Hows everyone holding up since being sent home mid training?

I thought they were on admin leave so if they're not then yeah...they should either put them on admin leave or pay for their ticket to home. But every company definitely would have terminated and sent them home. I think every airline immediately went to their training classes with pink slips on day 1.
Airlines are a different story. There certainly won’t be a need for new pilots at a lot of places for a good bit. But say it was a more structural industry, like a trucking company or an IT company. They need good people and are willing to do whatever it takes to attract and retain them. The fact that about 1/3 of the ATC workforce can go retire whenever means the faa needs these people, especially after how long it takes to vet them.

Airlines are a different story. There certainly won’t be a need for new pilots at a lot of places for a good bit. But say it was a more structural industry, like a trucking company or an IT company. They need good people and are willing to do whatever it takes to attract and retain them. The fact that about 1/3 of the ATC workforce can go retire whenever means the faa needs these people, especially after how long it takes to vet them.

Where does that 1/3 number come from? Looking at the work force plan it seems to be only around 10 percent are eligible for retirement.

That is exactly what they should be saying. Any company would have told new hires to get bent on the day they sent them home. No offense to any of you involved in this but you are more worthless than a one legged janitor right now. You're on admin leave while on probation...you have nothing to complain about.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. A lot of companies are and will be sending people home with nothing and everyone should be grateful for what they have done for us. That does not mean there is nothing to complain about or problems with how things are being dealt with. A few people I know are in pretty bad situations because of the academy being shutdown (of course this is out of anyone’s control). People can’t pay their bills without the per diem, people have no place to live for themselves and their families . . . . the list goes on. I was about 2 months in and I am lucky to have no consequences of the academy being shut down. I hope that if I make it through and get checked off at a facility, I will empathize with trainees similarly to how I empathized with controllers that weren’t getting paid during shutdowns when I was in a cushy job.

Definitely don’t think it’s fair to say academy students are totally worthless. The agency has spent tens of thousands of dollars on somebody before they make it to OKC. It makes way more sense to just pay them the measly $11-12 per hour they make than just toss everything and say they’re going to start over.

Definitely don’t think it’s fair to say academy students are totally worthless. The agency has spent tens of thousands of dollars on somebody before they make it to OKC. It makes way more sense to just pay them the measly $11-12 per hour they make than just toss everything and say they’re going to start over.
No one is going to get tossed out.

I'm not saying that there aren't financial difficulties but as a country, we are probably heading towards 20% unemployment.

If you want to complain about being a probationary employee who is getting paid to do nothing right now who statistically has what...a 50% chance of even making it out of OKC then as someone else said...the squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease but rather gets replaced.

It's your career, do whatever you think it can stand.

I'm not saying that there aren't financial difficulties but as a country, we are probably heading towards 20% unemployment.

If you want to complain about being a probationary employee who is getting paid to do nothing right now who statistically has what...a 50% chance of even making it out of OKC then as someone else said...the squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease but rather gets replaced.

No these kids are gonna have the 95% government shutdown pass rate when they go back.

Greasing a squeaky wheel is cheaper than getting a whole new wheel.

Are academy students getting paid right now?

That is exactly what they should be saying. Any company would have told new hires to get bent on the day they sent them home. No offense to any of you involved in this but you are more worthless than a one legged janitor right now. You're on admin leave while on probation...you have nothing to complain about.
I'm not trying to complain. I am grateful for this opportunity and glad they have decided to continue to pay us. Its just difficult to be in a unique situation and not really have anywhere to call "home" for now since they won't send me back where I came from.

Back
Top Bottom