Medical Disqualification imminent?

ttmavs3

Hey everyone,

I had my medical exam with my local AME on 3/9 and was told everything was okay except for my binocular vision, and to expect the FAA to request more information. At that time, the AME said he expected that it was correctable and that there were no worries. Couple of weeks later, FAA sends me an email requesting specific information from an optometrist. I go see a optometrist yesterday, and he essentially says that if he submits his findings to the FAA that I'll be disqualified because my binocular vision is bad (It's a depth perception issue and I'm suppressing images subconsciously. It's the equivalent to aiming at something with one eye closed). He said he would try and get me in with a Vision Therapist before I have to submit the paperwork next Friday (4/27) to see if that may show the FAA that I'm working on fixing it, but that there isn't anything that can help correct it besides the therapy. Has anyone had an issue like this before, and what was the outcome? I hate coming this far and then getting DQ'd because of something like this, but I understand the situation and wouldn't want to be a risk to others. I've never had issues with my vision before, and the AME was the first time I'd even heard of binocular vision, or even thought I had an issue with depth perception. I toured my local enroute facility and even got to plug in and watch/listen and had no visual problems. Any suggestions on this or what to put in my future DQ appeal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Although it has been repeatedly demonstrated that binocular vision is not a prerequisite for flying, some aspects of depth perception, either by stereopsis or by monocular cues, are necessary. It takes time for the monocular airman to develop the techniques to interpret the monocular cues that substitute for stereopsis; such as, the interposition of objects, convergence, geometrical perspective, distribution of light and shade, size of known objects, aerial perspective, and motion parallax.
In addition, it takes time for the monocular airman to compensate for his or her decrease in effective visual field. A monocular airman's effective visual field is reduced by as much as 30% by monocularity. This is especially important because of speed smear; i.e., the effect of speed diminishes the effective visual field such that normal visual field is decreased from 180 degrees to as narrow as 42 degrees or less as speed increases. A monocular airman's reduced effective visual field would be reduced even further than 42 degrees by speed smear.
For the above reasons, a waiting period of 6 months is recommended to permit an adequate adjustment period for learning techniques to interpret monocular cues and accommodation to the reduction in the effective visual field.
Applicants who have had monovision secondary to refractive surgery may be certificated, providing they have corrective vision available that would provide binocular vision in accordance with the vision standards, while exercising the privileges of the certificate. The certificate issued must have the appropriate vision limitations statement.
Sounds like a long appeal process....
Hey everyone,

I had my medical exam with my local AME on 3/9 and was told everything was okay except for my binocular vision, and to expect the FAA to request more information. At that time, the AME said he expected that it was correctable and that there were no worries. Couple of weeks later, FAA sends me an email requesting specific information from an optometrist. I go see a optometrist yesterday, and he essentially says that if he submits his findings to the FAA that I'll be disqualified because my binocular vision is bad (It's a depth perception issue and I'm suppressing images subconsciously. It's the equivalent to aiming at something with one eye closed). He said he would try and get me in with a Vision Therapist before I have to submit the paperwork next Friday (4/27) to see if that may show the FAA that I'm working on fixing it, but that there isn't anything that can help correct it besides the therapy. Has anyone had an issue like this before, and what was the outcome? I hate coming this far and then getting DQ'd because of something like this, but I understand the situation and wouldn't want to be a risk to others. I've never had issues with my vision before, and the AME was the first time I'd even heard of binocular vision, or even thought I had an issue with depth perception. I toured my local enroute facility and even got to plug in and watch/listen and had no visual problems. Any suggestions on this or what to put in my future DQ appeal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom