FAA messed up my medical process, so I filed a congressional complaint.

TLaVoie

So here's what happened:

I was just informed 3 weeks ago that I'm being placed in the MMPI Tier 2 process, which means I'll possibly have to wait another year to get cleared. I originally applied in the summer of 2019.

This doesn't make sense to me because I have already passed the MMPI twice before I failed it the third time somehow. I used to have an Adderall prescription, so I took the FAA Evaluation and got cleared by the psychiatrist more than a year ago. But my medical person did not clear me because I didn't wait 90 days between stopping my prescription and taking the FAA Evaluation with the Psychiatrist, also because apparently I didn't take a drug test before that Evaluation even though my Psychiatrist told me he received it and I paid $60 for it. So I had to take the FAA Evaluation AGAIN and pay another $2000 out of pocket for it, along with another drug test, because NO ONE informed me I had to wait 90 days between stopping my prescription and taking the Evaluation, and because somebody somewhere lost my original drug test. The second time I took the FAA Evaluation I got cleared of everything the Medical team asked me to get cleared for, but this time I somehow didn't pass the MMPI after I already passed it two times prior to taking it this third time (I took the original MMPI then I had to take it each time I took the FAA Evaluation).

So my medical person sent my file to the federal air surgeon to get reviewed, which took an entire year, just to tell me that they're placing me in Tier 2. They could have told me that last June considering I got cleared of everything else they asked me to get cleared for and the only issue was the fluke MMPI failure.

The possibility of having to wait an additional year to get my clearance does not seem fair, nor justified to me, considering I passed every single test that has been given to me. Also, because I would have been cleared the first time if the Medical team properly communicated with me that I had to wait 90 days between stopping my prescription and taking the FAA Evaluation. My FAA Psychiatrist and AME even said I should've been cleared the first time and the 90 day waiting period thing is just a formality. I have been extremely patient, but I also had to spend an additional $2000 ($4800 total) on the FAA Evaluation because of their failure to communicate the 90 day waiting period with me and because someone lost my drug test.

So I filed a Congressional complaint and and Senator Duckworth said she's gonna help me out. I really hope this gets fixed quickly.

Oh man, I wouldn’t expect much from Duckworth, she is all talk and all for show. But anyway, I’m sorry this is all playing out for you, the best move might have been to walk away near the beginning (#notthebestjobintheworld), but now that you are in so deep I can see you not wanting to give it up. It will be a long process even if you can get it expedited somehow but maybe it will be worth it to you if you truly are that passionate about the career and end up in a nice first facility.

Oh man, I wouldn’t expect much from Duckworth, she is all talk and all for show. But anyway, I’m sorry this is all playing out for you, the best move might have been to walk away near the beginning (#notthebestjobintheworld), but now that you are in so deep I can see you not wanting to give it up. It will be a long process even if you can get it expedited somehow but maybe it will be worth it to you if you truly are that passionate about the career and end up in a nice first facility.
Such an unnecessary take. Shame.

I mean this is something I've always been interested in doing so I want to give it a shot. I'm just really frustrated because I should've been cleared over a year ago now. Duckworth has actually been really helpful already, she sent the FAA an email the day after I told her about this and is gonna call them next week if there's no solution yet. I actually filed a congressional complaint because someone within the FAA medical team told me to and that it would help me a lot, he told me not to use his name lol he also said his boss emailed HQ about my situation. So i'm hopeful that between that and Duckworth that something positive will happen

I mean this is something I've always been interested in doing so I want to give it a shot. I'm just really frustrated because I should've been cleared over a year ago now. Duckworth has actually been really helpful already, she sent the FAA an email the day after I told her about this and is gonna call them next week if there's no solution yet. I actually filed a congressional complaint because someone within the FAA medical team told me to and that it would help me a lot, he told me not to use his name lol he also said his boss emailed HQ about my situation. So i'm hopeful that between that and Duckworth that something positive will happen
Maybe you have a good chance then, it appears you have done more then most people in similar situations so hopefully it will force them to take a look at it and give you a answer reasonably soon.

Maybe you have a good chance then, it appears you have done more then most people in similar situations so hopefully it will force them to take a look at it and give you a answer reasonably soon.
Yeah, I got very frustrated and sent a lot of emails explaining my situation to anyone who would listen. I hope it worked. I got tired of sitting around listening to their excuses. The medical guy who told me to contact the senator said I shouldn't have been placed in Tier 2 since the federal air surgeon could've just cleared me.

Yeah, I got very frustrated and sent a lot of emails explaining my situation to anyone who would listen. I hope it worked. I got tired of sitting around listening to their excuses. The medical guy who told me to contact the senator said I shouldn't have been placed in Tier 2 since the federal air surgeon could've just cleared me.
The apathy of bureaucracy in all branches of government is startling to say the least. Good on you for seizing the initiative and pushing forward, the complacency of applicants is also to be knocked, if you don’t push you will never get anywhere. This is your career, keep at it man.

The apathy of bureaucracy in all branches of government is startling to say the least. Good on you for seizing the initiative and pushing forward, the complacency of applicants is also to be knocked, if you don’t push you will never get anywhere. This is your career, keep at it man.
Just had my Tier 2 Eval on March 4th. I'm keeping at it. Lol

What's the tier 2? I just took my MMPI a few days ago. Is that the psych evaluation that you have to do if you fail the MMPI?

Do you ever get an explanation why you failed the MMPI? The little vid I watched before taking it said that most people get sent for a psych eval because they got an invalid MMPI test result, not that they actually failed the test and are psycho.
That's the nice way of saying you failed. They dont just randomly spend money and resources at people that dont fail the MMPI. I mean most people that do fail arent psychopaths, they just answered a question that set off a red flag, were inconsistent in their answers, or their score was too perfect.

Back
Top Bottom