Providing Medical Records as previous military member

Lima Lima

I ♥ pointSixtyFive
Good afternoon,

Question: does the FAA require you to provide your medical records as a previous military member?

I've checked the FAQs provided on this page as well as other current FAA controllers and have heard conflicting information.

Thanks for the help!

Good afternoon,

Question: does the FAA require you to provide your medical records as a previous military member?

I've checked the FAQs provided on this page as well as other current FAA controllers and have heard conflicting information.

Thanks for the help!

No, I'm a vet and have cleared medical. You wouldn't need them unless you have some sort of rated service connected disability or if you have an ongoing significant medical condition that you were treated for during your service.

If you need them, make sure to get sealed copies. Once the VA gets a hold of them, they get stuck in that bureaucratic nightmare.

Appreciate the responses! I've gone to mental health on two occasions in the past and I'm not trying to get rejected from the FAA.

Appreciate the responses! I've gone to mental health on two occasions in the past and I'm not trying to get rejected from the FAA.

Order your medical records as soon as can. It wouldn't be fun to need them and be stuck waiting a month or two to actually get them. If you have them before they're needed then it'll be a much quicker process instead of having to order them.

Last edited:
Ordered them last month!

I'm just worried about disclosing my mental health visits to the FAA is all.

Ordered them last month!

I'm just worried about disclosing my mental health visits to the FAA is all.

Did the military mental health diagnose and treat you for anything? If so are you being compensated for it? If both answers are no, you have nothing to worry about. If yes, you might have a problem unless the issue was solely because of the military. Example: failure to adjust to the military.

I was picked up off the 2016 bid and when I got my CIL, I had to sign an authorization form for the VA to release the contents of my military medical record. Pretty sure it was the dd2870? So I don' think there is much chance to hide anything.

I was picked up off the 2016 bid and when I got my CIL, I had to sign an authorization form for the VA to release the contents of my military medical record. Pretty sure it was the dd2870? So I don' think there is much chance to hide anything.
Was this when you got the CIL email first? Im a vet and did not get anything like this with my CIL, just giving the timeline and info for the 3 point of contacts for Security, Medical, and MMPI. I wouldnt want to get thrown out over a few visits to behavioral health.

Was this when you got the CIL email first? Im a vet and did not get anything like this with my CIL, just giving the timeline and info for the 3 point of contacts for Security, Medical, and MMPI. I wouldnt want to get thrown out over a few visits to behavioral health.

It was included in my CIL with the steps to be completed
"
3. CURRENT/PRIOR MILITARY MEMBERS ONLY:
If you have current or prior military service including Reserves, National Guard, and/or Coast Guard,
a) Using the attached instructions (SF180_DD2870_Instruction.pdf), complete the below forms which are required to complete the security and medical clearance process:
i. SF-180, Request for Military Records
ii. DD 2870, Authorization for Disclosure of Medical and Dental Information
b) Send the completed forms (SF-180 and DD2870) via fax to 314-538-2322"

It was included in my CIL with the steps to be completed
"
3. CURRENT/PRIOR MILITARY MEMBERS ONLY:
If you have current or prior military service including Reserves, National Guard, and/or Coast Guard,
a) Using the attached instructions (SF180_DD2870_Instruction.pdf), complete the below forms which are required to complete the security and medical clearance process:
i. SF-180, Request for Military Records
ii. DD 2870, Authorization for Disclosure of Medical and Dental Information
b) Send the completed forms (SF-180 and DD2870) via fax to 314-538-2322"

Interesting, I'm in the 07/17 bid. I wonder if they changed that part of the process, or maybe its at a different point for me?

I ordered the my records when I got my TOL, I wonder if I can use those.

Interesting, I'm in the 07/17 bid. I wonder if they changed that part of the process, or maybe its at a different point for me?

I ordered the my records when I got my TOL, I wonder if I can use those.

It wouldn't be strange if it's completely different for you, not sure if they would accept them from you unless maybe they were sealed copies.

Back
Top Bottom