Leaving and Getting Rehired Success Rate

Pendingleave

Any feedback on the success rate of people who have been out of the agency for a year and getting rehired? Mid-level Tracon (7-9) and 5+ years of CPC at current facility. I’m thinking about leaving for awhile and doing something else but don’t want to completely shut the door on getting my 20 years of good time at 50. I have 13 years in.

Any feedback on the success rate of people who have been out of the agency for a year and getting rehired? Mid-level Tracon (7-9) and 5+ years of CPC at current facility. I’m thinking about leaving for awhile and doing something else but don’t want to completely shut the door on getting my 20 years of good time at 50. I have 13 years in.
I’ve gotten two TOLs for prior exp bids but turned them down. They only offer old facility within a year. I’d say your chances of getting rehired are pretty good considering I’m 2/2 now. Now I’m waiting for another bid to come out so I can finally get an actual list because I’m outside a year finally

If you leave, be comfortable with the expectation of not being rehired.

annual/credit is paid out, sick leave is retained for any federal position.
Annual is also retained for a fed position if you interagency transfer. That’s what I did.
Yeah I was wondering what the lost looked like outside a year. Any tips on what to do before resigning with leave, ect….

I’m DOD now. And still getting good time. Benefits and retirement date are exactly the same. Don’t resign unless you are going to the private sector. If you go to another fed agency you’ll want to tell HR you want an interagency transfer so they can transfer leave and benefits for you

Annual is also retained for a fed position if you interagency transfer. That’s what I did.

I’m DOD now. And still getting good time. Benefits and retirement date are exactly the same. Don’t resign unless you are going to the private sector. If you go to another fed agency you’ll want to tell HR you want an interagency transfer so they can transfer leave and benefits for you
also DOD, came here to say that I've seen multiple people come from the FAA and go back. A lot of people getting list after list and turning it down because they are trying to get to a specific facility as well and the FAA keeps sending them lists and start dates.

I'm currently FAA, I accepted an offer to go work DOD... How far in advance should I give HR the heads up on the interagency transfer?

I contemplate going back DoD. I don’t even care about the pay cut at this point. The schedule and leave availability is sorely missed
I cannot emphasize the schedule enough, it is glorious, but I wish I had a bit more money. The positions I have looked at with the Agency allow for a lot more upward mobility than 2152's. Sitting on a GS-13 offer from D.C. at the moment, the chances of doing decent details are great (think Command Center, DHS/DOE/etc...). My point is a lot of people have to broaden their horizons, everyone wants to bitch but no one wants to do anything about it.

As long as you accept that there are a lot of unknowns and you could get screwed. If you're not a problem child at your current facility and leave on good terms, you SHOULD have no issues coming back.

I resigned from a level 6 with the intention of doing the old reinstatement direct hire to a 12. They canned that before I was eligible and turned it into the same thing as NEST essentially. Didn't bother applying for reinstatement after that. I then applied for a prior experience bid once I was past a year out of the agency. I hit the lottery and got into a highly desirable level 8.

Yeah just go DOD for awhile and and if you get bored apply to a previous experience bid, the agency doesn't care. I did it. There are always options and the FAA isn't going anywhere, they'll always be short of controllers.

I would love to get hired by the DOD but they don’t want me😭
It took me like almost 3 years to get picked up DOD, good ol boys club, they don't know you they don't want you no matter what your resume says.

For those who have resigned and waiting for the prior exp process, what have you been doing with that time since resigning?

For those who have done DoD, how does a civilian no military exp find their way in?

Any career path recommendations for us niche kind of folks?

Advice/things to do prior to resigning from the FAA?

For those who have resigned and waiting for the prior exp process, what have you been doing with that time since resigning?

For those who have done DoD, how does a civilian no military exp find their way in?

Any career path recommendations for us niche kind of folks?

Advice/things to do prior to resigning from the FAA?
Second question FAA and dod has an interchange agreement so you can apply to any DOD job that is open to federal employees.

Third question, if you’re looking for a change of pace, fed firefighters and fed law enforcement has the same special fers retirement as air traffic controllers. Just be sure the job opening says it’s a covered position because some law enforcement is not covered aka “good time”

Fourth question, my advice is you only live once. Shoot out some applications and try something else. The FAA ain’t going anywhere you can come back more than likely. Personally I’d stay federal so you can still collect a pension, keep your bennies, and retire at a hard date

Back
Top Bottom