Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-23-ATCEXP-82723 (Prior Experience)

So if a prior CPC applies do they save pay from when they quit?
Assuming not transferring in from another fed position, Bottom of cpc band

ipad corrected cpc to coconut. I like it.
the rock disney GIF by Moana

Assuming not transferring in from another fed position, Bottom of cpc band

ipad corrected cpc to coconut. I like it.
the rock disney GIF by Moana

I transferred back into the FAA from a DOD GS12 and was put at the bottom of the 12 band at my new facility. This was in 2021.

How can they force someone who has been out of the agency for greater than a yr back to their old facility when they’ve applied to a prior experience bid?

I can understand this happening under the reinstatement SOP, but under the prior experience bid you should be treated the same as all the other candidates that applied that meet the stated requirements.

How can they force someone who has been out of the agency for greater than a yr back to their old facility when they’ve applied to a prior experience bid?

I can understand this happening under the reinstatement SOP, but under the prior experience bid you should be treated the same as all the other candidates that applied that meet the stated requirements.
Call HR and ask…

Does age matter in this prior experience bid? I turned 35 6 months ago...
Applicants, who are maintaining 52 consecutive weeks of ATC experience, after receipt of an air traffic certification or ATC facility rating, must be age 35 or below, on or before the closing date of the vacancy.

Right from the job announcement. So if you are 35 when it closed out you will be fine as long as you correctly applied and attached the appropriate documentation.

Applicants, who are maintaining 52 consecutive weeks of ATC experience, after receipt of an air traffic certification or ATC facility rating, must be age 35 or below, on or before the closing date of the vacancy.

Right from the job announcement. So if you are 35 when it closed out you will be fine as long as you correctly applied and attached the appropriate documentation.
Even if you’re prior FAA and were originally hired before 35? For some reason I thought your age “froze” in the eyes of the FAA at your initial hiring?

Even if you’re prior FAA and were originally hired before 35? For some reason I thought your age “froze” in the eyes of the FAA at your initial hiring?
Your age does freeze. Once you obtain your 2152 before the age of 35 its locked in. This also applies if you get a DOD job and obtain your 2152 that way.

Your age does freeze. Once you obtain your 2152 before the age of 35 it’s locked in. This also applies if you get a DOD job and obtain your 2152 that way.
Thanks! I emailed HR a while ago to ask this exact question, and they never got back to me. So the 35 age cutoff doesn’t apply to former FAA/DoD then. Good to know!

Thanks! I emailed HR a while ago to ask this exact question, and they never got back to me. So the 35 age cutoff doesn’t apply to former FAA/DoD then. Good to know!
Yeah from what I have read and been told, I will 2nd what TushingPin said. The age limit is for us normal prior experience hires that have not held a 2152 position.
The age lock is the reason so many can jump back and fourth between DoD and FAA facilities without having a break in federal service.

Any idea if a contract tower counts as 2152 experience for a prior experience bid? I got into the FAA before I turned 29, but it's been over 4 years now and things are so bad at my current facility that in those 4 years, I have yet to get a single qualification cause we don't even have the staffing to train. Debating getting out, getting my CTO and working contract while trying to get back into the agency, since I was in before I was 35. Or would I have to apply with the off the street crowd?

Any idea if a contract tower counts as 2152 experience for a prior experience bid? I got into the FAA before I turned 29, but it's been over 4 years now and things are so bad at my current facility that in those 4 years, I have yet to get a single qualification cause we don't even have the staffing to train. Debating getting out, getting my CTO and working contract while trying to get back into the agency, since I was in before I was 35. Or would I have to apply with the off the street crowd?
If it’s really that bad, you should be filing grievances and a lot more. Something is obviously going on there beyond staffing.

Should be good. I think that 35 requirement is just for getting into the agency initially.

Depending on your situation- would not recommend. You could just end up back at your originally facility or never rehired. You will have to retake the MMPI in addition to several other clearance/medical items. Contract is not better. You will have to certify in a much smaller period of time. Can be as little as 3 months- or you’re fired in which you then cannot reapply to the FAA… so quit before that happens. No judgements but ask yourself 2 things: if I haven’t certified in 4 years can I certify in 3 months where the staffing isn’t any better and if I never get back into the FAA what is my backup plan. It will be at least 2 years before you get back in and you will be/would have been certified by then… so just enjoy the longer breaks until then. Wishing you the best.

Depending on your situation- would not recommend. You could just end up back at your originally facility or never rehired. You will have to retake the MMPI in addition to several other clearance/medical items. Contract is not better. You will have to certify in a much smaller period of time. Can be as little as 3 months- or you’re fired in which you then cannot reapply to the FAA… so quit before that happens. No judgements but ask yourself 2 things: if I haven’t certified in 4 years can I certify in 3 months where the staffing isn’t any better and if I never get back into the FAA what is my backup plan. It will be at least 2 years before you get back in and you will be/would have been certified by then… so just enjoy the longer breaks until then. Wishing you the best.
Would love it if I could, and I know the contract towers require faster quals. The reason I cannot certify in 4 years is because no training is available (I get Covid was in there, but still). I'm sorry but when it takes 7 months to get 40 hours on ONE POSITION... I'd be looking at CPC'ing around my 10-15 year mark at this rate, and that is a long time to be living at the SoCal poverty line. And I held previous tower quals in the military, just never got trained on local, so never got a chance at a CTO, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

Would love it if I could, and I know the contract towers require faster quals. The reason I cannot certify in 4 years is because no training is available (I get Covid was in there, but still). I'm sorry but when it takes 7 months to get 40 hours on ONE POSITION... I'd be looking at CPC'ing around my 10-15 year mark at this rate, and that is a long time to be living at the SoCal poverty line. And I held previous tower quals in the military, just never got trained on local, so never got a chance at a CTO, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.
If you don’t already have a cto you’ll be hard pressed to find a contract company that will hire you. Your best bet would be to stay in or try to hardship to a tower somewhere else.

If you don’t already have a cto you’ll be hard pressed to find a contract company that will hire you. Your best bet would be to stay in or try to hardship to a tower somewhere else.
Which is why, if you look back at my original question, I asked about going to the CTO school in Georgia, or there is one that is supposed to be opening up in Florida this year, getting my CTO that way, and going contract until I can get back into the agency or going the DOD route once I have my CTO.

Which is why, if you look back at my original question, I asked about going to the CTO school in Georgia, or there is one that is supposed to be opening up in Florida this year, getting my CTO that way, and going contract until I can get back into the agency or going the DOD route once I have my CTO.
Use the search function, I have posted about it before.

Back
Top Bottom