Ft. Campbell, Ky Announcements & Buc-ees

TLDR: You should apply, but do your homework first.

SWDL234354367169 & CHDE234354362546D BOTH ARE TERM slots held for overseas employees with return rights- Please do your own research!!! After 1 yr, the Term MAY be extended 1 yr at a time up to 6(I think). Terms MAY be converted to perm without competing or MAY have to compete. Please do your own research!!!! But it's nobody's intention to spend months training someone without getting a return on investment. So far, we've had several Terms over the last 6-7 yrs and all but 1 have been made perm without competing and we have 1 term still in training. The 1 that wasn't made perm left before finishing training. Please do your own research!!!! Any questions on this subject I'd have to direct to HR. If you're on the fence please contact the Army Applicant Help Desk (see announcement).

The Perm slot outlook: We have some likely retirements in the next year, a few in 3 yrs and a bunch in 5 yrs. Absolutely, no guarantee of perm placement, unfortunately.

You start at GS-11. After 52 weeks of GS11 time has been satisfied AND checkout is complete, you MAY get bumped to GS12. So far, since 2002, everyone has been bumped when these requirements were satisfied.

Hours: 24/7. Many shift options available. 2-2-1 (grinder), straight days, straight afternoons, 5 8's, 4 10's, 5/4 9's could be a thing, A little bit of OT, but not much. Staffing is pretty decent right now.

Seniority: Goes by SCD, so your FAA and/or military time would count. CAVEAT: retired military drawing pension start at day one SCD with some exceptions for time spent in designated locations during war. See HR for more info.

Lifestyle: The majority of the base is in TN. No state income tax, unless you choose to live in KY. Most people live in Clarksville, TN. Nashville is less than an hour away. Some choose to live there and commute. Clarksville has grown substantially over the last several years and turned from strip malls and chains into developing its own cool-ish little vibe with breweries, hipster bars and restaurants. We even have a venue for hockey now, just no hockey team yet. Growth has outpaced infrastructure and traffic can suck, but shift hours rarely conflict with traffic. Like everywhere else on earth, real estate prices have increased, so it's no longer cheap, but it's cheaper than most places. Clarksville is the 5th largest city in TN and on pace to be 4th very soon, sorry CHA.

Spot leave is not difficult to get. Relationship between management and BUE is decent. We had several controllers that came here for the touch-and-go when the reinstatement to a premium FAA facility was a thing. We only lost 1 to reinstatement, the rest have stayed.

Pay: 30% SSR 0565 SSR Table Here is paid and counts towards retirement, this is in lieu of Locality. 5% ATC premium is also paid but does NOT count towards retirement. Retirement, leave, and bennies (not through the union) are the same as the FAA and will transfer. 10% night diff, 1.5X pay for OT, 2X time for holiday, NO Training Pay, CIC and certainly no CIP. You still gotta retire at 56 unless you have a waiver.

If I haven't sold you yet, know this: We're getting a Buc-ees. :D
Reference this, when I was at Ft. Campbell, they extended my term by a year then told me I wouldn’t get extended after that because of a returning employee. Tried to transfer to HOP but wasn’t afforded that opportunity like some other controllers had.

Your mileage may vary.

Reference this, when I was at Ft. Campbell, they extended my term by a year then told me I wouldn’t get extended after that because of a returning employee. Tried to transfer to HOP but wasn’t afforded that opportunity like some other controllers had.

Your mileage may vary.
EOD is bit different. Y’all only had a handful of controllers, like 6 or 7, none of which were trying to leave or retire, leaving you no open perms spots to take. HOP has 34 ish controllers, a not insignificant number of which are either retirement eligible now or will be over the next 3-5 years (including the OP).

As for transferring to HOP, the DOD considers that move a promotion (GS-10 to GS 12)which would require being competitively selected. If you applied and weren’t selected, just keep on trying. There will be more.

EOD is bit different. Y’all only had a handful of controllers, like 6 or 7, none of which were trying to leave or retire, leaving you no open perms spots to take. HOP has 34 ish controllers, a not insignificant number of which are either retirement eligible now or will be over the next 3-5 years (including the OP).

As for transferring to HOP, the DOD considers that move a promotion (GS-10 to GS 12)which would require being competitively selected. If you applied and weren’t selected, just keep on trying. There will be more.

Spoke to the ATC Chief about going over to HOP when I first got to EOD. Gave me some song and dance about possibly going TDY in the tower only, then apply to a bid, maybe even doing a veteran direct hire, etc.

Guess I was hoping to be like at least three (I think 4) of y’all’s controllers that were pulled directly from EOD.

Anyways I left FTCKY like 7mo ago for the FAA. I wanted to stay but homeboy from Kwaj was coming back.

Spoke to the ATC Chief about going over to HOP when I first got to EOD. Gave me some song and dance about possibly going TDY in the tower only, then apply to a bid, maybe even doing a veteran direct hire, etc.

Guess I was hoping to be like at least three (I think 4) of y’all’s controllers that were pulled directly from EOD.

Anyways I left FTCKY like 7mo ago for the FAA. I wanted to stay but homeboy from Kwaj was coming back.
That's a bummer. I'm glad you were able to land a FAA job.

Back
Top Bottom