Antarctica (McMurdo)

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about working in Antarctica? Asking for a friend.
I'm not sure about now but it used to be worked by a contractor out of SPAWAR Charleston. Booze Allen Hamilton, I think. Again it's been a few years.

My first job out of the navy was in Antarctica. Serco had the contract. It’s mostly seasonal workers, but there are some full timers that go back to Charleston for the Antarctic winter and prepare for the next season while one lucky bastard was chosen to remain for the winter. Beginning of the season is on an ice airfield allowing c17’s (141s back then), and wheeled c130s. Then the ice melts and everything moves to the permanent pack snow airfield where only aircraft with skis. It was actually a great experience and I’m glad I went. Fun fact, having wisdom teeth is a disqualifying condition. Seriously, they gotta go. Even if they’re fine. Disclaimer: this was 2000-2001 so I’m sure it’s a good bit different now.

Attachments

• IMG_6705.jpeg
    IMG_6705.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 82
My first job out of the navy was in Antarctica. Serco had the contract. It’s mostly seasonal workers, but there are some full timers that go back to Charleston for the Antarctic winter and prepare for the next season while one lucky bastard was chosen to remain for the winter. Beginning of the season is on an ice airfield allowing c17’s (141s back then), and wheeled c130s. Then the ice melts and everything moves to the permanent pack snow airfield where only aircraft with skis. It was actually a great experience and I’m glad I went. Fun fact, having wisdom teeth is a disqualifying condition. Seriously, they gotta go. Even if they’re fine. Disclaimer: this was 2000-2001 so I’m sure it’s a good bit different now.
What was the pay like?

You worked 141’s? Mad respect bro.

Back
Top Bottom