Privatisation and the Shutdown... Has your stance changed?

GulfCharlie

Comrade Commissar
FAA
Facility
Command Center
Inevitably the current situation will pass into memory but as someone once said "Never let a good crisis go to waste," has your stance of Privatisation changed? My personal opinion, given the nature of the political spectrum and these very unusual times, it has not. While the lack of pay currently has affected many people, how has it affected you? Are you now more receptive to a not-for-profit entity taking over just to ensure "stable and predictable funding?" The Union, given time (if they have not already started planning or at least laying the ground work) will surely bring this up at some point as an example of what can happen if we do not support Privatisation on the next go.

Anyway as usual respectful discussion because we all have opinions :)

It personally hasn't changed mine. Yeah I'm working for IOUs right now, but I know that I will still have a job at the end of this. When I was working for an airline it seemed like every year to 2 years they would lay off full time employees, and replace them with part time employees or rehire them back as contractors. You can't really trust a board of directors whose sole purpose is to make their airline money.

Last edited:
as a private pilot even before I got hired on with the FAA, I was against privatization for fear of what General Aviation could become under that type of system. I know GA would have been exempt from the "Pay to play" setup, but for how long?

Privatization is a terrible idea in general, and even worse when you start talking about putting the airlines in charge. Like wrench said, it would crush GA. The airlines have always complained about GA "not paying their fair share", and if given the chance, the airlines will fee the shit out of every part 135 and part 91 it can get away with. Everyone in 4, 5, 6, 7 and even some 8's may as well kiss their job good bye. Making some controllers actually care about anything below a 10, well, that's another challenge.

We need to fight privatization 100%

as a private pilot even before I got hired on with the FAA, I was against privatization for fear of what General Aviation could become under that type of system. I know GA would have been exempt from the "Pay to play" setup, but for how long?

Not long. First it would be the Part 135 flying into "Airline" airports. Then It would be all Part 135. Then all IFR. Then anyone receiving ATC services.

I’m against privatization. If the airlines threw their own retired employees under the bus, in regards to pensions, in the mid 2000s what makes people think they wouldn’t do that to controllers? With all the money airlines are making now, they should go back and appropriately compensate their own workers they shafted 10-15 years ago.

Hasn’t changed my mind. Has reinforced my belief that congress/senate/Pres need to face some sort of consequence for allowing the government to shut down. I think a law should be made where any elected official in place during a gov shutdown has shown their inability to properly govern and are therefor ineligible for reelection.

I think it works well in other countries because they aren't 'THE' capitalists driven societies we are with diversity in their system like we have, so still a no from me.

What they said. I don’t doubt that privatization has the potenial to be great for all aspects of aviation. But I have nothing but doubt about our governments ability to set it up correctly.

Too many airline seats on the board, it’s only a matter of time until they compromise safety in the quest for profits.

I watched the last hearing on it back when and the stupid shit they were talking about was ridiculous. One guy wouldn’t vote on it until E Cigs were banned or something and Wasted everyone’s time segueing about it. WTF does that have to do with ATC and privatization? I’ll take what we have over the unknown system they create.

Absolutely not.
I think it's bizzarre that anyone thinks cutting us off from govenment is any kind of "solution". Those people don't know the meaning of the word "solution". A solution would be as suggested above, no more government shutdowns. What privatization would do is create a whole new opportunity for various crisis' to arise.
Remember, you can't run away from your problems.

I'd be more convinced if every other government union was pushing for privatization. But why one small faction of one organization? Part of me wonders who is handing what amount of cash to our leadership, because it's gotta be there.
I think we'd be good for 5 or so years based on whatever agreement is crafted to convince us it's in our best interest, and then when renegotiation time comes, the rug gets pulled from underneath us.
The sole potential silver lining would be if we were able to strike if needbe, but let's be realistic.

Everyone here is against privatization I wonder if everyone here is in the FAA? If so then that is strange. The whole Rinaldi-Zelonis election was largely a pro/against privatization fight. Paul won with also 70% of the vote and pro-privatization Trish won by a bigger margin then that. Strange those would be the national results but these results are 100%-0% against it.

Everyone here is against privatization I wonder if everyone here is in the FAA? If so then that is strange. The whole Rinaldi-Zelonis election was largely a pro/against privatization fight. Paul won with also 70% of the vote and pro-privatization Trish won by a bigger margin then that. Strange those would be the national results but these results are 100%-0% against it.
In what way would it benefit the employee if ATC were to be privatized?

The rinaldi/zilonis election was therorized to be rigged by the Eastern region. I tend to agree. No zilonis info was distributed at my facility (pct) until a random supporter dropped a box on the facrep desk. Every other facility in the Eastern region was handled the same way. Zilonis claims that he sent boxes to every facrep in the country. Every facrep in the Eastern region claims that they didn't get anything from him.

Back
Top Bottom