Terminal July 16, 2019 Terminal Basics

weidec45

I didn't see a thread for this already so I'll just go ahead and make one. I don't have housing nailed down yet- but I am looking for room mates and study partners. Post here to collaborate!

I didn't see a thread for this already so I'll just go ahead and make one. I don't have housing nailed down yet- but I am looking for room mates and study partners. Post here to collaborate!
I'm in the same boat. Looking around and trying to find the best bet for housing. Since they changed the per diem reimbursement, I'm not sure where to go at this point. I've heard best things about Kim's but from what I have been told it's the last stop on the shuttle and i don't plan on bringing a car to OKC.

I'm in the same boat. Looking around and trying to find the best bet for housing. Since they changed the per diem reimbursement, I'm not sure where to go at this point. I've heard best things about Kim's but from what I have been told it's the last stop on the shuttle and i don't plan on bringing a car to OKC.
I anticipate having my car with me. I have only heard good things about Kim's and Isola Bella. I would like to live as close to the academy as possible. But I can be flexible.

I'm in the class that started on May 13th. One person from our class is at Isola Bella and she is moving to Anatole since they increased the rate. Anatole is super nice and most from our class is there. Super close to the academy but in sort of a sketchy area. Me and 2 others live together at Kim's and couldn't be happier. Its 20 mins to the Academy, tons of food and entertainment options around. Plus the house is very nice and any maintenance issues we've had have been addressed in a matter of hours. New option for Kim's is 2 person (where both get a garage parking spot and a bathroom) or 3 person with food. As far as a car, bring one if you can.

I'm in the class that started on May 13th. One person from our class is at Isola Bella and she is moving to Anatole since they increased the rate. Anatole is super nice and most from our class is there. Super close to the academy but in sort of a sketchy area. Me and 2 others live together at Kim's and couldn't be happier. Its 20 mins to the Academy, tons of food and entertainment options around. Plus the house is very nice and any maintenance issues we've had have been addressed in a matter of hours. New option for Kim's is 2 person (where both get a garage parking spot and a bathroom) or 3 person with food. As far as a car, bring one if you can.
Excellent, everything I read about her setup has made the choice for me. I just spoke to Kim just now and the shuttle isn't an issue(i'm not driving from Florida to OKC). Also, I'll be doing the food pack since we can't pocket the difference in per diem. Thanks for the info!

Excellent, everything I read about her setup has made the choice for me. I just spoke to Kim just now and the shuttle isn't an issue(i'm not driving from Florida to OKC). Also, I'll be doing the food pack since we can't pocket the difference in per diem. Thanks for the info!
You should be able to do the 2 person with no food for $57

So I don't have housing set in stone yet, but I am leaning mostly towards FAA Crashpads at their Clearwater Homes location. I live 2 hours from OKC and I do not mind driving my car down there. I am also leaving teaching (Physics and Aerospace Engineering) to go into ATC and as part of my teacher mentality I don't mind leading study sessions.

Big Pros:
- 5 minutes from the academy
- They offer a $400 per month food stipend which is a workaround of the FAA's new per diem policy. You could potentially pocket more cash here than at another place.
- 2 car garage

Cons:
- No shuttle service
- No in-house food package.
- You will most likely have to have one or two room mates.

Message me if you're interested - or if you want to try to persuade me to go somewhere else. Otherwise I'm probably reserving a room on June 18.

So I don't have housing set in stone yet, but I am leaning mostly towards FAA Crashpads at their Clearwater Homes location. I live 2 hours from OKC and I do not mind driving my car down there. I am also leaving teaching (Physics and Aerospace Engineering) to go into ATC and as part of my teacher mentality I don't mind leading study sessions.

Big Pros:
- 5 minutes from the academy
- They offer a $400 per month food stipend which is a workaround of the FAA's new per diem policy. You could potentially pocket more cash here than at another place.
- 2 car garage

Cons:
- No shuttle service
- No in-house food package.
- You will most likely have to have one or two room mates.

Message me if you're interested - or if you want to try to persuade me to go somewhere else. Otherwise I'm probably reserving a room on June 18.
Totally get it, if I were driving I may think differently. So far all I've seen is two of us at Kim's based on her email to me and the other classmate. Haven't heard from anyone else on either this forum or even stuckmic(nobody really posts there often anyways).

Kim’s Place does offer the “Foodlist” which is not meant to replace your meals and incidentals perdiem. Students designed this list 7 years ago and we do not change due to FAA did not have issue with. If the Student wanted something not on the list then they will need to use their Meal perdiem. We did try to do a food credit (we thought would be a great idea) but was quickly told by the FAA this was a violation/fraud for Student and Housing provider. This is a very strict rule. We in no way wanted to place a student career in harms way by giving a food credit (Money). I did see this post last week and reached out to the FAA to see if the rules had changed. Their response was ….Nothing has changed. This is not allowed.
I sent another message on Friday asking for the exact rule/policy/restriction so I can share. I do not want to see a Student or Housing provider get into trouble over not understanding what you can or can’t do.

Got my welcome packet for this class date about three days ago. Sending the email in the morning to confirm at Kim's with student housing so I can lock it in.

Anyone else on here from this class? I'm flying out Sunday the 12th to get settled if anyone wants to meet up prior to class.

Hey guys! This is my class date as well, and I should be arriving in the OKC area on Sun 7/14. I'll be driving from SC to OKC. I'd be open to meeting up beforehand if anyone wants, depending on when I actually arrive, and for some potential study sessions or whatever thereafter.

Hey guys! This is my class date as well, and I should be arriving in the OKC area on Sun 7/14. I'll be driving from SC to OKC. I'd be open to meeting up beforehand if anyone wants, depending on when I actually arrive, and for some potential study sessions or whatever thereafter.
Yeah I put the wrong date on my previous post. I'll be arriving in the early afternoon on the 14th myself. Where are you staying in OKC?

I’ll be in this class as well, driving from St. Louis so I won’t get in until Monday afternoon. Staying at Anatole. Any study partners welcome!

Back
Top Bottom