Hiring Bid Experienced bid: FAA-ATO-17-ATCEXP-52850

My Application Status on USAJOBS for the April-May Prior Experience Bid has been updated to referred. If I click on the "additional application information" button, I get the following message.

Referral List Status

Referral list FA-FAA-17-103049: Issued on 06/27/2017 for the All Air Traffic Locations, United States duty location at (the) AT-AG grade/payband. Your application is among those being reviewed by the office with announcement # FAA-ATO-17-ATCEXP-52850. You may or may not be contacted for an interview. Please continue to check back for status updates.

Hopefully everybody else that applied got this same message today. I refreshed the page about 10 minutes ago and saw this change. So I think this just recently took effect.

Good question. I wish I knew the answer. I'm sure somebody on this site might have a better guess than me.

I asked around though and two of my good friends that got in on the last prior experience bid in September both got TOL's 84 days after the bid closed.

If you apply that situation to us, we are currently 54 days along since the bid closed on May 5th. So being optimistic, maybe we will see a TOL in August...? I have not the slightest clue how any of this works, basing everything I have said off other people experiences. Which could be a bad thing to be doing, but that is all I know. My friend recently just showed up to Memphis TRACON and I asked him to check his status on USAJOBS on that September bid and he said to this day his still says received. (which means this bid is already taking a slightly different route...?)

The hiring suspension for this fiscal year could also very well play a role in delaying us from getting a TOL or after obtaining one I'm guessing.

The only thing we can do for now is carry on and act like nothing is happening so time passes a little faster.

If it's like the OTS bid or the MPP bids on USAJobs, a referral list simply means you have met the minimum qualifications for the bid.
Once the bid closes, HR goes through each application and verifies each application (ie you, in fact, have 52 weeks of prior ATC experience, etc.)
From there a referral list is sent out to each person basically verifying that you are in fact eligible.

Selections will be made at a later date.

The 2016 prior experience bid hired 25% of it's applicants. If you have not received a TOL by July 7th, I would highly suggest also applying to the OTS bid as a back up in case you're not selected through the prior experience bid.

If it's like the OTS bid or the MPP bids on USAJobs, a referral list simply means you have met the minimum qualifications for the bid.
Once the bid closes, HR goes through each application and verifies each application (ie you, in fact, have 52 weeks of prior ATC experience, etc.)
From there a referral list is sent out to each person basically verifying that you are in fact eligible.

Selections will be made at a later date.

The 2016 prior experience bid hired 25% of it's applicants. If you have not received a TOL by July 7th, I would highly suggest also applying to the OTS bid as a back up in case you're not selected through the prior experience bid.

Seriously, how do they get away with just hiring 25% of experienced controllers? The bill that was passed last year, clearly states that preference has to be given to prior experienced applicants..

Seriously, how do they get away with just hiring 25% of experienced controllers? The bill that was passed last year, clearly states that preference has to be given to prior experienced applicants..
That is the million dollar question. I don't know the legality of two separate bids, but how it is written, if you apply for the OTS bid under Pool 1 veterans with prior experience you will be given priority. The only thing you'd need to do is take and pass the AT-SA.

There are reports coming out that people who met the minimum qualifications did not make the referral list.

It is possible a referral list for prior experience bids means more then others (OTS, MPP, etc.).

My original advice stands, if you don't get a TOL before July 7th, apply for the OTS bid as a back up just in case.

Does anybody have a guess of how many people are possibly going to be hired in this Apr-May Prior Experience Bid? Is that something that is published somewhere?

Does anybody have a guess of how many people are possibly going to be hired in this Apr-May Prior Experience Bid? Is that something that is published somewhere?
They hired just under 600 last year from the prior experience panel. ~1,500 applied to this past panel.
I haven't seen a concrete expected number. Based on the lower then expected pass rate at the academy, it wouldn't surprise me if they hired more to make up for the deficit.

The last time Aviator Application Status page went down for maintenance, immediately upon returning to service the "referral list" was released. I actually refreshed the page on USAJOBS and saw the change take place from received to referred. This is pure speculation, but the next Aviator Application maintenance is scheduled for July 24th 2017 between 6:00-7:00 a.m. CST. This could be for any amount of reasons, who knows, I sure don't have a clue. What I do know is that on average, the last bid took 84 for a good majority of people to get the TOLs after the close of the bid. If you apply that same scenario to us, July 24th would be day 80. Again this is all a guess, and I could be so far off from the actual release date. The Friday following the 24 of July would be 84 Days for us.

Again, just a guess on my behalf. The fiscal budget could throw this way out of "averages" and "cycles" but I guess we will see.

The maintenance could be anything. I am only posting this to be optimistic. Hopefully somebody (breakaway2000?) (MJ?) that knows the system/process well, will post on here giving all of us some information that has facts to back it sooner than later.

Fingers crossed. Good luck all.

Last edited:
I realize this bid has closed. In the Bid Announcement, it contained this clause "Applicants who are prior Academy and/or field training failure may not be considered." Does this mean they may or may not consider a field training failure, or that they absolutely will not?

Two things...
Per section 3 subparagraph 3.2 of the SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) for the selection of Academy Trainees...

"Within 2 business days of accepting the referral list, ATO Management Services, Technical Requirements and Forecasting, Air Traffic Team (AJG-R41) will review the list to determine if there are candidates that have previously been selected, and were unsuccessful in required training at the FAA Academy or a field facility. These candidates will be removed from further consideration."

Granted this is for Academy Trainees not prior experience. The SOP for the placement of prior experience new hires only deals with the process after you're fully cleared. Next time I'm at work I'll try to find the SOP for the clearance of prior experience new hires (if it exists).

Thanks. The specific scenario is field training failure at a Center, then trained by military with CTO certification and experience, then apply via prior experience bid.

To update...
1,471 applied
1,250 met the qualifications to be considered
957 were referred
351 have been selected

The remaining 606 (957-351) are being reviewed for selection.

Last edited:
To update...
1,471 applied
1,250 met the qualifications to be considered
957 are to be referred
351 have been selected

The remaining 606 (957-351) are being reviewed for selection.

Thanks for the update breakaway.

Is it possible for them to select all 957 that have been referred?

edit: nevermind, I saw earlier that breakaway said that they hired around 600 people last time but they may take more this round due to higher was rates at the academy recently.

Last edited:
Will those selected already be sent TOLs? Or do they wait to disperse them all at once?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update breakaway.

Is it possible for them to select all 957 that have been referred?
In terms of applicants, 2015 panel hired ~1/3 and 2016 ~1/4. The current 351 puts it in the same ballpark. Statistically, here's what you're up against...
36 tower academy classes in FY2018, almost identical to FY2017. If they forecast success rates based on collective previous years, I could see them hiring in the same neighborhood as last year (an additional ~200 from the 606). If they forecast based solely on last years success rates, they'd need to pull an additional ~300 from the 606.

Will those selected already be sent TOLs? Or do they wait to disperse them all at once?
Based on past practice, they will complete their review of the final 606 and send TOL's out in one large batch. Given where they're currently at, I would expect TOL's to be issued shortly to those who were selected.

Two things...
Per section 3 subparagraph 3.2 of the SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) for the selection of Academy Trainees...

"Within 2 business days of accepting the referral list, ATO Management Services, Technical Requirements and Forecasting, Air Traffic Team (AJG-R41) will review the list to determine if there are candidates that have previously been selected, and were unsuccessful in required training at the FAA Academy or a field facility. These candidates will be removed from further consideration."

Granted this is for Academy Trainees not prior experience. The SOP for the placement of prior experience new hires only deals with the process after you're fully cleared. Next time I'm at work I'll try to find the SOP for the clearance of prior experience new hires (if it exists).
Any luck finding the SOP for the clearance of prior experience new hires, or does it not exist? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom