Becoming an ATC

dwong13

Lurker
Hello,

So I'm 24 years old and I'm very interested in becoming an ATC. I was curious what was the best path to becomes one. So far everything I have read in my position with no experience is apply for an opening bid for OTS. For that bid when is it, what is required, and what do I need to know? Another path I considered was getting a bachelors degree is aviation, would that be a better way?

Hello,

So I'm 24 years old and I'm very interested in becoming an ATC. I was curious what was the best path to becomes one. So far everything I have read in my position with no experience is apply for an opening bid for OTS. For that bid when is it, what is required, and what do I need to know? Another path I considered was getting a bachelors degree is aviation, would that be a better way?
You just missed the last OTS bid. The next bid will probably be in a year you could apply. The only other options are military or some select CTI schools if you want to work in a tower.

I'd stay away from CTI personally, because it just seems it doesnt help you out if the FAA thing doesnt work out. I joined the Air National Guard out of High school for ATC and it has been nothing but a dream for me.

I'd stay away from CTI personally, because it just seems it doesnt help you out if the FAA thing doesnt work out. I joined the Air National Guard out of High school for ATC and it has been nothing but a dream for me.
This. I went in active duty USAF and it’s a minimum 6 year enlistment for ATC, but there was one guy in my class that was Guard ATC and if I knew I could’ve gone Guard instead I would have.

Another option, one that I did and few others that worked for the company on here, is Advanced ATC. Essentially 50k for a one year program, you EARN a CTO, have the ability to be hired at the end at work at one of their 3 (4 now I think have to double check) towers to gain experience towards your 52 weeks. Loads of people have graduated, worked, and been hired by the FAA. Experience allows you to bypass the Academy and report straight to facility. Keep in mind the 52 weeks clock only starts after you have been rated. Here is the website: About Us - Advanced ATC

Another option, one that I did and few others that worked for the company on here, is Advanced ATC. Essentially 50k for a one year program, you EARN a CTO, have the ability to be hired at the end at work at one of their 3 (4 now I think have to double check) towers to gain experience towards your 52 weeks. Loads of people have graduated, worked, and been hired by the FAA. Experience allows you to bypass the Academy and report straight to facility. Keep in mind the 52 weeks clock only starts after you have been rated. Here is the website: About Us - Advanced ATC
Where are they based out of? I always have friends asking me how to get into ATC. All I ever have for them is the military like I did, CTI school or rolling the dice on a OTS bid. This extra way would be great information to pass.

Where are they based out of? I always have friends asking me how to get into ATC. All I ever have for them is the military like I did, CTI school or rolling the dice on a OTS bid. This extra way would be great information to pass.

Valdosta, GA.

What are the requirements to gain acceptance into the program? The web site doesn't say much

Essentially what the last two have said. The do loans and such, but it is worth noting the program is geared toward taking someone with ZERO aviation knowledge and putting them in the field ASAP with a solid and thorough understanding of ATC.

Essentially what the last two have said. The do loans and such, but it is worth noting the program is geared toward taking someone with ZERO aviation knowledge and putting them in the field ASAP with a solid and thorough understanding of ATC.
I understand and totally worth it. I've always felt almost anyone can do ATC at a low to mid level facility with enough time and effort. Training time limits is what causes most to wash in school house training or 1st facility. Basically you are paying money that your "school house" and "1st facility" will be a pass. Not because it's given, but because you are given so much time and attention in training

I've always felt almost anyone can do ATC at a low to mid level facility with enough time and effort.

You can give me paints and canvas for 20 years, I’ll never be an artist. There are a lot of people who for whatever reason just can’t do this job. Even ones who have the book memorized cover to cover and can rock a sim and then completely freeze talking to a real plane.

Back
Top Bottom