Group form call sign

tink

How would you say SWA1002? SWA ten-oh-two or one thousand and two? I know 2-4-20 a2 has a note that says TWA ten zero four. So it seems SWA ten zero two is more correct than first possibilty I mentioned.

But group form is just defined as " the pronunciation of a series of numbers as the whole number, or pairs of numbers they represent rather than pronouncing each separate digit. "

So couldn't one thousand and two also be correct?

How would you say SWA1002? SWA ten-oh-two or one thousand and two? I know 2-4-20 a2 has a note that says TWA ten zero four. So it seems SWA ten zero two is more correct than first possibilty I mentioned.

But group form is just defined as " the pronunciation of a series of numbers as the whole number, or pairs of numbers they represent rather than pronouncing each separate digit. "

Oh is not a number. You say that your trainer is gonna ream you, Southwest ten zero two is appropriate and easiest to understand over frequency.

I would say southwest ten oh two every single time, so long as I’m not in training.

but I often hear pilots call themselves southwest one thousand two.

I would say southwest ten oh two every single time, so long as I’m not in training.

but I often hear pilots call themselves southwest one thousand two.

?

Your first example is wrong. Oh is letter, not a number. Ten zero two is fine. One thousand two is also acceptable

Yes, I realized that. The pilot called himself ten oh two, after I called him one thousand and two. I was thinking "oh ain't even a number buddy"

Oh is not a number. You say that your trainer is gonna ream you, Southwest ten zero two is appropriate and easiest to understand over frequency.

Yes, the pilot called himself ten oh two when I reached out to him as one thousand and two.

Just checking to make sure it was acceptable group form.
I try to say what the pilot himself says even though I've had a few say their own callsigns obnoxiously wrong over and over. Am I being tested?! Is an inspector on board? Is he trying to get me into QC's office?

southwest one double naught two....

Your first example is wrong. Oh is letter, not a number. Ten zero two is fine. One thousand two is also acceptable
The correct way is ten-zero-two. By the book this website is named after. Anything else is just slang. It’s acceptable for unprofessional pilots to say whatever anytime but anything we say other than the book is just slang. Which I use plenty of, but to be correct for lawyers it’s ten-zero-two.

I think the book also says you can say the numbers out individually. Ex: Southwest one zero zero two.
And if you follow what pilots tell you, you will call Spirit just Spirit and not Spirit Wings. And Frontier would be Frontier instead of Frontier Flight. It’s all minimal things but when you have something happen and everyone listens to your tape, you rather be perfect in all you say.

I think the book also says you can say the numbers out individually. Ex: Southwest one zero zero two.
And if you follow what pilots tell you, you will call Spirit just Spirit and not Spirit Wings. And Frontier would be Frontier instead of Frontier Flight. It’s all minimal things but when you have something happen and everyone listens to your tape, you rather be perfect in all you say.
Half the shit we say is cowboy phraseology. They understand it better though

I think, by the book, you can respond to them initially however they initially called. So I think you can get away with ten-oh-two the first time but not subsequent transmissions.

All the little rules. Like how you have to say “November Niner Zero Niner” but if it’s a callsign then “Southwest Nine Zero Nine” is fine. I always think its funny when they say “niner” and you respond “nine” and then wonder if they think that you’re playing mind games with them.

Back
Top Bottom