Is there anything I can do? Or just be miserable like the rest of us

Unfortunately it’s the way it is right now. Been in for 4 years and still on AG. ZNY is really the only place that expedites trainees to D2 before starting D-sides. My advice would be to find a second job while you can (sucks but just the way it is) or find other ways to bring in money. Even when I get to CPC pay, it’ll be nice to have multiple streams of income and not solely relying on the FAA. I had to get a second job to get that extra income and start that cash flow but now, I don’t need the second job. I fortunately picked up a few things that bring in a steady amount of money every month. Depending on what you would pursue if you leave, it may or may not be worth it. I would suggest to keep a long term outlook unless you’re continuously putting your life away. In that case, life is way too short.

Definitely not ZNY. Those guys get pit classes and get bumped to D2 while waiting for their d-side classes. I’ve heard up to a year before you get that D2 raise with the pit certification (About $114,000 with no norm differentials)
"Work two jobs while you are in training" is some definite best job in the world shit.
All I have to say is your complaints are 100% justified, but good luck getting anything to change. Im not sure where you are, but I know people who made it to ZME in Late 2018 who are just now getting D-Side certifications. If you NEST with no certs they’ll only offer you FSS in Alaska, if you file a grievance NATCA local will say it was due to national COVID policy that is out of their hands (even though that’s only a minority percentage of the training delay), if you ask your local why they can’t try to get a night time D-school they will tell you they can’t find enough contractors to do it. The excuses never end, but keep being the squeaky wheel and maybe somebody will give in and help you.
Similair situation. I'm now on year 4 plus at my mid level facility as a cpc it and have just recently (few months ago) finally started training downstairs. It's been delay after delay after delay. I grieved, got a lot of "well covid" and I'm like well what about the other 2 years of sitting there as staffing for the tower?

Zero help from the union when it comes to decreasing training delays.

"Work two jobs while you are in training" is some definite best job in the world shit.

Similair situation. I'm now on year 4 plus at my mid level facility as a cpc it and have just recently (few months ago) finally started training downstairs. It's been delay after delay after delay. I grieved, got a lot of "well covid" and I'm like well what about the other 2 years of sitting there as staffing for the tower?

I’m sorry to hear that. It seems management and the union throughout the nation seem to be giving the same response - COVID. And that this is “unprecedented.” The poster a couple posts above sounds just like management/the union. Hopeful words that have no resolution.

To answer your question, just be miserable. But you better be grateful #bestjobintheworld
That was cute

Remoting for people ahead of you or even your own classmates is a pretty common practice among all centers. Maybe I'm biased as a former RPO, but I really found it as a great way to practice phraseology, procedures, and a way to learn from others' mistakes. I definitely feel it helped me when I got to actual training. Try and take it for what it is.

Unfortunately in today's labor environment it has to be extremely difficult to fill positions that really are only a stepping stone. There is little to no career progression as an RPO. As far as paying you some of that money for RPOing, that's where the "additional duties as assigned" part comes in.

Your situation and circumstances sound so similar to ZMP, including down to CPDLC training. Newest folks in the building are not scheduled for d-sides until January of 2023. It's no June 2023, but still a significant delay.

Unfortunately COVID really screwed a lot of stuff up. Our facility has started washing people on their d-sides despite the wildly inconsistent training over the last year. It just doesn't seem fair, but management says they've afforded adequate training.

Some facilities have seemed to weather the storm better than others. I wish you luck, but I don't think you're going to get much. This whole situation is pretty unprecedented.
I don’t have a problem with being an RPO. I admit I learned a lot doing it. I’m talking about how shitty it is that they return a bunch of money back to agency when they claim they don’t have staffing, yet they have money. Hire some people since RPOs only get paid something like $20/hr. Get us trained.

For reference, they told us they had a cpc willing to teach the class, just no staffing otherwise.

That was a real non-answer to the side hustle question…
I PM’d him. Can’t PM you.

Lol yup. Tell me about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom