Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ATCEXP-66595

Just out of curiosity, would you mind stating your previous quals? You don't have to say where or anything, just type. I'm just interested to see how much prior experience plays into placements.
No problem at all! I was at Travis, Kunsan, and Shaw. All Radar.

Just got the same list. T75 has been the dream since I joined the AF as a controller 6yrs ago so pray for me guys.
That would be sweet! Congrats on the list!

And don’t forget to tell us where they placed you, congrats on the list. Looks good!
Will do!

That would be sweet! Congrats on the
Just out of curiosity, would you mind stating your previous quals? You don't have to say where or anything, just type. I'm just interested to see how much prior experience plays into placements.
No problem at all! I was at Travis, Kunsan, and Shaw. All Radar.
No shit, I got my badge at SSC RAPCON. Great people there. Did you know BP?

Congrats on making it out of Tier 2 purgatory. Do you mind sharing your previous experience?
Shortly after I received my CIL in early 2018, I went to one of the FAA's designated AME's — and against the advice of my peers already in the FAA, I was a bit "too honest" on my medical questionnaire. One section inquires about your previous driving history and I admitted to having several speeding tickets from my early twenties/crotch rocket days; one of which was considered reckless and resulted in a temporary license suspension. I figured the FAA was going to scrub to National Driver's Registry anyway, so I might as well fess-up.

Needless to say, that confession held me up significantly and instantly put me in Tier 2 status. But out of curiosity, I checked with the NDR after the fact and I had ZERO record of driving infractions on file. So I definitely threw myself under the bus. The FAA wanted to conduct their own investigation so I ended up having to contact various counties from when I used to live in NY and obtain all sorts of records for my HR POC. They wanted written statements of my own explaining each ticket, and proof they had been paid.

On top of that, I failed the MMPI. Double-whammy. I didn't really bother hitting up HR every month. I just let the process play out on its own. Every 3-6 months I would receive an update via email. Eventually, they scheduled me a two-part appointment with a psychologist to determine my suitability (conversation about my upbringing, inkblot test, various mental screening test administered via computer, and a second go at the MMPI). That took place in May 2019. I didn't receive the results of my evaluation until Aug/Sept of this year.

Shortly after that, I received instructions to re-do my urinalysis and flight physical — success. And a few weeks later, I was fully cleared.

Throughout the process, I was completely cooperative and non-confrontational despite HR's perceived lack of urgency and less-than-prompt/unanswered emails. Although, I did send a nasty-gram at one point towards the end of the process and cc'd everyone in the HR department I could find. No one seemed to know what the hell was going on with my application and I was getting instructions to do things I had already done months ago from different HR POCs.

Anyhow, I stayed patient, continued to live my life, and FAA slowly (but surely) handed things in the background — despite CV19 throwing a wrench in all of our plans as well.

Back
Top Bottom