Privatisation and the Shutdown... Has your stance changed?

Lol. I said that even if many years down the line ATC privatizes, I dont think N90 will privatize. Which is exactly what this thread is about. As to why that is obvious, they have never been treated like the other 315 facilities in the past, why would it start under the privatization hypothetical?

This shutdown hasn't changed my stance. Look how powerless controllers are now? Imagine if we didnt have all the fed protections to fall back on. Heads would be rolling. People who dared dissent (me) and challenge sacred cows and status quos would be gone; right alongside our retirement.

You should post here what you PM'd me.

Now I’m curious

Well. I am at least glad you and other N90 peeps are on here. Not just from pushingtin but I am tired of the overwhelming bashing directed towards N90 from others. Somehow the past has created the situation N90 is in. But it appears there is something being done about it which myself and others are happy to be part of. Sorry I contributed to this thread getting off track.

N90 would not escape privitization if it happened.

Hell No. Just as against privatization now as I was this time last year. And the year before. I fail to see any advantages privatizing us would create. All it would do is add more bureaucracy, but rather than dealing with the Agency directly, you must deal with a BoD, which in many ways would be worse. What NATCA needs to start pushing is separating the AATF from the rest of the budget. That would be an easier feat to accomplish than completely breaking us out of the government.

I just can’t believe these people who say they can’t imagine any advantages privatization would bring or that it is impossible and a price bureaucracy would be worse. Must not have even listened to any of the arguments for it or read the bill for it (which NATCA basically wrote and was so pro-labor that’s why it was not moved forward). Under that bill the worst that could ever have happen is that we would have broke even. Next time do more research and if you object that’s fine, just give reasons that make sense and are based in reality.

I just can’t believe these people who say they can’t imagine any advantages privatization would bring or that it is impossible and a price bureaucracy would be worse. Must not have even listened to any of the arguments for it or read the bill for it (which NATCA basically wrote and was so pro-labor that’s why it was not moved forward). Under that bill the worst that could ever have happen is that we would have broke even. Next time do more research and if you object that’s fine, just give reasons that make sense and are based in reality.

I read the bill in its entirety. Airline dominated board was the most concerning issue for me.

I read the bill as well. It left way more questions than it answered. No f---ing way am I going to let the airlines tell me how to do my job. What was most concerning to me was the fact that the "ATC Corporation" had the ability to close or consolidate facilities as they see fit. For us low-level controllers, that becomes very concerning. Now one could make the argument that the FAA has that ability as well, but at least right now there is an entire process that they must follow to do this. I saw no such provision in the text of the bill. Privatization will make our troubles much worse than they are now.

I read the bill as well. It left way more questions than it answered. No f---ing way am I going to let the airlines tell me how to do my job. What was most concerning to me was the fact that the "ATC Corporation" had the ability to close or consolidate facilities as they see fit. For us low-level controllers, that becomes very concerning. Now one could make the argument that the FAA has that ability as well, but at least right now there is an entire process that they must follow to do this. I saw no such provision in the text of the bill. Privatization will make our troubles much worse than they are now.

About to pass out our the quick turn tomorrow, but this 100%.

It has been said that a private ATC corporation would look similar to the USPS.

The USPS wanted to get out of Saturday Delivery. Not only are they still delivering on Saturdays but now they are delivering on Sundays too.

They aren’t free and never will be.

It has been said that a private ATC corporation would look similar to the USPS.

The USPS wanted to get out of Saturday Delivery. Not only are they still delivering on Saturdays but now they are delivering on Sundays too.

They aren’t free and never will be.

And they are always broke. They operate at a deficit every year, the price of postage continues to rise with no help to bring down the deficit. They contract out numerous routes to non career employees and as my post office guy says "we're only government when we want to be" I assume that means they run a shit operation.

And they are always broke. They operate at a deficit every year, the price of postage continues to rise with no help to bring down the deficit. They contract out numerous routes to non career employees and as my post office guy says "we're only government when we want to be" I assume that means they run a shit operation.

Not only is that not true, the only reason they ever did go into the red was because the Republicans passed legislation mandating that they fully fund retirements up to 75 years out. Even with that, they’re still back in the black. Republicans tried to use them as an example of government not working, but then it worked so they tried to sabotage it and it’s still working.

And call me crazy but if they want to charge me 51 cents instead of 49 cents to give them a letter and havenit delivered to my friend in Alaska a few days later I’m cool with that.

Last edited:
Not only is that not true, the only reason they ever did go into the red was because the Republicans passed legislation mandating that they fully fund retirements up to 75 years out. Even with that, they’re still back in the black. Republicans tried to use them as an example of government not working, but then it worked so they tried to sabotage it and it’s still.

And call me crazy but if they want to charge me 51 cents instead of 49 cents to give them a letter and havenit delivered to my friend in Alaska a few days later I’m cool with that.
I'll look into it and if I'm wrong then my bad.

I'll never blindly dismiss privatization. There hasn't been a great proposal yet and everyone shutters at the idea but I'll gladly take a look at what they have to offer. I think it's foolish to say no before even seeing the plan.

Shutdowns are just political tools, that's the fault not the necessity of a "sustainable funding" so naturally I'm against privatization because the arguement for it is moot. It doesnt solve the causing issue it just removes the ATO from it, and creates other unforeseeable issues.

Like the term limit bill both sides are wary of throwing away a good tool to cement their positions. Republican senators roll out bill that would end all future shutdowns

Not only is that not true, the only reason they ever did go into the red was because the Republicans passed legislation mandating that they fully fund retirements up to 75 years out. Even with that, they’re still back in the black. Republicans tried to use them as an example of government not working, but then it worked so they tried to sabotage it and it’s still working.

55 cents starting Sunday ;)

I'll never blindly dismiss privatization. There hasn't been a great proposal yet and everyone shutters at the idea but I'll gladly take a look at what they have to offer. I think it's foolish to say no before even seeing the plan.

Let me know when you want to do shift swaps ?

Shutdowns are just political tools, that's the fault not the necessity of a "sustainable funding" so naturally I'm against privatization because the arguement for it is moot. It doesnt solve the causing issue it just removes the ATO from it, and creates other unforeseeable issues.

Like the term limit bill both sides are wary of throwing away a good tool to cement their positions. Republican senators roll out bill that would end all future shutdowns

BAM!!! THIS is the number one reason members should think twice about privatizing. It solves nothing, it only moves us away from the problem. And as I mentioned before, how many other government entities are pushing to be removed from government.

Back
Top Bottom