FSS jobs in Alaska

I worked in Kenai for close to two years and had also asked about getting to PAQ. There are only two operational positions there and they are both staffed with well tenured people so unless they retire or bail for another reason PAQ is full up! They also have two staff supervisor positions as I recall that take care of the “central rotation.”

AT-SA invites are going out for the February FSS bid. Got mine this afternoon. Gonna check with PSI before I schedule it since I'm living in corona stricken New York ?.

Well, this has been a roller coaster of a thread. I thought FSS was just a sub of ATC, but seems it's quite different and the transferability isn't quite there

AT-SA invites are going out for the February FSS bid. Got mine this afternoon. Gonna check with PSI before I schedule it since I'm living in corona stricken New York ?.

I missed the January OTS (I'm 30 years old) but got in the FSS late Feb. I also received an email today for AT-SA. Soonest in northern California was May 20th. I assume the next classes would begin late this year / early 2021?

I also missed the January OTS bid, but got into the FSS bid. I just received the invitation to take the AT-SA. If I'm not mistaken, is it possible to get all of the things like exam scores, medical, and MMPI-2 done during this process that would then easily transfer over to the next OTS bid if I ended up not choosing to pursue FSS? From the posts I have read this generally seems to be the case, but there seems to also be some weird peculiarities with FSS.

I also missed the January OTS bid, but got into the FSS bid. I just received the invitation to take the AT-SA. If I'm not mistaken, is it possible to get all of the things like exam scores, medical, and MMPI-2 done during this process that would then easily transfer over to the next OTS bid if I ended up not choosing to pursue FSS? From the posts I have read this generally seems to be the case, but there seems to also be some weird peculiarities with FSS.
From everything I've read and seen. Yes. All the background/mmpi/atsat/physical etc. Will carry over for however long they are good for (those lengths are in here somewhere. Mmpi for 2 years I think and others). Just some food for thought though.... They have a backlog of people who will need replaced at the academy right now, and then they will need to reschedule people who were scheduled and classes cancelled. Then I would imagine theyd start the process of getting these guys on this bid going, and blah blah blah. Not telling you this stuff doesn't help, but just all things to consider.

I missed the January OTS (I'm 30 years old) but got in the FSS late Feb. I also received an email today for AT-SA. Soonest in northern California was May 20th. I assume the next classes would begin late this year / early 2021?

So if it's anything like the timeline when I went through the terminal option a few years ago, it was almost exactly a year from applying online to starting in OKC. Tentative Offer Letters (TOLs) went out about 90 days after scheduling the AT-SA.

I think it's probably a good assumption to expect the first couple of TOLs going out in August/September at the earliest, but who knows with the way classes are getting bottlenecked like Nfingers said. Honestly I'd prefer to either skip basics or do it online than wait. At this rate I think new FSS hires will get class dates some time after February 2021, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there will be more TOLs going out for the May '19 bid? Is it typical for TOLs to be sent out so far out? I know there's been another bid since then, but my status still says "referred" and my ATSA results placed me in the "best qualified" category. Just curious if I realistically have a chance here. I know hiring is probably a bit wonky due to the pandemic.

Application status updated on USAJobs for some people today. Referred/Best Qualified; hoping for a TOL (relatively) soon.

Stewie, fingers crossed for you, maybe with things getting back to normal-ish they'll start sending more out.

Anyone know if there will be more TOLs going out for the May '19 bid? Is it typical for TOLs to be sent out so far out? I know there's been another bid since then, but my status still says "referred" and my ATSA results placed me in the "best qualified" category. Just curious if I realistically have a chance here. I know hiring is probably a bit wonky due to the pandemic.
I got my TOL mid April. So maybe. I haven’t started anything just the background and drug test.

Got the email stating I had failed the ATSA. Darn. Funny because I felt decent about my test. This probably rules me out for the regular ATC bid I applied to, huh? good luck all.

Got the email stating I had failed the ATSA. Darn. Funny because I felt decent about my test. This probably rules me out for the regular ATC bid I applied to, huh? good luck all.
Your a current FSS and failed? How is this possible, I thought FSS was “the third option in ATC” lol. I’m just playing, I actually feel really bad for the guy who said that, he was fighting the NCEPT war with us alone on a different front and eventually quit out of frustration.

In all seriousness, don’t let it ruin you, take it again next time as I don’t think there are limits. Focus more on separating the planes then the math at the end, that might have been the difference, the rest of the test is pretty easy.

No, FSS bids are separate from ATC bids. You can still take the ATSA again for a different bid, and with a shot at doing better.
I second this. I applied to the 2019 FSS bid and then 2 months later to the 2019 ATC bid. Took 2 different ATSA tests about 3 months apart. First for FSS and the second for the ATC bid. Helped tremendously.

No, FSS bids are separate from ATC bids. You can still take the ATSA again for a different bid, and with a shot at doing better.

Really? I only got one invite to take the ATSA despite being "accepted" or whatever to both bids. How do I go about scheduling a 2nd attempt? I know it'll have to wait with COVID but knowing this gives me hope that I could take it again sometime this year.

Your a current FSS and failed? How is this possible, I thought FSS was “the third option in ATC” lol. I’m just playing, I actually feel really bad for the guy who said that, he was fighting the NCEPT war with us alone on a different front and eventually quit out of frustration.

In all seriousness, don’t let it ruin you, take it again next time as I don’t think there are limits. Focus more on separating the planes then the math at the end, that might have been the difference, the rest of the test is pretty easy.

Thanks. I had 3 collisions total over 2 scenarios, did the math problems when I could... actually thought I did decent on everything else, and felt that the test wasn't too bad at all...guess not!

Really? I only got one invite to take the ATSA despite being "accepted" or whatever to both bids. How do I go about scheduling a 2nd attempt? I know it'll have to wait with COVID but knowing this gives me hope that I could take it again sometime this year.
You will get a second invitation for the second bid.

Anyone else on here going to the June FSS class in Kenai?

How were (are?) things in Kenai during all of this craziness? FSS Academy is such an enigma to me. Even ancient StuckMic threads don't have much to offer info-wise.

Side note: Covid is somehow making the wait for TOLs feel twice as long as it felt for me in 2017.

Last edited:
How were (are?) things in Kenai during all of this craziness? FSS Academy is such an enigma to me. Even ancient StuckMic threads don't have much to offer info-wise.

Side note: Covid is somehow making the wait for TOLs feel twice as long as it felt for me in 2017.
Everything is going well. It's pretty much business has usual here in Kenai. Everything in AK. is open so has long has nobody at the facility gets covid we won't have to go to zoom calls.

Back
Top Bottom