Pre-OKC Study

awilks01

Hello! Currently in BASICs for Enroute. Do any of you recommend starting study early on the non-radar map? I've looked at it a few times but I find myself frankly stressing about it and neglecting some study for BASICs in lieu of the map.

Any study tips for map learning/memorization? Look forward to any and all tips.

Thanks!

There's no right or wrong way to memorize the map, but the easiest way is to break it down into sections or elements. I think I did something like this:

1. Sectors/MOAs/Approach areas
2. Airports/VORs/intersections
3. Radials
4. J & V routes
5. Diamond mileage
6. Everything else (MEAs, MOCAs, MRAs, etc)

Last edited:
The map did recently change, I believe we're the 5th or 6th class to start using it. If you'd like the updated version, feel free to PM and I'll email you the file they give us. But they give you a lot of time to memorize it, there's even scheduled time during the day to go over it. No need to look at it early.

As far as tips, it's as Miner mentioned. The hardest part that it seems people have are the route mileages (distance between MHZ and BARNE for example) and radials. Just need to come up with a way that works for you.

Edit: Attached the map here.

Attachments

• SH00-ZAE Nonradar Map.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:
The map did recently change, I believe we're the 5th or 6th class to start using it. If you'd like the updated version, feel free to PM and I'll email you the file they give us. But they give you a lot of time to memorize it, there's even scheduled time during the day to go over it. No need to look at it early.

As far as tips, it's as Miner mentioned. The hardest part that it seems people have are the route mileages (distance between MHZ and BARNE for example) and radials. Just need to come up with a way that works for you.

Edit: Attached the map here.
I thought they were getting rid of the alternate airways. It’s nice to see it’s basically the same minus some fix names and Meridian 2.

Back
Top Bottom