FAA Moves to Accelerate Air Traffic Controller Hiring by Enhancing College Training Program

It will also be interesting to see how they handle the ATSA hurdle. The FAA should, but likely won't, stipulate that the ATSA (or whatever its future equivalent might be) should be administered as an entrance exam for the CTI school. I can see a future where Johnny ATC Jr breezes through CTI school racking up years of loans only to get sucker-punched out of the selection process at the end by failing the ATSA.

Will also be interesting to see if "dream" facilities will get to essentially direct hire CTI grads and keep screwing NCEPT people over even more.
To be fair, I think it's pretty hard to fail the ATSA. I think the reason most who take it don't get hired is because they don't score best qualified but I would think if someone goes to CTI school and passes the ATSA even with the minimally qualified score, they'll be hired.

Honestly the CTI school I went to in 2007 told myself and my parents that we were automatically hired after graduating. Fucking scam artist, I got hired off the street after putting myself 20k in debt. Fuck them.
Yeah I'm in the same boat lol. But it is true cti didn't produce the diversity required and that was a major factor to then end the program.

I'd love for us to get the benefit of matching student loan payments (be allowed to sub for tsp matching) for cti grads or something. But how do you sell we're going to reinstate a program that you MIGHT be hired IF we don't just say nevermind. I hope the schooling agreement has some sort of guaranteed placement.

I'm trying to think of a similar issue and I can only think of law and flight school, but there are so many lawyer offices and flight schools....versus one hiring authority?

I do not see a way to navigate the socio-economic factors influencing educational levels. Glad I'm not in charge of juggling this because I lack the training for anything other than a tower cab

Yeah I'm in the same boat lol. But it is true cti didn't produce the diversity required and that was a major factor to then end the program.
There was that, but the kicker was that CTI schools didn't produce better quality candidates either. So you had a diversity "barrier" that couldn't justify its existence.

They need to figure out a way to make the program meaningful. But that goes against the "I'll take anybody's money if they just giving it away" ethos of colleges.

There was that, but the kicker was that CTI schools didn't produce better quality candidates either. So you had a diversity "barrier" that couldn't justify its existence.

They need to figure out a way to make the program meaningful. But that goes against the "I'll take anybody's money if they just giving it away" ethos of colleges.
Maybe embry can finally charge a million if there's a government subsidized tech training lmao

They already did a big study. Some programs produced better candidates. There was core schools that had real labs. Then the FAA started letting shitty online get your cti degree in 4 months crap to be allowed

They already did a big study. Some programs produced better candidates. There was core schools that had real labs. Then the FAA started letting shitty online get your cti degree in 4 months crap to be allowed
Hey brotha. I’m one of those. Not online but a 2 year community college degree that didn’t teach much. We all can’t afford a fancy school. But I was top of my class then, in OKC, and now certified at two high level facilities. No matter how you put it, you’re either fit for the job or you’re not.

Hey brotha. I’m one of those. Not online but a 2 year community college degree that didn’t teach much. We all can’t afford a fancy school. But I was top of my class then, in OKC, and now certified at two high level facilities. No matter how you put it, you’re either fit for the job or you’re not.
And yet you still can’t just have an actual conversation about the issue. I went to a top CTI school in Canada and got very good grades

This just aired. We really have 30% quit?
We already can go straight from college to ojti?
Why is our lord and savior Rich Santa failing to appear on these news segments to defend the CRWG spreadsheet that’s been validated by MITRE? Why is Santa not appearing on every ATC segment, good or bad, and stating the CRWG numbers are corrected staffing numbers and must be included in FAA ReAuth so we can staff ATC buildings appropriately and reduce fatigue from 24 hour schedules? It seems like an easy win for NATCA if they bring this to light in spite of the FAA’s narrative on national TV that they are trying everything and doing all they can to increase hiring and training. Hiring to the old numbers is not appropriate for air traffic anymore. It would make the dollars spent on the CRWG spreadsheet go a little further if NATCA could/would defend the staffing numbers on national TV and show the public that the FAA is refusing to adopt corrected staffing numbers and hire appropriately. They aren’t even running the academy at full capacity because of finance. So far the spreadsheet is not enough. It needs backup.

Why is our lord and savior Rich Santa failing to appear on these news segments to defend the CRWG spreadsheet that’s been validated by MITRE? Why is Santa not appearing on every ATC segment, good or bad, and stating the CRWG numbers are corrected staffing numbers and must be included in FAA ReAuth so we can staff ATC buildings appropriately and reduce fatigue from 24 hour schedules? It seems like an easy win for NATCA if they bring this to light in spite of the FAA’s narrative on national TV that they are trying everything and doing all they can to increase hiring and training. Hiring to the old numbers is not appropriate for air traffic anymore. It would make the dollars spent on the CRWG spreadsheet go a little further if NATCA could/would defend the staffing numbers on national TV and show the public that the FAA is refusing to adopt corrected staffing numbers and hire appropriately. They aren’t even running the academy at full capacity because of finance. So far the spreadsheet is not enough. It needs backup.
Pretty sure it said faa says needs and Union says double that

Pretty sure it said faa says needs and Union says double that
The reporter stated that. But NATCA is letting a reporter give a 10 word blurb about what they say staffing should be rather than defend a spreadsheet they spent time and money on creating to help fix staffing, only to have it do absolutely nothing.

I still don’t know how anyone would know that the old numbers are right or wrong.

The reporter stated that. But NATCA is letting a reporter give a 10 word blurb about what they say staffing should be rather than defend a spreadsheet they spent time and money on creating to help fix staffing, only to have it do absolutely nothing.
How much of the public cares about atc staffing...? Zero until their flights are delayed.

Congress may be a different story and into spreadsheets but the news doesn't care about that.

If you want to get the public's attention we need a scary story about 6 day work weeks and fatigue caused by staffing. Or about delays due to staffing.

Even then it won't help the faa can just say we have a brand new cti program.

Quote me in 5 years this forum will flip from we're understaffed to there's no ot available.

Also we are gonna hit by white book 2.0 if we keep pitching about staffing while facilities average under 5 on position.

Wanted to continue my point with the chart on this table very few facilities average 5 hours so how can you complain about staffing when half your day is on break? (I realize this is not reality every facility)

Post in thread 'Easiest facilities for every dollar/ hardest facilities for every dollar' Easiest facilities for every dollar/ hardest facilities for every dollar

How much of the public cares about atc staffing...? Zero until their flights are delayed.

Congress may be a different story and into spreadsheets but the news doesn't care about that.

If you want to get the public's attention we need a scary story about 6 day work weeks and fatigue caused by staffing. Or about delays due to staffing.

Quote me in 5 years this forum will flip from we're understaffed to there's no ot available.

Also we are gonna hit by white book 2.0 if we keep pitching about staffing while facilities average under 5 on position.
I work at a little OT available area. If we hit our new CRWG number I don’t know how we’d work more than 2 hours a day. It would be comical to say the least

I still don’t know how anyone would know that the old numbers are right or wrong.
NATCA used your dues to pay MITRE to verify and validate the CRWG numbers. It doesn’t matter if the numbers are right or wrong. This is the avenue they chose to go down. They have claimed it is a “repeatable process” but they won’t defend this process or the numbers when news segments like this come up and they have the opportunity to inform the public of the FAA’s mismanagement. They just let some reporter make a statement that says we need 2x what the FAA says we need with no data or evidence to back it up.

I’m not for the CRWG numbers. Some of them are absolutely insane and will lead to controllers tripping over each other while working. It will exacerbate an already shitty transfer process and knowing the FAA staffing to 85% of the 100% number now, will be the same as staffing to 70% of the 100% number if these numbers are implemented. But this is where the union chose to spend my dues, so they should do something with this data, like defend it.

Wasn’t the NYT article “the scary story about 6 day work weeks, fatigue and staffing shortages”. It dove deep into the staffing crisis and over working of controllers. If NATCA was on the news saying “we have a staffing problem, we’ve offered solutions, here they are, but the FAA is not going with the solutions for safety and instead going with financial solutions” I think we could get a few eyebrows raised when it comes to the safety air travel.

Wasn’t the NYT article “the scary story about 6 day work weeks, fatigue and staffing shortages”. It dove deep into the staffing crisis and over working of controllers. If NATCA was on the news saying “we have a staffing problem, we’ve offered solutions, here they are, but the FAA is not going with the solutions for safety and instead going with financial solutions” I think we could get a few eyebrows raised when it comes to the safety air travel.
Yeah that's what I mean I think this is just a fluff piece following that.

That said I wouldn't be against using the same numbers and then slamming the goal of 1500 (or whatever it actually was in the video)

Yeah that's what I mean I think this is just a fluff piece following that.

That said I wouldn't be against using the same numbers and then slamming the goal of 1500 (or whatever it actually was in the video)
Fluff piece or not, NATCA has been silent. They are noticeably absent from these segments and NOT advocating for their members. Especially on things they’ve spent significant time and dues money on creating, like the CRWG spreadsheet. The FAA managed to get somebody to appear to talk about their efforts. Where is NATCA? Were they not invited or uninterested? They have a whole team dedicated to PA like this but they’re probably working from home, unchecked, hitting the gym in the morning and mowing the lawn by noon with an ice cold beer in their hand cause they’re definitely not putting together easily digestible information and data about how poor staffing is and how overworked controllers are for the public to see on news segments such as these. In order to change the public’s perception of ATC they’d actually have to try.

Back
Top Bottom