFICATION OR FACILITY RATING WITHIN 5 YEARS OF APPLICATION WHILE SERVING AT A MILITARY ATC FACILITY.
Due to the Pandemic and individual states with different phases of reopening, the selectee’s report date to the official duty station/facility may be delayed until such time as employees are allowed to report to the workplace. The person selected may telework up to the maximum extent possible, up to and including full time, until it is determined by state and Federal officials that employees are allowed to report to the workplace where this position is located, on a regular basis.
Learn more about this agency
This is an Air Traffic Control Specialist (ATCS) position responsible for the safe, orderly and expeditious movement of air traffic through the nation's airspace. Additional information regarding these positions is located at: Aviation Careers.
ATCS's in the Terminal option control air traffic at airports and give pilots taxiing/takeoff instructions, air traffic clearances & advice based on their own observations and information from the National Weather Service, Air Route Traffic Control Centers (ARTCC), flight service stations, pilots, and other sources. They transfer control of aircraft to the ARTCC controller when the aircraft leaves assigned airspace and they receive control of aircraft coming into assigned airspace.
- Applicants will only be considered for the geographic location(s) selected in this application. If you are selected for a position, you will be informed of the facility location you are being offered. Selectees will be offered a temporary appointment in the ATCS occupation at an FAA facility based on their geographical preference(s), qualifications and needs of the agency. Please find additional information in the time limited appointment section.
- AT-2152 AG is the position level for selectees who are NOT former FAA 2152 Certified Professional Controllers (CPC); salary will be set in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, which states pay shall be set at the lowest developmental pay rate for the assigned facility. Position/facility offered will determine final salary.
- Appointees will enter the appropriate phase of field training as determined by the assigned facility to prepare for full certification to the CPC level. You must learn the skills needed for operation at higher levels of responsibility and obtain the facility ratings required for full performance at assigned facilities within uniformly applicable time limits.
- Failure to meet training requirements for or accept promotion to higher-grade ATCS positions may constitute grounds for reassignment, demotion or separation from employment.
- You will receive on-the-job training and pay increases, as appropriate, upon successful completion of the progressive phases of controller training at your assigned facility. Part of the on-the-job training may require that you complete certain specific training courses at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, OK.
NOTE - Locality Rates for geographic areas are as follows:
- Atlantic City, New Jersey= 26.04%
- Bakersfield, California= 32.415%
- Camarillo, California= 32.41%
- Camp Springs, Maryland= 30.48%
- Dayton, Ohio= 19.18%
- Des Moines, Iowa= 15.95%
- Fort Worth, Texas= 24.98%
- Kalamazoo, Michigan= 15.95%
- Omaha, Nebraska= 16.33%
- San Jose, California= 15.95%
Travel RequiredOccasional travel - The job may require travel from time- to-time, but not on a regular basis. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties.
Job family (Series)2152 Air Traffic Control
Conditions of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Designated or Random Drug Testing required.
- 52 WEEKS OF CONSECUTIVE, ATC POST CERTIFICATION EXPERIENCE REQUIRED; MUST BE WITHIN LAST 5 YEARS.
- COPIES OF CERTIFICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
- Pre-employment drug and medical examination required.
- Successful completion of a security investigation is required.
- Designated or random drug testing required.
- Requirement for nonstandard duty hours or work week.
- Candidates for ATCS positions may be subject to pre-appointment interviews to determine whether they possess the personal characteristics necessary to perform air traffic control work.
QualificationsSPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: ALL APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS A MINIMUM OF AT LEAST 52 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS OF AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL EXPERIENCE INVOLVING THE FULL-TIME ACTIVE SEPARATION OF AIR TRAFFIC AFTER RECEIPT OF AN ATC CERTIFICATION OR FACILITY RATING WITHIN 5 YEARS OF APPLICATION WHILE SERVING AT A MILITARY AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY
This experience must have demonstrated possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the level of work. This experience must have provided a comprehensive knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations and procedures governing the movement of air traffic; knowledge of aircraft separation standards and control techniques; and the ability to apply them properly, often under conditions of great stress.
- Applicants must be able to speak English clearly enough to be understood over radios, intercoms, and similar communications equipment.
- Applicants MUST submit copies of certifications prior to the closing date of the announcement. (The 52 weeks of consecutive, certified experience cannot include any FAA Academy or military training time prior to certification, as this is not considered "live" air traffic) and must have been within 5 years of application.
- Applicants should include examples of specialized experience in their Work History. Work history and supporting certificate(s) MUST support the applicant performing as an ATCS for a minimum of 52 consecutive weeks following the issue date of the certification.
- Applicants MUST document hours per week within their work history/resume (full time experience is credited as 40 hours per week, part time hours will be pro-rated based on 40 hrs per week).
- Maximum Retention Age: 5 U.S.C. 8335 (a) and 5 U.S.C. 8425 (a) require mandatory separation at age 56 in a career controller position.
- Applicants who are prior Academy and/or field training failures may not be considered.
- Basis of Rating: Applications/resumes from qualified candidates will be referred to the selecting official via priority grouping based upon their veterans' preference category.
Security Clearance: This position requires an Access National Agency Check and Inquiry with Credit (ANACI) or higher, based on the facility, prior to appointment unless a waiver is obtained.
Requirement of nonstandard duty hours or work week: Incumbent may be required to work irregular duty hours or a nonstandard work week or tour of duty.
Salary: Pay is set in accordance with the ATCS collective bargaining unit agreement.
There is no educational substitute for the required 52 weeks of specialized experience (52 consecutive, post certified ATC experience within 5 years of application).