-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

Looking for info on this airport

Complexity: traffic load/volume, military?
Training: washout rate,
Morale: relationship with management etc.
Hours: shifts, overtime etc.

General area, issues and benefits of living there

Looking for info on this airport

Complexity: traffic load/volume, military?
Training: washout rate,
Morale: relationship with management etc.
Hours: shifts, overtime etc.

General area, issues and benefits of living there
Complexity: don't expect a whole lot going on in the tower, just a glance at traffic numbers seems like it's something to do but not very busy for long periods of time. Radar will be the real test for people moving up, quite a few satellite towered airports in close proximity, and the military fields around mean you'll no doubt be working practice approaches....however NTU has their own approach, Oceana, so that will relieve some of the workload. Here's the traffic count numbers for an idea if you want to compare it to other facilities. Air Traffic Activity System (ATADS)

Training: There's a training document for every facility in the FAA that gives percentages. Training Success Rates

Morale: Not really important....go to work and do your job without causing issues for management or the other controllers and everyone will like you.

Hours: 24 hour facility, a few people short for staffing but not outrageous and it's looking better for the future.

I don't work there and have never been there, so that's just me looking at the airspace and numbers to see what's going on.

Complexity: don't expect a whole lot going on in the tower, just a glance at traffic numbers seems like it's something to do but not very busy for long periods of time. Radar will be the real test for people moving up, quite a few satellite towered airports in close proximity, and the military fields around mean you'll no doubt be working practice approaches....however NTU has their own approach, Oceana, so that will relieve some of the workload. Here's the traffic count numbers for an idea if you want to compare it to other facilities. Air Traffic Activity System (ATADS)

Training: There's a training document for every facility in the FAA that gives percentages. Training Success Rates

Morale: Not really important....go to work and do your job without causing issues for management or the other controllers and everyone will like you.

Hours: 24 hour facility, a few people short for staffing but not outrageous and it's looking better for the future.

I don't work there and have never been there, so that's just me looking at the airspace and numbers to see what's going on.
Complexity is actually pretty decent with all the coordination between airspaces, with NTU, NGU, FACSFAC and Langley all right there. I believe they also run the approach for PHF which has some commercial traffic. I want to say they almost go down to Elizabeth City on the NC side but don’t quote me on it.

The area overall isn’t too bad. Lots of military obviously but there’s a decent amount of restaurants and shopping as well as minor league hockey and baseball. Traffic on the freeways is kind of shitty, but there’s worse places out there. If it were me I’d live in Va beach or Chesapeake, since Norfolk and Portsmouth are both kind of on the shittier side.

I want to say they almost go down to Elizabeth City on the NC side but don’t quote me on it.
Correct, Elizabeth City is within their airspace, or at least ORF is listed as the app/dep facility for the airport information. Franklin FKN is their westernmost airport, and Camp Peary W94 would be their most northern airport.

Does anyone know why the success rate is so low here?

I used to live in the area and visited the facility frequently. All the controllers I ever sat with there all made the facility seem pretty simple. I know there's a lot of military stuff, but is it management or some other outside factor the reason for the low success?

Any insight is appreciated

I could point you to a former controller there if you want

Any new info on this facility/low success rate? Does about double the ops of my current facility, but considering it for an eventual move up if that’s ever a possibility.

Any new info on this facility/low success rate? Does about double the ops of my current facility, but considering it for an eventual move up if that’s ever a possibility.
There are 3 airports within like 10 miles where the finals intersect, so you’re sequencing to all 3 at once. The training is really messed up with old heads not wanting to change anything and the mix of a lot of fighter with dead slow acft make it really difficult. I visited and had a few class there.

There are 3 airports within like 10 miles where the finals intersect, so you’re sequencing to all 3 at once. The training is really messed up with old heads not wanting to change anything and the mix of a lot of fighter with dead slow acft make it really difficult. I visited and had a few class there.
That’s what I’ve seen from their SOP and stuff (the closeness of the fields). I have a friend wanting me to move that way, but wasn’t too keen on the low success. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom