Medical Military disability

J2qaz

Lurker
Has anyone had any experience with their military disability affecting their ability to get picked up by the FAA? For example, if I have disability through the VA for tinnitus and sleep apnea, is this something I have to disclose to the FAA and would it affect them hiring me or not? Any input would be appreciated. I haven’t yet gotten either of those things on my record, just food for thought since I’ll be out in the next year.

Has anyone had any experience with their military disability affecting their ability to get picked up by the FAA? For example, if I have disability through the VA for tinnitus and sleep apnea, is this something I have to disclose to the FAA and would it affect them hiring me or not? Any input would be appreciated. I haven’t yet gotten either of those things on my record, just food for thought since I’ll be out in the next year.
You best bet is to contact a flight surgeon and consult with them on these questions. You can schedule a Class 2 physical with them (you will have to pay out of pocket) to see if you can pass. Just be cautious what you claim disability on as the FAA has begun to crack down (at least pre-COVID) on disability ratings for Air Traffic.

I have both of those in my VA disability rating and had zero problem with either. FAA will require a CPAP usage report showing something like 75% or better day to day. You'll be required to give them this report every year. As long as your hearing isn't affected tinnitus is no biggie.

If you’re looking for a good recoure that’s off the record this is who NATCA uses. Homepage - AMAS Granted you’ll have to pay since you’re not a part of NATCA yet.

That being said having a VA disability doesn’t mean you won’t get hired but it is likely to extend the process. Additionally it could mean extra tests that you would have to pay for out of pocket. I waited till I was past my year mark with the agency to file for my benefits so there wouldn’t be any possible hang ups in the hiring process and such. That would be my recommendation. If you’re able to wait then do so.

That being said though, every issue I claimed on my VA disability I had already reported to the FAA on my flight physical.

Someone else said it too, I'm rated for tinnitus and sleep apnea too, 70% compliance on the CPAP and as long as you pass hearing you're good. Disclose everything because they'll find it anyway.

If you’re looking for a good recoure that’s off the record this is who NATCA uses. Homepage - AMAS Granted you’ll have to pay since you’re not a part of NATCA yet.

That being said having a VA disability doesn’t mean you won’t get hired but it is likely to extend the process. Additionally it could mean extra tests that you would have to pay for out of pocket. I waited till I was past my year mark with the agency to file for my benefits so there wouldn’t be any possible hang ups in the hiring process and such. That would be my recommendation. If you’re able to wait then do so.

That being said though, every issue I claimed on my VA disability I had already reported to the FAA on my flight physical.

When you say you waited till you were past your year mark before you filed for your benefits, what do you mean by that? Like you didn’t claim the benefits through the VA till you were picked up? I thought claiming disability was part of out-processing so I guess that’s something else I was unsure of.

When you say you waited till you were past your year mark before you filed for your benefits, what do you mean by that? Like you didn’t claim the benefits through the VA till you were picked up? I thought claiming disability was part of out-processing so I guess that’s something else I was unsure of.

You can claim disability 50 years from now, you don't necessarily have to file for anything prior to EAS. Though if you file within a year of your EAS it is presumed service connected which is usually the biggest hurdle for anyone.

I got out in April of 2018 and then went to the academy in November of 2018. I waited till I was hired by the FAA before filing my claim which I recently just did. So you can start your claim before you get out while out processing and it will go through faster. I didn’t file while I was in to ensure it didn’t slow down my medical. I was then overly cautious and didn’t file until I’d passed my year probationary period which ends a year after you start the academy. Looking back I should have filed as soon as I cleared medical but oh well.

I hadnt received my results at time of hire but i told them about sleep apnea, tmj and a couple other things. They asked for a personal statements and my medical records, was no big deal and went right on with the process.

I have the same and more ratings through the VA. The biggest issue that I had to overcome is the CPAP usage. Make sure that you have a full years worth of compliance with it so that when the FAA asks for it you won't have to build that time up. I feel that if I didn't have and use my machine for a full year when they needed it that I would have been denied. I am a strong believer in the CYA method and disclosed everything that I was rated for from the VA. I was fearful that both being federal agencies that somehow the FAA could see something on my VA ratings that I didn't disclose so I just told them everything. Just expect your clearance to take longer than others in your applicant group.

Hiring bid- June 2019- 61676
ATSA- September 2019
TOL- Early November 2019
Clearance less Medical- Early January 2020
Medically Cleared - Late April 2020

... Awaiting FOL due to COVID

I have the same and more ratings through the VA. The biggest issue that I had to overcome is the CPAP usage. Make sure that you have a full years worth of compliance with it so that when the FAA asks for it you won't have to build that time up. I feel that if I didn't have and use my machine for a full year when they needed it that I would have been denied. I am a strong believer in the CYA method and disclosed everything that I was rated for from the VA. I was fearful that both being federal agencies that somehow the FAA could see something on my VA ratings that I didn't disclose so I just told them everything. Just expect your clearance to take longer than others in your applicant group.

Hiring bid- June 2019- 61676
ATSA- September 2019
TOL- Early November 2019
Clearance less Medical- Early January 2020
Medically Cleared - Late April 2020

... Awaiting FOL due to COVID
mine didnt care about my CPAP usage, just as long as i met their guidelines for the following year. I had about 6 months months of subpar usage(4 hours most nights like 60% usage), all under what they required. I had to send in a personal statement saying I would abide by their standards while I worked for the FAA as well.

Back
Top Bottom