Leaving and Getting Rehired Success Rate

The hard part of getting hired by the DOD is them actually hiring you without military experience or knowing the person doing the hiring

I've been trying for dod jobs for years I'm pretty picky about location though. Like I'm not really interested unless it's OCONUS picky.

OP change is scary but do what is gonna be best for you. I left for a different job in agency via ERR a few weeks ago (yes you can in fact ERR outside of atc and it's a much different process). My attitude is if I hate it I can always go back to atc at a later date and err back into atc and skip all the ncept nonsense to boot.

time will tell if that was a good or bad decision but as of right now I'm pretty on board with no nights, weekends or holidays and a regular sleep schedule And I actually ended up taking a Pay bump going to the GS scale, with another bigger one coming once I'm trained up in the new job. Add in as mentioned above much better career mobility and I don't see too many negatives outside of the work banter which I will miss.

Too many controllers pigeonholing themselves thinking that's all they are qualified for or out of some weird pride/ego controller juju or some combo of the two, when that's not the case at all.

The cap on the gs pay scale for gs-15 is equivalent to the cap at a level 10. If you work at a level 11 or 12 you can make a lot more than you could make on the gs scale.

The cap on the gs pay scale for gs-15 is equivalent to the cap at a level 10. If you work at a level 11 or 12 you can make a lot more than you could make on the gs scale.
Fair point, but a short list :

-Telework Option (most are doing 8 days work from home and 2 in the office per pay period)
-No six day work weeks
-No rotating shifts
-Weekends + Holidays off
-Detail opportunities (liaison with a variety of different agencies / make connections)
-Do not like the job? Transfer to another one without the Union Handicapping you because of staffing
-Pay cap on the GS scale as you pointed out (different agencies have different pay tables / different localities)
-Lack of ATC retirement (for simplicity purposes)

As opposed to

-Six day work weeks
-Constant rotating shifts
-Bad weather day, final strung out 30-40 miles +supervisors losing their mind
-Management goose stepping around the TRACON demanding constant updates because they cannot read a scope
-NATCA issues (enough said)
-Lack of Career progression post certification (minus Supervisor slots)
-Lack of ability to transfer inside ATO (Air Traffic Organization)

These are just some good things and bad things to consider. The "Best Job in the World" line is outdated and beaten to death from a time when a high school diploma could pay 6 figures with a strong Union (all praise Johnny "the Bull" Carr). Now the tag line is repeated early and often by a Union that stands only to gain for its own benefit while handicapping transfers of controllers stuck at their first (and sometimes only) facility not to even speak of the fact the Union will not fight for pay raises.,.. As previously mentioned, people want to bitch and moan but no one wants to do anything about it. When your career ends and you are still stuck at that level 6/7/ whatever, who really looked out for you? Was it management? Was it the Union? The answer is no one. You have to look out for you. Sure help our brothers and sisters along the way but in the end take care of you. Are quality of life changes more important to you or is showing up to work with no staffing relief in sight working 6 days a week while missing family events or your kids birthdays? The choice is yours.

Attachments

• DCB.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 99
Hey everyone. I’m debating leaving the agency and moving to another city in another state and starting a business. If I ever wanted to go back to ATC, would my original pay be considered if I applied for a facility a level or two down from current? Or do they re-start it at the lowest pay? Also if I took another job (DOD) within the government that was lower pay prior to going back to ATC, would they consider my original ATC pay? Or is it gone? Thanks sorry if it’s confusing but can’t find the resources anywhere for the answer.

Hey everyone. I’m debating leaving the agency and moving to another city in another state and starting a business. If I ever wanted to go back to ATC, would my original pay be considered if I applied for a facility a level or two down from current? Or do they re-start it at the lowest pay? Also if I took another job (DOD) within the government that was lower pay prior to going back to ATC, would they consider my original ATC pay? Or is it gone? Thanks sorry if it’s confusing but can’t find the resources anywhere for the answer.
Atc re entrant pay rules are in the contract

Are there any rules that the list placement group follows that generate said list? Is it completely random or is there a method to the madness? Metrics? Staffing levels for example … thx

Back
Top Bottom