PCT

Does that mean you don't work Friday through Sunday?
Yes, but I just used that schedule as an example. If your days off are Wednesday Thursday for example you would finish up Tuesday morning at 6 am and not be back until Friday at 3 pm.

Gotcha.

Follow up question: do facilities typically adjust individual scheduling based on family? From what I'm seeing from your schedule, you work mornings on most shifts. Is it contingent upon the seniority factor I hear of, where the more tenured get the more favored schedules? Or is that even a thing?

Gotcha.

Follow up question: do facilities typically adjust individual scheduling based on family? From what I'm seeing from your schedule, you work mornings on most shifts. Is it contingent upon the seniority factor I hear of, where the more tenured get the more favored schedules? Or is that even a thing?
Lol at based on family. Most big facilities work a compressed rattler schedule it's 5 on 2 off - night night day day mid. Sometimes it's night night day day day or some variation.

Gotcha.

No. Most facilities do not adjust your schedule based in family. Schedules (days off, mid shifts, leave, etc are bid based on seniority. A majority of controllers work night, night, day, day, day

You can try and swap shifts with coworkers or request a shift change to get whatever schedule you want, but shift changes can be denied based on staffing. Also as a trainee you really need to stay close to your training team.

Hoping to get there.
It’s a bit of a country club. Mostly a good place to work without massive drama.
Level 12 without always being 12, but in 3/4 areas be prepared to be able to bring the heat.
Training times vary between the areas. Don’t expect much control over which area you get assigned though.
We have a bunch inbound but some retirements, a few outbound and a few going supe.

It’s a bit of a country club. Mostly a good place to work without massive drama.
Level 12 without always being 12, but in 3/4 areas be prepared to be able to bring the heat.
Training times vary between the areas. Don’t expect much control over which area you get assigned though.
We have a bunch inbound but some retirements, a few outbound and a few going supe.
Awesome thank you. Not being intimately familiar with the airspace/sectors, what's the traffic flow like? Do certain sectors work more of a dedicated Final and other's mostly satellite airports?

Awesome thank you. Not being intimately familiar with the airspace/sectors, what's the traffic flow like? Do certain sectors work more of a dedicated Final and other's mostly satellite airports?
The three majors have an area:
BWI and the surrounding area is Chesapeake (CHP)
IAD is the Shenandoah area (SHD)
DCA is the Mount Vernon area(MTV)
And then there’s James River… (JRV) which is RIC. In their defense they work a lot of satellite traffic though ?

MTV CHP and SHD work their own arrivals and departures but the airspace is so layered that some areas work each other’s stuff. For example, CHP and SHD feed departures to MTV to be blended with theirs and fed to the center.
SHD has a lot of capped airspace because arrivals to CHP and MTV go over the top.

It’s not the traffic that will get you but the airspace, procedures and congestion.

the special flight rules airspace (SFRA) is another complicated procedure you won’t really see anywhere else.

The three majors have an area:
BWI and the surrounding area is Chesapeake (CHP)
IAD is the Shenandoah area (SHD)
DCA is the Mount Vernon area(MTV)
And then there’s James River… (JRV) which is RIC. In their defense they work a lot of satellite traffic though ?

MTV CHP and SHD work their own arrivals and departures but the airspace is so layered that some areas work each other’s stuff. For example, CHP and SHD feed departures to MTV to be blended with theirs and fed to the center.
SHD has a lot of capped airspace because arrivals to CHP and MTV go over the top.

It’s not the traffic that will get you but the airspace, procedures and congestion.

the special flight rules airspace (SFRA) is another complicated procedure you won’t really see anywhere else.
Haha satellites.. great.
I really appreciate the breakdown though. How does that DC SFRA compare to the Hudson SFRA, more positive control?

Back
Top Bottom