D-Side For Life?

And if half your hours are wasted on slow shit and suddenly your hours are up and you’re not good enough on the busy stuff to certify yet then you’re gone, wishing you hadn’t spent so much time proving you could work the slow stuff. And at lots of places the pushes are pretty regular on when they happen. I used to change my schedule almost every week to see as many of them as possible when I was training.
If you can’t figure it out with half your hours on busier traffic then you should wash out. If you just work the normal
schedule and train 4 hours a day no matter what then you’ll see enough busy traffic (for your facility)

Also training with it all combined up is important too. It’s a normal part of the job that they’ll have to do after they certify

If you can’t figure it out with half your hours on busier traffic then you should wash out. If you just work the normal
schedule and train 4 hours a day no matter what then you’ll see enough busy traffic (for your facility)

Also training with it all combined up is important too. It’s a normal part of the job that they’ll have to do after they certify
Damn, found every new guy’s dream trainer! Shit, may as well lobby to take away half your facilities training hours and call it a day….

Damn, found every new guy’s dream trainer! Shit, may as well lobby to take away half your facilities training hours and call it a day….
I didn’t say to reduce hours. I just said to just train lol. You guys overcomplicate it so much. Show up every day. Train everyday. Simple.

Last edited:

I mean, he isn't wrong. If you're training 3 to 4 hours a day you're going to see enough of the day to day. If you're not, then your facility should be increasing the training hours. That's what my last facility did because they realized you burn through hours too quickly under the training initiative. They kept the minimums the same but target hours were nearly doubled.

My area would lose their mind if we had a permanent D-side. They would probably ostracize the person and refuse to have them as a d side when they’re busy. You would have no respect from anyone. Why wouldn’t you just train in another area? Or just get more time to train on the R side?

My area would lose their mind if we had a permanent D-side. They would probably ostracize the person and refuse to have them as a d side when they’re busy. You would have no respect from anyone. Why wouldn’t you just train in another area? Or just get more time to train on the R side?
Mine would request d side constantly and make them work 7 hours a day

You mean I get to stay exactly where I’m at making D2, and you aren’t even going to make me work? Sign me up.

Mine would request d side constantly and make them work 7 hours a day

Mine would do both.

Constantly bitch and complain about someone scamming, but then act like it was the biggest injustice ever if they weren't on their d side every single second they were on position

Mine would do both.

Constantly bitch and complain about someone scamming, but then act like it was the biggest injustice ever if they weren't on their d side every single second they were on position
Then privately thank them when they inevitably saved someone from having a deal

I guess it’s different for ever Z’s. I find training D-Side’s mind numbing. I can’t believe someone would sign up for that for life. The only time we need a D-side is a extra set of eyes. If you can’t do the job as an R-side, I wouldn’t want you as a d-side. It’s a lot of money, but missing out on getting paid 150k vs 90k and no respect.
Ehhh. Hard pass.

I guess it’s different for ever Z’s. I find training D-Side’s mind numbing. I can’t believe someone would sign up for that for life. The only time we need a D-side is a extra set of eyes. If you can’t do the job as an R-side, I wouldn’t want you as a d-side. It’s a lot of money, but missing out on getting paid 150k vs 90k and no respect.
Ehhh. Hard pass.
It depends how many airports you have off the ground. Our phone never stops ringing sometimes

It depends how many airports you have off the ground. Our phone never stops ringing sometimes
True that. All areas are not built the same. My area has called in d-side trainees who don't yet have all of their sectors for overtime to work the sectors they do have. Some sectors you can only split so far with a limited number of bodies.

Need trainers that give a damn too. So many are apathetic

Most start out caring until the scams break them. you ever get fired by a trainee and have management not support you? doesnt make you to enthusiastic about future training. you can say its "part of the job description" all day, but what did George Bush say. Fool me once.... shame on me...

george bush GIF

Need the FAA to follow their own teaching and understand not everyone should be a trainer
I have memories of my first facility, this woman went her whole 20 years without training anyone... The minute it started getting busy she would scream "Where are the trainees?!? They need to see this busy traffic!!!" Lost a lot of respect for her that day, granted she gained it back a little when she walked out of the facility for the last time, turned towards the ATM's window and gave him the the finger. XD

I have memories of my first facility, this woman went her whole 20 years without training anyone... The minute it started getting busy she would scream "Where are the trainees?!? They need to see this busy traffic!!!" Lost a lot of respect for her that day, granted she gained it back a little when she walked out of the facility for the last time, turned towards the ATM's window and gave him the the finger. XD
Sad she gained your respect when she disrespected the manager but was probably the biggest reason the manager was such a dick, he had her to deal with causing a headache for the rest of you implementing shitty policies because of her . Of course she didn’t like someone telling her she was a sucky employee. I bet everything was an inconvenience for her.

Last edited:
Sounds like this story happen years ago, if it did she is a coward for waiting until the last day to give the manager the finger.

NATCA actually fought for people and protected them over things like that back in the day, she could have done that anytime and there would have been no consequences.

Don’t try that now though, giving the finger to the ATM is the same as giving it to the Fac Rep and NATCA #collaboration

Back
Top Bottom