Bankruptcy

POINTOUT

Trusted Contributor
Serious question. Want to get some info for someone not on here.

What happens if you file bankruptcy while already in the agency and holding and active security clearance? Has anyone gone through this?

There’s some chatter going around that as long as you are already in the agency, they don’t care. Which I find hard to believe.

I would day the agency doesn't give a shit,
BUT you will definitely need to reveal this on your next security go around.

The security part is can you be influenced to reveal state secrets etc for money. They wanna make sure you aren't the shady shooter in that elms thing.

That being said I can't speculate on their answer-wqs it business or accident related? Are you just poor with your finances? Is it budgetary and liveable with wage garnishment?

I don't even know if you have to tell the agency, but I assume the issue would be related to whether it makes you bribeable.

As uncomfortable as it is you may want to ask your facrep or rvp

I did some quick searching and here is what I came up with:

OPM: Can I lose my security clearance if I filed bankruptcy in the past year?

FAA Order 1600.1F - Personnel Security Program
Things of note in the 1600.1F:
- Chapter 3 describes the difference clearances I think "Public Trust" clearance falls under Moderate or High Risk.
- "11. Reporting Requirements for Clearance Holders and Those Occupying Sensitive Positions." specifically states that bankruptcy has to be disclosed along "financial abnormalities" which it goes into.
- SF-85P QUESTIONNAIRE FOR PUBLIC TRUST POSITIONS that we have to fill out for the background check requires reporting of "(b) delinquent loans or taxes, bankruptcies, judgments, liens, or other financial obligations;"

It's one of those things that I'm sure they'll bring up in his next background check if he doesn't disclose it.

Haven’t declared bankruptcy while with the FAA but I had filed bankruptcy about 4-5 years before I was picked up.

I gave all the info about it on eQip as well as an explanation of how I got there and what I’m doing to better manage my finances. Never sat down for an interview and never got questioned about it.

In general, I think they’re mainly concerned about making poor choices, not paying people back, etc. If you can show that you’re being responsible with your finances and that you’ve actively taken action to remedy anything past due, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

If you do file, I would definitely reach out to your security POC and let them know + give full disclosure when it’s time to renew your security clearance.

Disclose to security POC. They will probably not care but don’t wait until your next security check.

Back
Top Bottom