Copy of Medical Cert for PPL?

barbaricyawp

I'm currently waiting for my Academy date to start in a couple months, and I'm looking to start working on my hours for my PPL. I was told when I got my FOL that my medical cleared, and I'm wondering how I can get a copy of my medical cert to show to my CFI. Should I just email the automated Medical address, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm also wondering if I get to keep my medical cert if the worst happens and I wash out of the Academy. Anyone have any experience with this?

Really? I was told by both my AME and my flight school that the medical done for my FAA ATC employment counted as 'Second Class' and was enough to get a PPL.
Yah but you gotta get the doctor to write you up a pilot medical as well. Mine asked me if I wanted a pilot medical while I was there

I'll give it a shot. Maybe they'll mail it? The nearest AME is 4 hours away so I wasn't really looking forward to making that drive again. Thanks bub!

South Texas.
d26.jpg

Since you haven’t gone to the academy yet, I wouldn’t have the government pay for your pilot medical. But in the future during your medical, there’s a box at the top where you can select ATC and pilot

Since you haven’t gone to the academy yet, I wouldn’t have the government pay for your pilot medical. But in the future during your medical, there’s a box at the top where you can select ATC and pilot

You're allowed to get your 2nd Class Medical with the ATCS medical, they entail the exact same examination criteria and it doesnt cost the FAA anything extra (it's written somewhere, I cant remember where)...the only issue would be that he already got the physical done, maybe if the doctor is cool they'll pop a 2nd class in the mail for him. More than likely though, theyll probably consider it a liability since if anything has happened in the few weeks since the exam, it would he the doctor's ass on the line.

In the future, just tell them when you go in that you want your 2nd class along with the ATCS medical and they'll give it to you at the end of the exam, I've been doing that for years.

Called the AMEs office today, turns out the poor guy passed away last month. Guess I'll do this the old fashioned way and make a new MedXPress request. Thanks for your help everyone.

I currently hold a third class medical for my pilot certificate. Does already having a medical make the process faster when doing the clearance for the academy?

FAA medicals can be a huge pain in the ass... Story time:

I've held a Second Class medical with a Second Class SODA (statement of demonstrated ability - essentially its a waiver for a disqualifying condition) for over a year. My Second Class was set to expire at the end of April 2019 and my ATC medical exam was in March 2019 (I'm part of the 2018 OTS bid). After speaking with HR medical, I learned I still had to do the ATC medical exam regardless of my Second Class. I go in for the exam (brought my current medical and SODA with me), I asked the Doc if he'd issue me a renewal for my Second Class, he told me it had to be another separate physical - reapply on MedExpress, blah blah blah - ok, fine, government logic, whatever... I book an appointment for April with my regular AME (different dude, he doesn't do FAA employment medicals), I go in, we do the exam per usual, no issue with my SODA. At the end when they're inputting all the info on MedExpress to issue me a certificate, they kept getting an error message. They call OKC, and apparently they can't issue me a new Second Class because it hadn't been 90 days since my last physical. Seriously? So now my Second Class expires (reverts to Third Class) and I book an appointment for 90 days from the ATC physical. I go in for that appointment - same result (hadn't been 90 days since my last MedExpress application - WTF). They said screw it, we'll fax the exam to OKC and they can issue me the new Second Class. A few months later, I got a Special Issuance - which isn't correct considering I have a SODA. Oh well, at least I got my medical back.....

As far as my ATC medical goes, I got a DQ notice for the exact condition that I was issued a Second Class SODA, and now a Special Issuance. Naturally, I sent in my appeal. So here I sit, still waiting to hear if I'll be medically cleared and get a class date.

Back
Top Bottom