New York Times names Controller involved with AUS FedEx/Southwest Incident

There were three companies selected to provide similar Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) solutions under the Surface Awareness Initiative (SAI). They are: Indra Air Traffic Inc., SAAB, Inc., and uAvionix. Under the SAI, the FAA selected 45 sites for installation with the first five sites prioritized for install before July 1, 2024.

Below is from the contract documents as it relates to the sites, site selection and site priority:

Attachment A

Initial Airport Site Listing

The first five airports have been prioritized to receive a SAI solution, however, the FAA reserves the right to revise the priority, as needed. The FAA will identify a site priority listing of the remaining 40 sites as a future activity.

View attachment 9617
Do we have any idea what the requirements are for these airports to receive some sort of ground radar system? I'd say my facility has at least a month on average, maybe even close to 2, of dense fog where you're basically working blind in the tower & sometimes in addition to snow ops. Literally can't see a single thing from up there for over a week straight. It's just crazy to me that we're not even listed on there

Do we have any idea what the requirements are for these airports to receive some sort of ground radar system? I'd say my facility has at least a month on average, maybe even close to 2, of dense fog where you're basically working blind in the tower & sometimes in addition to snow ops. Literally can't see a single thing from up there for over a week straight. It's just crazy to me that we're not even listed on there
Are you class C? Looks like it’s all the class Cs that don’t have with a few bigger Ds

On another note, WTF is going on with Austin's radar feed that they can't see someone once they dip below 800' AGL on approach to the primary airport? That's a 2.5-mile final. That's unacceptable.
How does one provide radar separation between arrival/departures when you don't have radar coverage?

What happened with SBN?
SBN was his previous facility. The controller faked a hate crime at work there to try and force the faa to approve his hardship transfer after it was denied over and over. Backdoor deals between the faa and natca were then struck after this fake hate crime to get him out. Then he went to AUS and almost killed people, just like anyone who ever worked with him said he would.

Last edited:
That animation is sobering man. Jesus. And I agree... this was all done under the ASSUMPTION that "SWA typically rolls fast" during a time where nothing could be verified visually from the tower.

Bottom line, ATC left his job of keeping aircraft separated to the FDX pilots and to God. And for what benefit?? The next arrival wasn't even on radar. Fucking insane. Somebody needs to spank that boy.
Don’t worry, they spanked him real good, he’s working traffic again.

Where did that list come from?
The list came from the SAI contract's Statement of Work (SOW), Attachment J2 (Strategic Plan).

The FAA identified 230 Towers without ASDE/ASSC and prioritized the first 45 of those Towers. Not sure what NATCA's role was in ranking the Towers in the priority list.

I think it's funny that uAvionics is part of this. Their ADS-B transmitters are junk.
Junk in what way? They had a bad batch early I think, but after sending them the PAPR report, they sent a replacement unit. The replacements for everyone I don't know of any issues.

The list came from the SAI contract's Statement of Work (SOW), Attachment J2 (Strategic Plan).

The FAA identified 230 Towers without ASDE/ASSC and prioritized the first 45 of those Towers. Not sure what NATCA's role was in ranking the Towers in the priority list.
It's the airports that bring in more money/passengers than the other 195 airports... and um...money.

Do you have a link to the document/where to find it? I’ve been trying to look and haven’t had luck.

Is it though?

Definitely, but it wouldn't be 2 increasing to 3 miles. It seems like they shouldn't be using a radar rule if they can't maintain radar contact.
it is.

it starts as non-radar until radar is established. non-radar is based on time. that is why you have note1 in the rule advising when the separation begins. ie not when you clear the aircraft for take-off, not when the aircraft takes the runway, but rather "This separation is determined at the time the departing aircraft commences takeoff roll."

if you can't see the aircraft, have him report - ie "cleared for takeoff, report departure roll" or something.

using your CTRD/DBRITE, you know where the aircraft on final is. if you don't have a rolling call from the runway aircraft and the approach aircraft is going to loose the minimum of 2 miles- that is a LOSS.

start with a go-around, at least, and work it out from there.

Back
Top Bottom