DOD training

Stinger

Forum Sage
What's the training process like at DOD facilities? Do you get an allotted number of hours until you're recommended for certification like the FAA? Or is it more like the contract tower world where you get 30 days to certify?

Also, if a current FAA controller is selected into a Term-limited DOD position, what happens when that term date is reached? Is it possible to be made permanent?

What's the training process like at DOD facilities? Do you get an allotted number of hours until you're recommended for certification like the FAA? Or is it more like the contract tower world where you get 30 days to certify?

Also, if a current FAA controller is selected into a Term-limited DOD position, what happens when that term date is reached? Is it possible to be made permanent?

Where I am at in the Air Force you get an allotted amount of days. For example I believe our approach sectors have around 40 to 50 says for training. It varies per facility. I was hired on a temp position but I knew it would become permanent. They technically have to advertise the position again on USAJOBS. But if you are already certified and a good worker then it is a no brainer to hire you for the permanent position.

I worked USMC DoD and you’d get time in months for training for each position (based on the facility average). As above stated, temp positions can be converted to permanent positions. However, I think you are SOL if it’s not by the term is up.

It’s already been stated but there are allotted DAYS for each position and just like the FAA if you go over the days you will have a TRB and granted an extension or washed out.
There are also different amount of days for people who have had a CTO/Approach ticket before and those without.

the bid will have if the position can be made permanent or not. its common for upper level management jobs to be term limited, but i wouldn't think its frequent for worker bee positions

the bid will have if the position can be made permanent or not. its common for upper level management jobs to be term limited, but i wouldn't think its frequent for worker bee positions

^this. I had one of the temporary /permanent spots and I was converted to permanent well before getting rated. They just have to like you in the DOD lol

Just be careful with term positions brother. I got hired in a term position and ultimately they had to come back and tell me I wasn’t eligible for a term position based on the Interchange Agreement with the FAA and DOD....the agreement calls for a permanent to permanent transfer. Not permanent to temporary or term. However, I’ve had conflicting explanations on this so beware and find out as much as you can before you sell your house and all like I did ?

Just be careful with term positions brother. I got hired in a term position and ultimately they had to come back and tell me I wasn’t eligible for a term position based on the Interchange Agreement with the FAA and DOD....the agreement calls for a permanent to permanent transfer. Not permanent to temporary or term. However, I’ve had conflicting explanations on this so beware and find out as much as you can before you sell your house and all like I did ?
They said you weren't eligible before or after you started the new position?

Probably a better location.
Yes better location. I brought all my leave and time in service with me. So I'm guessing faa to a dod term position you might have to resign. After obviously getting the position. I resigned and started the following day.

Yes better location. I brought all my leave and time in service with me. So I'm guessing faa to a dod term position you might have to resign. After obviously getting the position. I resigned and started the following day.
I had to resign from the FAA in order to take a term position in the DOD. Shortly afterwards I received a permanent position.

So the person I know that applied for the DOD term position was found not eligible because the job application didn't include a section to claim "Other" eligibility under the Interchange Agreement. There's positions open at Randolph right now that have this question in the application:
other.png
The Term position that was applied for didn't have that question. The SF50 (all FAA 2152) used to show eligibility show us as being Excepted Service, which would have met eligibility for the position except that question wasn't included. So only those in the Competitive Service would be eligible.
So for those that took a Term position, was this question included on your applications?

I worked USMC DoD and you’d get time in months for training for each position (based on the facility average). As above stated, temp positions can be converted to permanent positions. However, I think you are SOL if it’s not by the term is up.
They can't terminate you if you get certified within the training time lines before the term is over right? One of my friends seems sketched out by a term limit.

They can't terminate you if you get certified within the training time lines before the term is over right? One of my friends seems sketched out by a term limit.
When I was DOD they had a probation period. Temp or perm, either could be terminated for almost nothing prior to the 52 weeks being done. After, it would take a act of congress to fire.

When I was DOD they had a probation period. Temp or perm, either could be terminated for almost nothing prior to the 52 weeks being done. After, it would take a act of congress to fire.
What about vested status being I have over 5 years of federal service at this point is that affected at all? I guess a similar scenario might be if you quit the faa completely and worked as a bagger for a year and got back in would you have to reset your 5 year vested counter. I'm about to start digging through the fers manual I found online.

My permanent status didn't transfer. They said it was because I went from an excepted service position to a competitive service position. I wasn't worried so I didn't fight it at all. Probation went by just fine.

The FOL should have a date “no earlier than/no later than”. I’ve never seen someone get fired before the term as long as they certify. Not saying it cannot happen but I believe it is highly unlikely. Because DOD employees are hired by/to a specific command there is almost always a probation period. (1-2 years, depending on the position)

Back
Top Bottom