Paid Parental Leave

That is correct. Holiday leave trumps ppl. But if you requested fmla on that holiday, you get charged fmla. If your facility is well versed on this, they won’t let you use those 32 hours. They will still be listed on your pay stub as a balance but you can’t use them. Now if your facility doesn’t know exactly how it’s supposed to work(my last facility was like this), then they will let you use it.
Ah, so that’s the catch. Request PPL up to that Holiday, and then again after it, but now it’s “intermittent” PPL use, and subject to approval. Hopefully most peoples’ facilities are like mine, and aren’t well versed on all of this… I did get to use the 32 hours of PPL later on when I realized I had them.

Ah, so that’s the catch. Request PPL up to that Holiday, and then again after it, but now it’s “intermittent” PPL use, and subject to approval. Hopefully most peoples’ facilities are like mine, and aren’t well versed on all of this… I did get to use the 32 hours of PPL later on when I realized I had them.
Why would it matter if it’s intermittent? When you read the fmla law, it says it shall be approved. It doesn’t matter when or how you take it. We have people save a few days to get thanksgiving and Christmas off. If your facility told you that, they were wrong. Always do your own research and read the laws.

Why would it matter if it’s intermittent? When you read the fmla law, it says it shall be approved. It doesn’t matter when or how you take it. We have people save a few days to get thanksgiving and Christmas off. If your facility told you that, they were wrong. Always do your own research and read the laws.
I honestly can’t remember exactly where/why the intermittent thing came up in question, but I’m guessing it was because of the attached? I know I was told at the time (3 years ago), by multiple people, that if I used it intermittently, it was subject to approval each time, and based on our staffing levels at that time, there was no way my ATM was going to approve it. So I didn’t want to risk it, and just used all 12 weeks at once.

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 31
I honestly can’t remember exactly where/why the intermittent thing came up in question, but I’m guessing it was because of the attached? I know I was told at the time (3 years ago), by multiple people, that if I used it intermittently, it was subject to approval each time, and based on our staffing levels at that time, there was no way my ATM was going to approve it. So I didn’t want to risk it, and just used all 12 weeks at once.
You are under fmla anyways, so no matter what, you can get a day off. Not letting you substitute ppl for leave you can already get approved is asinine. Management powertripping themselves into a grievance.

I don’t think they have to approve intermittent.
I’ve heard of the “take the FMLA altogether or lose it” which seems to be a misconception. One can’t lose those hours.

I don’t like to use the word “entitlement” but FMLA is an entitlement by law.

Intermittent/reduced work schedule is spelled out in the FMLA manual also, which gives one the option to take it, but it depends on staffing.

Edit: “take PPL all at once or lose it”

Last edited:
I’ve heard of the “take the FMLA altogether or lose it” which seems to be a misconception. One can’t lose those hours.

Intermittent/reduced work schedule is spelled out in the FMLA manual also, which gives one the option to take it, but it depends on staffing.
Yes this is fmla ...but there's also a ppl for feds
As the the inquirer answered i was looking for extra guidance found some from some other union. The natca link I found was broken

Attachments

• pfl-booklet_march10-2021.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
Did you guys that used PPL intermittently have to fill out FMLA paperwork? Last time I didn’t but I used the 12 weeks all at once.

Did you guys that used PPL intermittently have to fill out FMLA paperwork? Last time I didn’t but I used the 12 weeks all at once.
Only if you’re planning on using FMLA. Currently on PPL with intermittent usage approved. Just discussed with and agreed to my usage of PPL in writing with my OM before the baby got here.

Get the FMLA paperwork online, fill it out and take that to your wife’s OBGYN to sign. Make copies then bring that to work (give them a 2-3 months heads up when your baby will be born).

I went to HR and asked for the PPL paperwork and HR even mentioned the intermittent section, (there’s a checkbox for it) encouraging it. I talked to my sup and he asked me to make a calendar on what days I planned to take off during the week for x amount of months until my hours ran out.

I made said calendar and submitted the whole package, including the manual on FMLA per HR (highlighted sections such as intermittent, etc).

PPL gets coded as PB1. I may have saved the files somewhere on the PC.

Some OMs were against it, but at the end of the day it’s up to the ATM.

I thought FMLA paperwork was required regardless before requesting PPL because you can take 2 weeks off (of annual leave, sick leave - or more) to take care of your wife and use annual leave before starting PPL.

Someone with experience chime in.

Get the FMLA paperwork online, fill it out and take that to your wife’s OBGYN to sign. Make copies then bring that to work (give them a 2-3 months heads up when your baby will be born).

I went to HR and asked for the PPL paperwork and HR even mentioned the intermittent section, (there’s a checkbox for it) encouraging it. I talked to my sup and he asked me to make a calendar on what days I planned to take off during the week for x amount of months until my hours ran out.

I made said calendar and submitted the whole package, including the manual on FMLA per HR (highlighted sections such as intermittent, etc).

PPL gets coded as PB1. I may have saved the files somewhere on the PC.

Some OMs were against it, but at the end of the day it’s up to the ATM.

I thought FMLA paperwork was required regardless before requesting PPL because you can take 2 weeks off (of annual leave, sick leave - or more) to take care of your wife and use annual leave before starting PPL.

Someone with experience chime in.
If you take two weeks off prior to the birth of the baby it will count against your 12 weeks of fmla you get. Effectively then you will lose ppl for two weeks and have two weeks less of sick/annual.

The whole calendar thing is more of a request on their end. They cannot force it. You can call in the night before or that same day and it will be approved. I usually did it just a week out and there were very rough days with no sleep where I had to call in the night before.

Edit: “take PPL all at once or lose it”
Right so they could theoretically say that we don’t have the staffing for intermittent. They approve to to keep currency usually cus if not you’ll have to train. But I’m not sure about if you want to do something really goofy like work 3 days a week for a year

This is exactly what your facrep is for
Right so they could theoretically say that we don’t have the staffing for intermittent. They approve to to keep currency usually cus if not you’ll have to train. But I’m not sure about if you want to do something really goofy like work 3 days a week for a year
anything is possible, depends how good your rep is i guess.

Working 2 days a week with being off on holidays only extended PPL for 5 months.

Article 30 of the slate book allows you to use annual,sick, credit leave for prenatal care. However once you invoke your article 30 rights you can’t use YOUR accumulated leave once you return. So ultrasounds, dr appointments etc. you have to use sick leave to get off or miraculously get spot leave. If you want to take a week before the due date to get the nursery ready and be on standby you can invoke the article 30 privileges and begin your baby leave then and convert to PPL the day the baby’s born. The article 30 privileges are not part of the 12 weeks of FMLA guidelines and do not affect PPL usage. Holidays are what can get tricky since you would be in FMLA status but you essentially need to turn in the leave on the holiday and then bang out to preserve the PPL day.

Last edited:
Article 30 of the slate book allows you to use annual,sick, credit leave for prenatal care. However once you invoke your article 30 rights you can’t use YOUR accumulated leave once you return. So ultrasounds, dr appointments etc. you have to use sick leave to get off or miraculously get spot leave. If you want to take a week before the due date to get the nursery ready and be on standby you can invoke the article 30 privileges and begin your baby leave then and convert to PPL the day the baby’s born. The article 30 privileges are not part of the 12 weeks of FMLA guidelines and do not affect PPL usage. Holidays are what can get tricky since you would be in FMLA status but you essentially need to turn in the leave on the holiday and then bang out to preserve the PPL day.
So the best thing to do if you are kinda tight and wife works.

Bid aws of Monday Tuesday Friday off

PPL Wednesday Thursday

Work ot and holidays and have wife take ppl on those days

1. If I have my kid 3 months before I start the FAA, am I eligible for the PPL after 12 months in service?
2. If I have my kid when I join the FAA but I don’t meet the 12 month requirement, how will I be able to work around it and help my family? Will I be able to take that leave once I meet the 12 months or can I take that in advanced?
Thanks.

1. If I have my kid 3 months before I start the FAA, am I eligible for the PPL after 12 months in service?
2. If I have my kid when I join the FAA but I don’t meet the 12 month requirement, how will I be able to work around it and help my family? Will I be able to take that leave once I meet the 12 months or can I take that in advanced?
Thanks.
No you can only take it in the first 12 months of their life

Back
Top Bottom