MMPI-2 Tier 2 Process

Congrats and all but this low key annoys me. I’m from 2017 bid, did my eval in November and I’m still waiting.

Uggh. I'm sorry. I hope you hear something soon! I currently work as a 911 Dispatcher and the background was extensive but man they need to get a better system for this. I know it's the feds but there has to be a more efficient way to move applicants along.

Uggh. I'm sorry. I hope you hear something soon! I currently work as a 911 Dispatcher and the background was extensive but man they need to get a better system for this. I know it's the feds but there has to be a more efficient way to move applicants along.

I’m aware of how extensive it is. I recently left my fed job for a great CIV job. It’d just be funny if I cleared this week only to leave this job in a few months.

It’s like once you move on in your life at all they’re ready to pull you back in. I’m just ready to start my controller career.

That's exactly how it works! I was in the process of getting qualified to buy a house and 3 days later I was notified of being cleared.

Oh yeah I won’t be doing anything like that anytime soon! I’m content living with family until I get the approval or denial.

I really hope to have an answer sooner rather than later though.

Applied for the OTS 2018 bid. Notified tier 2 April 2019. Had my tier 2 appointment in November.

Surprisingly received an email this morning I have been cleared and need to schedule a drug test since my last one has expired. I’m hoping this is the last step.

Happy to hear. I’m an OTS July 2018 applicant and I also had my tier 2 appointment in November 2019 (on the 12th). I’m hoping that means I’m coming up!!

Unfortunately in February of 2019 I broke my collarbone the week before my medical exam. The doctor made note of it and apparently I wasn’t allowed to move forward in the hiring process until I was healed. The FAA hiring team didn’t tell me that though. In August of 2019 they finally contacted me asking when I’d be done healing and I told them I was done back in April. Then they finally passed my files along to the next department. I waited several unnecessary months because of that.

anyways sorry for rambling - your post has finally given me hope again lol

Last edited:
Happy to hear. I’m an OTS July 2018 applicant and I also had my tier 2 appointment in November 2019 (on the 12th). I’m hoping that means I’m coming up!!

Unfortunately in February of 2019 I broke my collarbone the week before my medical exam. The doctor made note of it and apparently I wasn’t allowed to move forward in the hiring process until I was healed. The FAA hiring team didn’t tell me that though. In August they finally contacted me asking when I’d be done healing and I told them I was done back in April. Then they finally passed my files along to the next department.

anyways sorry for rambling - your post has finally given me hope again lol

Agreed. I really hate how excited I get when news like this comes out. Especially with evals in the same month and such.

I failed the MMPI-2 on my December 2018 bid. I was told I was tier 2 in March 2019. I never got to do my tier-2 eval because I was held up because of multiple traffic tickets I got in the past & a three month suspension because of the traffic violations, I think six in total. They DQ’d me.. I appealed, I never heard anything back. A month later I got a letter saying they wanted to take away my medical and I needed to provide a full work up addressing the tickets from a psych. So I did. The psych said there was no evidence of any disorder or personality disorder. I had to retake the MMPI-2 and a whole bunch of other tests. So when the RFS got it he cleared me to keep my current medical and to continue flying. A few days later I got a email from RDC saying the RFS rescinded her DQ and I’ve been put back into processing for tier-2. So now I’m just waiting like all you good people to get contacted for a appointment. I asked RDC since I retook the MMPI-2 with the psych and she said in her report that my MMPI-2 scores were normal maybe HQ would accept that instead of making me do it all over again. He said maybe they’ll accept them but it’s their decision. I’m hoping they do because then all I’ll have to do is a drug test refresh and I’ll get my list and be done with all this nonsense I put myself through.

I failed the MMPI-2 on my December 2018 bid. I was told I was tier 2 in March 2019. I never got to do my tier-2 eval because I was held up because of multiple traffic tickets I got in the past & a three month suspension because of the traffic violations, I think six in total. They DQ’d me.. I appealed, I never heard anything back. A month later I got a letter saying they wanted to take away my medical and I needed to provide a full work up addressing the tickets from a psych. So I did. The psych said there was no evidence of any disorder or personality disorder. I had to retake the MMPI-2 and a whole bunch of other tests. So when the RFS got it he cleared me to keep my current medical and to continue flying. A few days later I got a email from RDC saying the RFS rescinded her DQ and I’ve been put back into processing for tier-2. So now I’m just waiting like all you good people to get contacted for a appointment. I asked RDC since I retook the MMPI-2 with the psych and she said in her report that my MMPI-2 scores were normal maybe HQ would accept that instead of making me do it all over again. He said maybe they’ll accept them but it’s their decision. I’m hoping they do because then all I’ll have to do is a drug test refresh and I’ll get my list and be done with all this nonsense I put myself through.

Congrats man! Been reading your posts lately looking at timetables. Was gonna reach out to you and see if your appeal got accepted. Glad you're back in it.

Emailed RDC and he said I should get my tier 2 results soon (based off how they mark stuff in their systems).

Even then seems like academy dates are full until June.

Congrats man! Been reading your posts lately looking at timetables. Was gonna reach out to you and see if your appeal got accepted. Glad you're back in it.

Emailed RDC and he said I should get my tier 2 results soon (based off how they mark stuff in their systems).

Even then seems like academy dates are full until June.
Thanks man, unfortunately it ain’t over yet for me I doubt they’ll accept the MMPI-2 I already did with the psych. (Even though it’ll be a smart move for them because I paid for that appointment and they wouldn’t have to pay for another one because she said I scored fine and it’ll be one person less they have to deal with) now I feel like I’ve been put at the bottom of the rotation even though I’ve been waiting since March of 2019. But whatever I’m grateful they didn’t take away my medical and I get to keep my contract job and fly. Who knows though maybe I’ll get a sliver of luck and they’ll accept those MMPI-2 scores I got when I went to see the psych. Congrats man I really hope you get cleared in quick all of you guys in here Goodluck. If they’re full they’re full atleast you’re in is the way I see it.

Thanks man, unfortunately it ain’t over yet for me I doubt they’ll accept the MMPI-2 I already did with the psych. (Even though it’ll be a smart move for them because I paid for that appointment and they wouldn’t have to pay for another one because she said I scored fine and it’ll be one person less they have to deal with) now I feel like I’ve been put at the bottom of the rotation even though I’ve been waiting since March of 2019. But whatever I’m grateful they didn’t take away my medical and I get to keep my contract job and fly. Who knows though maybe I’ll get a sliver of luck and they’ll accept those MMPI-2 scores I got when I went to see the psych. Congrats man I really hope you get cleared in quick all of you guys in here Goodluck. If they’re full they’re full atleast you’re in is the way I see it.

Well not to be too optimistic. You retake the MMPI at the evaluation anyway. Usually there's some other tests as well. However, if you already did the test you'd do anyway with a similar eval, why bother? I mean it's the government so it doesn't matter really to them. But it would be better to just approve you to not have to do it a 3rd time.

We'll see what happens. A June date would probably be for the best anyhow given my situation. Wouldn't be upset if I had to wait until then.

Well not to be too optimistic. You retake the MMPI at the evaluation anyway. Usually there's some other tests as well. However, if you already did the test you'd do anyway with a similar eval, why bother? I mean it's the government so it doesn't matter really to them. But it would be better to just approve you to not have to do it a 3rd time.

We'll see what happens. A June date would probably be for the best anyhow given my situation. Wouldn't be upset if I had to wait until then.
I retook the MMPI-2 along with a whole bunch of other tests and scored normally. But we shall see I don’t expect news anytime soon.

do you have any controller experience?

I retook the MMPI-2 along with a whole bunch of other tests and scored normally. But we shall see I don’t expect news anytime soon.

do you have any controller experience?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go your way. Sounds like you pretty much already did the eval they would want.

Nah. I did my CTI but I don't remember a single thing from it.

If you fail your Tier 2 does anyone know if they tell you that you failed? Or does your medical status just sit in limbo as “waiting to be cleared” every time you call

My psychologist only had me meet for like an hour or two and said I don’t need any more appointments, so I don’t think I failed - but he did do something oddly inappropriate that worried me. I also just like to keep track of where I’m at in the hiring process

Last edited:
If you fail your Tier 2 does anyone know if they tell you that you failed? Or does your medical status just sit in limbo as “waiting to be cleared” every time you call

My psychologist only had me meet for like an hour or two and said I don’t need any more appointments, so I don’t think I failed - I just like to keep track of where I’m at in the hiring process

When did you do your eval? They notify you if you've failed or require further testing (yes, you could require further testing even after all of this).

Hmmm I dunno. I did mine in November of 2019 as well. I know a few others who did too and got their results back. Some from December too actually.

Not sure.
Yea everyone has different timelines so im not too worried but my psychologist did some pretty unprofessional things so I’m afraid it might be delayed in some way because of him.

I wish I knew what email I could write to to see if my tier 2 documents are at least moving along - because RDC says he’s waiting on HQ so he can’t help much and my HR POC said she has no involvement with medical so she doesn’t know any info either.

Yea everyone has different timelines so im not too worried but my psychologist did some pretty unprofessional things so I’m afraid it might be delayed in some way because of him.

I wish I knew what email I could write to to see if my tier 2 documents are at least moving along - because RDC says he’s waiting on HQ so he can’t help much and my HR POC said she has no involvement with medical so she doesn’t know any info either.

I would email the person who located the psych and told you to set it all up.

I would email the person who located the psych and told you to set it all up.
That’s Hope. She doesn’t respond unless absolutely necessary so I know I won’t get a response from her.

She gave me my psychologists phone number to schedule an appointment. Told me I had 7 calendar days to schedule it and notify her the date. She also made it clear that multiple phone calls aren’t necessary and that the dr will return my call at my earliest convenience.

I called him same day I got the email and left a message. No response. On the 5th day I emailed hope and basically said “He hasn’t called me back and my 7 days are almost up.” She didn’t respond. Then on the 7th day I called again and he still didn’t answer. He ended up calling me back later that evening thankfully. Said he’d been meaning to call me back.

A bit of a ramble, but in an email she also said “Requests for status updates or time frames will not be returned in an effort to process the maximum number of cases.”

either way, I’ll somehow try and figure it out

That’s Hope. She doesn’t respond unless absolutely necessary so I know I won’t get a response from her.

She gave me my psychologists phone number to schedule an appointment. Told me I had 7 calendar days to schedule it and notify her the date. She also made it clear that multiple phone calls aren’t necessary and that the dr will return my call at my earliest convenience.

I called him same day I got the email and left a message. No response. On the 5th day I emailed hope and basically said “He hasn’t called me back and my 7 days are almost up.” She didn’t respond. Then on the 7th day I called again and he still didn’t answer. He ended up calling me back later that evening thankfully. Said he’d been meaning to call me back.

A bit of a ramble, but in an email she also said “Requests for status updates or time frames will not be returned in an effort to process the maximum number of cases.”

either way, I’ll somehow try and figure it out

I'm aware of all of this as I've been through it myself. I would email RDC with the concerns and ask him if he can help ensure it gets to the right place.

Back
Top Bottom