Medical Surgery

BPM31694

Trusted Contributor
Can someone explain how getting surgery works?

I might need to get what is called SARPE surgery at the beginning of next year. My oral surgeon said it is a 45 minute procedure that is done in-house at his office, is performed under local anesthesia, and does not require the use of prescription pain killers.

I am wondering if this is a type of surgery that will need to be reported immediately to my FS, and will cause me be temporarily DQd? Or is this the type of surgery that I just need to report at my next medical to my AME? If it is the latter type of surgery, should I just bring in the medical records to the AME, or send them to the FS first before going to my appointment?

I know you get DQd if you take painkillers, but I’m not sure about the rules with local anesthesia.

Can someone explain how getting surgery works?

I might need to get what is called SARPE surgery at the beginning of next year. My oral surgeon said it is a 45 minute procedure that is done in-house at his office, is performed under local anesthesia, and does not require the use of prescription pain killers.

I am wondering if this is a type of surgery that will need to be reported immediately to my FS, and will cause me be temporarily DQd? Or is this the type of surgery that I just need to report at my next medical to my AME? If it is the latter type of surgery, should I just bring in the medical records to the AME, or send them to the FS first before going to my appointment?

I know you get DQd if you take painkillers, but I’m not sure about the rules with local anesthesia.
If you're in natca, giving AMAS a call will answer all these questions for you. And you'll get them from a flight surgeon.
1-866-AEROMED(237-6633). If you aren't in natca it's all the same, i think you just pay a consultation fee.

This is from the "ATCS Responsibilities" section of the 3930.3:
An ATCS, who has a change in their health between periodic medical examinations, must report the change to their FS as these changes may adversely impact public safety. Illnesses or injuries including but not limited to occupationally-related injuries and illness, or any medical procedure (i.e., refractive surgery to correct vision), must be reported except for exempt conditions as noted below.

Exempt conditions, that do not need to be reported include cuts, colds or sore throat, self-limited conditions (i.e., do not require hospital evaluation/ care or more than one healthcare visit), do not recur, and require no prescribed medications.

My experience with outpatient surgeries and procedures, including oral procedures, is that they'll ask what exactly the anesthetic was and they might give you a day or two restriction on safety duties. Nothing terrible.

Also not all painkillers are an automatic DQ. Vicodin yes, ibuprofen no. So it'd be worth asking about that too.

This isn’t a scary lose your medical forever type question. Just email the regional flight surgeon office and say this is the procedure with local anesthesia. No pain meds after. They will tell you what’s needed. I did this for an eye surgery question and they told me exactly what they would require for me to get back.

Back
Top Bottom