Moving Assistance

GulfBravoPapa

⭐SuperStar
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding any sort of moving assistance? You would think that with as often as people in the aviation industry move there would be something out there to help.

What I have found so far:

Through Natca - 20% of Budget Truck Rentals
Through Union Plus - Preferred moving discounts with Allied Van Lines and North American Van Lines

Still getting some quotes through those two companies to see what the discount actually is... but just wondering if anyone else knows of anything.

Haven't heard of anything, but following this thread since I'll be moving a couple of states away myself in the next 6 months.

Following. Moving a few states away in 7 months. Currently leaning toward PODS for the convenience and the fact that I may need it to be stored for a few weeks or a month. Crazy expensive though.

If you're looking at PODS, look at U-Pack. I did two cross country moves using one relocube the first move and two relocubes the second time. It's a very similar product, much cheaper, and includes 30-days of storage in the initial price. I don't have any experience using their trailer space but I was more than pleased with their relocubes.

Not a normal route but anytime I’ve moved, I’ve utilized Penske Truck. I normally get a regular quote online and then chat with the reps, and typically I’ve gotten a great deal around 30-40% lower than the quote. I recently booked a truck from NY to UT, quote was $1300 originally and chat got me to $800.

Edit: if Pods doesn’t give you a good rate you can look into PackRat or ZippyShell (same parent company but different cost algorithms).

If you're looking at PODS, look at U-Pack. I did two cross country moves using one relocube the first move and two relocubes the second time. It's a very similar product, much cheaper, and includes 30-days of storage in the initial price. I don't have any experience using their trailer space but I was more than pleased with their relocubes.

Just did a 2500 mile move, west coast to east with ABF / Upack. I used every bit of the 28 foot trailer. Wasn't bad, they dropped of the trailer and were flexible with drop off and pick up times. Everything arrived at the new house in great shape and the few things that got damaged was due to my lazy packing. They offer storage and again they are really flexible and easy to work with.

All in all I think it was about 3k for everything. I just packed up, loaded the trailer with help from friends with the big stuff like furniture. 3000sq ft house worth of shit. Once I was done they picked it up and all I had to do was throw the kids in my POV and drive cross country.

If I ever have to move again it will probably be like that because let's face it we'd all like to sit back and just let someone else handle it but my professional moving quote was 10-12k... That's absurd.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding any sort of moving assistance? You would think that with as often as people in the aviation industry move there would be something out there to help.

What I have found so far:

Through Natca - 20% of Budget Truck Rentals
Through Union Plus - Preferred moving discounts with Allied Van Lines and North American Van Lines

Still getting some quotes through those two companies to see what the discount actually is... but just wondering if anyone else knows of anything.
Not anymore. There used to be all sorts of FAA programs for employees moving around.

I've gone with Penske the 2 times I've moved and both times the price was better than the NATCA Budget discount. Whichever route you go, Google "coupons for XXXXX". On a side note it sucks that you can no longer deduct moving expenses.

Not anymore. There used to be all sorts of FAA programs for employees moving around.

Is there a reason why they don’t exist anymore? I would think that NATCA would have tried to negotiate some sort of moving compensation at least for new hires who have to move cross country. Don’t get me wrong, the benefits of this job are fantastic but I’m just wondering why the FAA doesn’t offer any relocation expenses especially when so many private companies out there do.

Is there a reason why they don’t exist anymore? I would think that NATCA would have tried to negotiate some sort of moving compensation at least for new hires who have to move cross country. Don’t get me wrong, the benefits of this job are fantastic but I’m just wondering why the FAA doesn’t offer any relocation expenses especially when so many private companies out there do.
Probably because the agency believes that unpaid moves are to the benefit of the employee and not the agency; therefore, no move assistance.

Enjoy the pension you almost never see in the private world and pay for your own move. You get plenty of per diem to save some, at least I did while I was there.

Also, you can’t join the union until you report to the facility correct? So you aren’t BUEs yet for them to put in all the time and effort.

Enjoy the pension you almost never see in the private world and pay for your own move. You get plenty of per diem to save some, at least I did while I was there.

Also, you can’t join the union until you report to the facility correct? So you aren’t BUEs yet for them to put in all the time and effort.
The OP is moving due to ERR.

New hires should get move money. They report to the academy and have no idea where they will be relocated to. It's kinda messed up they don't.

I had savings before I left for the academy, and did everything I could to save per diem while there. Then used basically all of it for the Uhaul, finding a place, etc. ¯\(ツ)

There's still relocation expenses that are paid (both in flat sums of 10k to 27k, and full reimbursement for some locations.)
Flat rate will usually be seen on management positions and region/hq/academy positions. I've only seen full reimbursement for Guam, but there may be others. It'd be an advantage if someone is willing to move around fairly often.
FAA used to help with selling your house, and if it wasn't sold they'd pay market value for it.

Move money would be nice, but it’s time to adult. Everyone should know how it works by now and prepare accordingly. Yes the private sector will pay money to move the person for the right job. But you are one of 30k applicants that are ready to fill your shoes.

Imagine how much money would be wasted on moving people around who end up washing out?

I know how to adult just fine thanks. I knew exactly what I was getting into coming into this field, pension, benefits, and all with no relocation assistance. I wasn't trying to complain, I was just asking an honest question if anyone knows why the FAA doesn't offer move money or any other sort of relocation assistance like the programs that Stinger mentioned. One can only assume that with an agency as big as the FAA and with all the benefits that are offered, that some form of relocation assistance would exist, whether through direct compensation or through some sort of program.

And you're right that academy students aren't BUEs, but NATCA has negotiated for academy students to get travel days from the academy to their facility separate from COS. According to NATCA reps, travel days from the academy didn't exist before and students were forced to use their COS. If they negotiated that, I'm just curious to know if they tried negotiating relocation reimbursement or not.

And you're right that academy students aren't BUEs, but NATCA has negotiated for academy students to get travel days from the academy to their facility separate from COS. According to NATCA reps, travel days from the academy didn't exist before and students were forced to use their COS. If they negotiated that, I'm just curious to know if they tried negotiating relocation reimbursement or not.

It probably just comes down to negotiating power, honestly. Currently the pay at the academy is something like $11.50/hr and there's no move money, and people are still banging down the door to get there. I suspect they could cut the per-diem in half, move the academy to Saskatchewan, and require you to submit to daily floggings, and they'd still have a surplus of candidates applying for the jobs. And yes, you can argue that better benefits will attract better candidates, but until they come up with a much more accurate screener for determining potential job success, there's no real way to quantify that unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom