Question that no one may have an answer to but its worth a shot

I went to CCBC and found it beneficial. How much is it worth to you is another question.

I was grouped in a class at the FAA academy that was half off the street and about half CTI graduates. During introductions, multiple CTI grads said their CTI programs taught them nothing. Wish I could remember their respected schools. Some did not pass the FAA academy. I attended basics, which was voluntary for CTI grads, as a refresher. CCBC gave me a huge leg up. I finished #1 in my class and #2 was another CCBC student. All of this can be accomplished without CTI. The final pros and cons decision will have to be yours.

I also recommend the Military Route. Free training and paychecks while you’re learning it anyway, once you have your certs and hours, apply for the experienced bids.

At your age, go military, but don't sign shit unless they can guarantee you an ATC job. Then after your mil contract is up, go to a contract tower. I started CTI back when it was was a good way to get in, then right before I finished, the government backed out of the CTI deal. And you're right, there is currently legislature that MAY help CTI graduates. But are you willing to bet 30k(at least) that same legislature will still be around in 2-4 years? I wouldn't.

Come on boys stop responding to this, the question was answered and we had the military vs CTI risk Vs rewards for CTI threads a thousand times. Don’t you realize that every time someone responds to this thread now it knocks the “why are controllers so fat” thread further down and potentially off the .65 cover page??????

Don't think I saw anyone mention it yet but in the most recent OTS bid, seems like they took pretty much everyone from Pool 1 who passed the ATSA, while they only took Best Qualified (BQ) applicants from Pool 2, and some BQs didn't even get a TOL. CTI school seems like it would at least guarantee a TOL (although who knows what might happen in a few years from now) but it still seems like it probably isn't worth it.

Toured Jax tower/tracon and the Jax center in the past couple months and was wondering if there was a way either of those facilities would be offered to academy grads in the next 2-3 years. I plan to apply in early 2022 and if all goes as planned (is that a thing with this career? lol) ill be done with the academy mid 2023.
I know there's no guarantee of getting the facilities we want when we graduate but with a good bit of folks retiring from center I wasn't sure how that affected OKC placement.
Thanks y'all!

Toured Jax tower/tracon and the Jax center in the past couple months and was wondering if there was a way either of those facilities would be offered to academy grads in the next 2-3 years. I plan to apply in early 2022 and if all goes as planned (is that a thing with this career? lol) ill be done with the academy mid 2023.
I know there's no guarantee of getting the facilities we want when we graduate but with a good bit of folks retiring from center I wasn't sure how that affected OKC placement.
Thanks y'all!
ZJX is a possibility, JAX would never happen since it's an 8 not that you'd want to actually go there from what I've heard.

The placement list updates every week. They literally can’t tell classes that are in Basics what will be on their list, and they’re graduating in 90 days. There’s 0% chance to have any idea what might/might not be on a list 3 years from now.

You can always hope for a certain facility, but if you’re interested in this career, be prepared (and expect) to be sent anywhere.

The placement list updates every week. They literally can’t tell classes that are in Basics what will be on their list, and they’re graduating in 90 days. There’s 0% chance to have any idea what might/might not be on a list 3 years from now.

You can always hope for a certain facility, but if you’re interested in this career, be prepared (and expect) to be sent anywhere.
Gotcha, one other question if you don't mind. Ive heard different things but what's a typical schedule for a center? Is it shirt work and you're going in later each day or do you work set shift? Thanks!

Gotcha, one other question if you don't mind. Ive heard different things but what's a typical schedule for a center? Is it shirt work and you're going in later each day or do you work set shift? Thanks!
It varies a bit from facility to facility, but for the most part, you’ll be on a Mon-Fri administrative schedule while you’re assigned to the training dept, which is usually 6-12+ months. Then you shift to a crew schedule when you go down to the floor to start D Side OJT.

Haven't you already created this thread?
Yes...

OP. You’re nowhere near being even slightly close to needing to be mildly interested in being vaguely informed about what facility you “will” work at. The question was already answered and you can find hundreds of other posts talking about how placement happens. If there’s another thread like this it’ll be deleted.

Yes...

OP. You’re nowhere near being even slightly close to needing to be mildly interested in being vaguely informed about what facility you “will” work at. The question was already answered and you can find hundreds of other posts talking about how placement happens. If there’s another thread like this it’ll be deleted.
This was a completely different question but ok go ahead and flex your big admin muscles. I’ve met and talked to a lot of really helpful people but some are just not I guess.

This was a completely different question but ok go ahead and flex your big admin muscles. I’ve met and talked to a lot of really helpful people but some are just not I guess.
Friendly tip, probably best not to get snarky with the guy who runs the site.

He has valid points as well that I think would serve you to consider. You mentioned in a previous post that you’re interested in ATC, but that you’re 17. If you’re focused on facility placement and crew schedules right now, you’re priorities are way off. Finish high school, get started in college if that’s the route you’re going, and work hard at that. Having an interest in ATC is great, but it’s a longgg journey to get there for anybody, and there are no guarantees. Take things one step at a time.

Lahardee, MJ has conducted this website with nothing but class and respect. He has a large amount of tolerance for redundant questions and new users of all levels. He designs this website when the old ATC forum page was collapsing so you need to afford him some respect.

Friendly tip, probably best not to get snarky with the guy who runs the site.

He has valid points as well that I think would serve you to consider. You mentioned in a previous post that you’re interested in ATC, but that you’re 17. If you’re focused on facility placement and crew schedules right now, you’re priorities are way off. Finish high school, get started in college if that’s the route you’re going, and work hard at that. Having an interest in ATC is great, but it’s a longgg journey to get there for anybody, and there are no guarantees. Take things one step at a time.
Not trying to be snarky by any means. I graduated high school last year and currently run my own tile/carpentry business. I’m not the sit on the couch and play video games all day 17 year old. I’m just trying to get as much info as I can about the career and what’s involved in getting to where I wanna go and if it’s even possible. I appreciate the help man.

Lahardee, MJ has conducted this website with nothing but class and respect. He has a large amount of tolerance for redundant questions and new users of all levels. He designs this website when the old ATC forum page was collapsing so you need to afford him some respect.
I apologize if it came across that way, I didn’t mean it like that. Just trying to gather information from folks who were in my shoes at one point. I’m starting to see this may not be the career for me unfortunately. I don’t have the desire to move halfway across the country with no guarantees of coming back home. Wish each center trained OTS people for that specific area haha. Thanks for the help

Apply and just ge touched up. See the country and travel the world. This job will afford you the opportunity to do both. You can eventually get back to Jacksonville. It’s a big world, explore it.

Back
Top Bottom