KIWA

BDUB

Forum Sage
Any info on KIWA? I know it’s kicking busy and you work for your money but is the culture decent? Management decent? Do you get yearly pay increases with SERCO? Thanks

I know it’s kicking busy and you work for your money but is the culture decent?
Correct on the first part and about the culture it's always hard to say since personnel can turn over very quickly. YMMV
Management decent?
Surprisingly great while I was there. Nothing but good things to say about the ATM and FacRep. Again, could be new people so YMMV.
Do you get yearly pay increases with SERCO?
Yes, also KIWA is a NATCA facility. Not sure of the exact amount but its around 1.7% or something like that.

Personal opinion/experience:
Great facility if you like busy traffic. FCT's are underpaid as a whole; make no mistake you will earn your paycheck here. The FAA and local government are currently building a new tower at this location with construction set to complete in late 2022. I've only ever heard rumors of FCTs turning into FAA controlled airports, but if there was a prime candidate for it to happen, it would be KIWA. Quality of life outside of work is amazing here, tons of stuff to do in the immediate area and plenty of things to spend your hard earned money on... Housing in Phoenix metro is getting expensive; technically the tower is in Mesa, but most guys live in Gilbert/Tempe/other happening areas of town (generalizing), those who like a more quiet life live towards Queen Creek area (generalizing).. All very good locations, choose according to your lifestyle.

Overall: 8/10 would recommend. DO NOT go here if you want an easy cert or if you can't handle serious traffic volume. FWIW, I left to chase money overseas.

Correct on the first part and about the culture it's always hard to say since personnel can turn over very quickly. YMMV

Surprisingly great while I was there. Nothing but good things to say about the ATM and FacRep. Again, could be new people so YMMV.

Yes, also KIWA is a NATCA facility. Not sure of the exact amount but its around 1.7% or something like that.

Personal opinion/experience:
Great facility if you like busy traffic. FCT's are underpaid as a whole; make no mistake you will earn your paycheck here. The FAA and local government are currently building a new tower at this location with construction set to complete in late 2022. I've only ever heard rumors of FCTs turning into FAA controlled airports, but if there was a prime candidate for it to happen, it would be KIWA. Quality of life outside of work is amazing here, tons of stuff to do in the immediate area and plenty of things to spend your hard earned money on... Housing in Phoenix metro is getting expensive; technically the tower is in Mesa, but most guys live in Gilbert/Tempe/other happening areas of town (generalizing), those who like a more quiet life live towards Queen Creek area (generalizing).. All very good locations, choose according to your lifestyle.

Overall: 8/10 would recommend. DO NOT go here if you want an easy cert or if you can't handle serious traffic volume. FWIW, I left to chase money overseas.
Thanks I really appreciate all the info! I’m coming from lower level FAA so I’m hesitant on making the jump to contract. But it’s literally home for me so the decision is rough!

Thanks I really appreciate all the info! I’m coming from lower level FAA so I’m hesitant on making the jump to contract. But it’s literally home for me so the decision is rough!
Yikes. Why leave the faa for contract instead of waiting for a DOD or transfer internal FAA?

Can’t say I’m happy about it….when you’re low level facility and everyone that checks out is willing to go anywhere and all you want to do is go home not many other options ??‍♂️
Have you looked into CPC reinstatement? Or DoD? I was not a happy camper at my contract tower. Not because of the traffic, area or work conditions but more so the management (above your ATM)

Have you looked into CPC reinstatement? Or DoD? I was not a happy camper at my contract tower. Not because of the traffic, area or work conditions but more so the management (above your ATM)
Definitely thought about it. DOD towers aren’t near the valley where I am trying to get back to. As for reinstatement maybe down the line I’ll look into it. If I get hired at IWA id be all in for at least a few years not the biggest fan of screwing over people that spent their time training you…

Definitely thought about it. DOD towers aren’t near the valley where I am trying to get back to. As for reinstatement maybe down the line I’ll look into it. If I get hired at IWA id be all in for at least a few years not the biggest fan of screwing over people that spent their time training you…
Yeah man. I get it. But also fwiw, they don't really care. Contractors understand it's a revolving door and are used to training, unfortunately. Be careful (or more so not surprised) serco is actually fairly picky with who they send to IWA, GYR, RNT, and CHD. They look for some fairly serious experience. But would gladly hire you elsewhere to move to IWA in the future, typically.... Good luck no matter what!

Back
Top Bottom